Fast user switching and internet connect

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I finally had a chance to update my 12" PBook to X.3, and while overwhelmingly very pleased with the update (particularly Expose which totally rocks), I was hoping for a bit more for fast user switching. Basically, my wife and I each use our own admin User accounts, and we share a dial-up Earthlink account. Unfortunately, when switching between users, the modem always disconnects. I was really hoping (perhaps unreasonably) that the connection would be maintained (disconnecting and reconnecting remains the main annoyance for me these days). When I can afford DSL or cable modem, perhaps this will be avoided...

Interestingly, if the non-active user has Mail running, it is able to successfully check mail while the active user is connected to the internet (i.e. after disconnecting and switching users, the now-active-formerly-nonactive user has new mail).

I was curious if anyone familiar with the inner-workings of the networking "components" of OS X.3 could comment on whether this issue falls in the range of minor bug fix versus major problem.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by chuckster

I finally had a chance to update my 12" PBook to X.3, and while overwhelmingly very pleased with the update (particularly Expose which totally rocks), I was hoping for a bit more for fast user switching. Basically, my wife and I each use our own admin User accounts, and we share a dial-up Earthlink account. Unfortunately, when switching between users, the modem always disconnects. I was really hoping (perhaps unreasonably) that the connection would be maintained (disconnecting and reconnecting remains the main annoyance for me these days). When I can afford DSL or cable modem, perhaps this will be avoided...

Interestingly, if the non-active user has Mail running, it is able to successfully check mail while the active user is connected to the internet (i.e. after disconnecting and switching users, the now-active-formerly-nonactive user has new mail).

I was curious if anyone familiar with the inner-workings of the networking "components" of OS X.3 could comment on whether this issue falls in the range of minor bug fix versus major problem.

i hear ya on this one. over christmas break (or whatever you wanna call it to be politically correct) i tried fast user switching with my family, and it was great, but i couldnt stay on iChat while my family surfed the net. oh well, you could say fast user switching is still a "1.0" app...
  • Reply 2 of 13
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    I believe that unchecking the "disconnect when user logs out" box in "PPP options" will solve your problems.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    JBL,

Excellent. Thank you for pointing out that option. Submenus, submenus, submenus... It works perfectly now.

• Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by JBL

I believe that unchecking the "disconnect when user logs out" box in "PPP options" will solve your problems.

what the hell is PPP?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

what the hell is PPP?

Point to Point Protocol.

In the absolute briefest definition, it's the method in which data is sent/received over dial-up connections (using modems).

Modems would use PPP whereas cable/DSL/etc would use DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol).
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Point to Point Protocol.

In the absolute briefest definition, it's the method in which data is sent/received over dial-up connections (using modems).

Modems would use PPP whereas cable/DSL/etc would use DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol).

well i'm using cable, so i do i set it so it wont lose the connection??? i've checked everything and havent found any options to change it.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Point to Point Protocol.

I've never seen a Cable or DSL connection use DHCP, especially since DHCP doesn't have authentication. Most Cable and DSL connections either use PPP over Ethernet, or PPTP.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    I am using Cable and it uses DHCP. I used to have Earthlink DSL and it used something else, maybe PPP. With cable I don't have to have a password to connect to the internet. Just plug the cable modem into my Mac via Ethernet and there it is. With DSL I had to have a password set inorder to connect.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    I'm on adelphia cable modem and it uses DHCP. The only catch is it caches your MAC address, so you can only use one "device" on it. If you switch you have to wait 6-8 hours for the cache to clear. That's where airport comes in.

About the user switching. Check under the accounts pref pane the users limitations. Make sure that they are allowed to access the internet.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr Beardsley

I'm on adelphia cable modem and it uses DHCP. The only catch is it caches your MAC address, so you can only use one "device" on it. If you switch you have to wait 6-8 hours for the cache to clear. That's where airport comes in.

About the user switching. Check under the accounts pref pane the users limitations. Make sure that they are allowed to access the internet.

yes, actually every account has unlimited access (not admin though). it still disconnects iChat when switching...
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Hmm... Both my dad and my friend use fast user switching and it doesn't disconnect either of them. My dad uses dial up, and my friend is on a cable modem.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr Beardsley

Hmm... Both my dad and my friend use fast user switching and it doesn't disconnect either of them. My dad uses dial up, and my friend is on a cable modem.

it doesnt disconnect iChat?? thats really the only thing i care about, and it always disconnects me.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Oh, sorry. The internet stays connected. iChat will disconnect and then reconnect.