What happened to Zoom Window???

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
how do I zoom window in panther?

there used to be a zoom window under the window menu in jaguar. It is no longer there.

I want to make a window in finder fill the entire screen without having to drag it large.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    1. It's still there...

2. Green dot in upper left corner (+)
  • Reply 2 of 30
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Riiiight...but why is it gone from the menu?
  • Reply 3 of 30
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    1. It's not in the Finder's Window menu but it should be everywhere else (if it ever had it).

2. The green dot's Zoom feature is entirely sporadic.

- Finder toggles between current user-defined window size and placement and a show-only-window-contents mode which makes the window as small as needed to just show the available content (so this can vary).

- Other apps (Safari) only make themselves take up the whole height from Dock to menu but don't change the width.

- Still more apps do indeed expand to the entire available non-Dock, non-Menu space.

- Possibly more variations?

If it's something you routinely do, you can usually make an AppleScript (sometimes JavaScript) to make windows pop to maximum or custom sets of windows etc...

But I would love it if green dot ALWAYS maximized to full screen except the Dock...probably won't happen. It's enough in a developer's control that I don't think we'll ever see it used in a standard fashion.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by piwozniak

1. It's still there...

2. Green dot in upper left corner (+)

1. No it's not

2. the green button is to size it according to contents. If you try pressing it, it does not put the window to full view. (ie. is sporadic)

So wtf are you talking about?
  • Reply 5 of 30
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    He's right steve.

Zoom has *ALWAYS* worked that way, since the very earliest Mac days. It is *not* maximize, ala Windows. Never has been.

Now *SOME* apps have chosen over the last couple of years to break this, and perform maximize, but this is just plain wrong, and those apps are generally being fixed over time.

Full screen maximization is not a Mac behaviour. Never has been.

Likewise, *some* apps offer Zoom in the Window menu, such as Safari 1.2. Just checked it. Finder does not.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Ok... just wondering.

Why?

Why has System*/OS* never had the fullscreen maximize option? While I don't use it much... it does come in handy when working on the computers at my school.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

He's right steve.

Zoom has *ALWAYS* worked that way, since the very earliest Mac days. It is *not* maximize, ala Windows. Never has been.

No he's not.

In Jaguar in FINDER in the Window menu there was "zoom window" and what it did was maximise ala windows.

Don't believe me? Check it out on a Jaguar machine
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

Ok... just wondering.

Why?

Why has System*/OS* never had the fullscreen maximize option?

It has had the fullscreen maximise option.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by stevegongrui

No he's not.

In Jaguar in FINDER in the Window menu there was "zoom window" and what it did was maximise ala windows.

Way to edit out the rest of my post that explained that...

Apps that maximize are BROKEN. Period. Deal with it.

Zoom has been removed from the Finder for Panther. Deal with it.

Got it?

Finder in Jag was broken. It's been fixed.

Wickes:

Fullscreen is a lazy thing to do for apps that want to force you to work in one-app-at-a-time mode. Under Windows, that seems to be the norm. Think about it though... why on earth would you want the window to take up more room than the content? Blank space? Wasted space. Zoom, appropriately done, toggles between an optimum size for the content, and whatever custom size the user may have adjusted a window to.

Not all apps do it right, admittedly (like Jag's Finder, which was BROKEN, just to hammer home the point for those that may not have gotten it yet), but most do, and those that just lazily maximize are *completely* against the HIG and are (wait for it) *broken* and need to be fixed.

If you want fullsize, drag it full size one time, then use the Zoom toggle (green widget) to pop between that and the optimal size.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    I don't think you understand why I need it.

In finder I make all items kept arranged. The finder windows never contain the objects in a correct way, it's always too long and vertical.

pressing the green button does not help at all.

The zoom window is crucial when there are hundreds of files in a folder. I want to see as much of the contents as possible.

and dragging the window big takes ages when there are lots of files in there, I have a G4 not a G5.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Hmm, I am under Jaguar and just tried your suggestion. Indeed, the Finder does this exactly. But, if you click the green button of a Finder window, it switches between current and optimal window size. It looks like an inconsistency, since the zoom button never worked in the Mac in any application like the zoom menu item of Jaguar's Finder.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Quote:

1. No it's not

2. the green button is to size it according to contents. If you try pressing it, it does not put the window to full view. (ie. is sporadic)

I'm not gonna repeat what Kickaha already have said...
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Quote:

I don't think you understand why I need it.

In finder I make all items kept arranged. The finder windows never contain the objects in a correct way, it's always too long and vertical.

pressing the green button does not help at all.

Solution: don't tell the Finder to keep everything arranged for you. That gives the Finder free rein to move things around however *it* likes - and the way *it* likes is for a tall window, since that's what cognitive and perception research indicates is easiest for most people to deal with. By telling the Finder 'keep arranged', you gave up all control of the layout.

Quote:

The zoom window is crucial when there are hundreds of files in a folder. I want to see as much of the contents as possible.

and dragging the window big takes ages when there are lots of files in there, I have a G4 not a G5.

Turn off 'keep arranged'. Or, since you must be using icon view, try another view such as list or column.

It sounds to me like you came to rely on a bug and broken behaviour, and now it's been fixed. Unfortunate, but look for other options.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Solution: don't tell the Finder to keep everything arranged for you. That gives the Finder free rein to move things around however *it* likes - and the way *it* likes is for a tall window, since that's what cognitive and perception research indicates is easiest for most people to deal with. By telling the Finder 'keep arranged', you gave up all control of the layout.

Turn off 'keep arranged'. Or, since you must be using icon view, try another view such as list or column.

It sounds to me like you came to rely on a bug and broken behaviour, and now it's been fixed. Unfortunate, but look for other options.

Yeah, I'll try to adapt. But it still annoys me how without the keep arranged I would have to do "arrange" by name or whatever in all my windows at least once to make them layout nicely.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Well, you *could* write a little AppleScript that triggers the manual "Arrange By...", and make it into a Folder Action for those folders... anytime you drop something in there, it'll re-arrange appropriately, but not give it total control on the layout when you Zoom.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Why is there a screenshot of Safari with the Zoom menu?

Didn't we already say that some apps have the Zoom menu item but Panther Finder doesn't?
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Why is there a screenshot of Safari with the Zoom menu?

Didn't we already say that some apps have the Zoom menu item but Panther Finder doesn't?

He got confused
  • Reply 18 of 30
    No he didn't

read your question stevegongrui, where does it say you're asking about FINDER window...?

I was replying to your reply,

EDIT: so you don't get confused:

Quote:

1. No it's not

EDIT 2: #1 from the above...
  • Reply 19 of 30
    This sucker's spiraling towards a lock.

steve, has your question been answered?
  • Reply 20 of 30
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    There should be a special "Steve Forum" where Steve here can ask all the questions he could possibly want to ask. Then when people come to give him advice, he can yell at them for being wrong. It would be a good way to wind down at the end of the day.