Audio still skips in 10.3.2

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Audio still skips in 10.3.2. Anyone else seeing this? I think maybe Safari 1.2 caused it. It hadn't happened before and now with lots of network activity (just like 10.2.8) iTunes 4.2 will skip. Safari 1.2 is the only thing I've update, haven't gotten that Security or Java update. Haven't modified the system at all. Happens either AIFF or MP3. Suckage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    iTunes stubbornly skips almost every time I press the eject key on my iMac 450. Since ejecting CDs must not be resource-intensive, it's a shame. I suspect the OS (or Finder? ) just blocks any HD access during media ejection.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Audio still skips in 10.3.2. Anyone else seeing this?

How are performing the iTunes visuals? Is the 30 fps limit 10.2.8 brought still there?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

How are performing the iTunes visuals? Is the 30 fps limit 10.2.8 brought still there?

I was never aware of such a limit. 10.2.8 never gave me troubles. Are you sure you didn't check the preference for capping that's been there since iTunes was released?

You have several options if visualizers don't perform well. Enable OpenGL rendering. Use the "faster but rougher" option. Reduce window size. Reduce visualizer size. Get a third party visualizer (G-Force, WhiteCap, etc).
  • Reply 4 of 15
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Brad this is a common problem. PB I see that too. Even in Panther iTunes 4.2 visuals can not exceed 30 fps. Not on the dual G5 in the store here either. And in fact not even on my roommate's very fast PC. It's an iTunes 4.2 bug.

And yes Costique my iTunes now skips doing trivial things like that too! In fact it didn't do that in Jag.

I'm hoping 10.3.3 really kicks. I believe it will since it's had time. I bet it was just waiting on the new Samba. Here's hoping!
  • Reply 5 of 15
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Brad this is a common problem. PB I see that too. Even in Panther iTunes 4.2 visuals can not exceed 30 fps. Not on the dual G5 in the store here either. And in fact not even on my roommate's very fast PC. It's an iTunes 4.2 bug.

And yes Costique my iTunes now skips doing trivial things like that too! In fact it didn't do that in Jag.

I'm hoping 10.3.3 really kicks. I believe it will since it's had time. I bet it was just waiting on the new Samba. Here's hoping!

Jeez, Aquatic, if I didn't "know" you, I'd say you were just Kali posting under a different name for all the problems you have with your powerbook. It's really odd that I don't have any of the same issues with iTunes. In fact, the only thing that has caused any iTunes difficulty was Snapz Pro X2 recording while playing. Sorry to hear you're having such problems. Good luck.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

Ah, thanks Aquatic. At least we are not alone .

PS: by the way, does the fan-on syndrome of 10.3.2 affects you?
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

It's an iTunes 4.2 bug.

Now this is strange. I extracted from the system DVD of the 12" Powerbook, the original iTunes 3. Under 10.2.8 it behaves like iTunes 4.2, no more 30 fps in full screen, whatever the settings. I think it must be more than an iTunes 4.2 bug .
  • Reply 8 of 15
    If you say so. The fan thing gets me too but what is actually serious is that after Battery "update" my battery dies at 60% after an hour. ****ing shit I'm pissed but that's a separate thread. hehe torifile I'm not Kali, though I was I was in Montréal!
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Audio still skips in 10.3.2. Anyone else seeing this? I think maybe Safari 1.2 caused it. It hadn't happened before and now with lots of network activity (just like 10.2.8) iTunes 4.2 will skip. Safari 1.2 is the only thing I've update, haven't gotten that Security or Java update. Haven't modified the system at all. Happens either AIFF or MP3. Suckage.

Do you refer to audio skipping while you are not doing anything else? I haven't seen that since 10.1. Try using the Activity Monitor to see if anything is sucking up processor time when it skips. I've noticed that viewing the International Herald Tribune site causes Safari to suck up 90% of CPU time.

FYI, I get up to 54 fps in iTunes, full screen, large size on a 15" Al PB.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    itunes was skipping on me pretty bad the other night, all i had open was safari, itunes, and the finder, though i do have a slow machine, that could explain it...
  • Reply 11 of 15
    That might be because you have a G3 400 but that isn't a lot open and with over half a gig of RAM I duno. I shouldn't have audio skip. It only does when there is a lot of network activity on Ethernet. Exactly the same as in 10.2.8. However it happened every single time in 10.2.8 and only once when there was a ridiculous amount of activity, with Poisoned, my Carracho server, and downloading things, in 10.3.2, but it still seems likely it's caused by the same thing. We'll see what 10.3.3 brings...it's had a while to shake out a lot of bugs!
  • Reply 12 of 15
    I've never had iTunes skip on my PBG4 867mhz. Try making a new account and log into that and see if iTunes is skipping like crazy. If not, the problem lies in your prefs/caches.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

That might be because you have a G3 400 but that isn't a lot open and with over half a gig of RAM I duno. I shouldn't have audio skip. It only does when there is a lot of network activity on Ethernet. Exactly the same as in 10.2.8. However it happened every single time in 10.2.8 and only once when there was a ridiculous amount of activity, with Poisoned, my Carracho server, and downloading things, in 10.3.2, but it still seems likely it's caused by the same thing. We'll see what 10.3.3 brings...it's had a while to shake out a lot of bugs!

that might be the reason.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    yeah, i posted a while ago about this problem...

my iMac G3 400 with 512 ram skips 10-12 seconds into every song with iTunes...

the problem is firewire bus use... (my machine boots off an external drive that also has my music on it)

it has not been resolved but it has been documented to death on apple's support forums...

I think it is a conflict between 10.3.2 and either iTunes 4.2 or Quicktime 6.5

it didn't happen before winter break with 10.3.0 or 10.2.8 on this machine...
  • Reply 15 of 15
    i never had skipping in 10.2.8