Need Help Please, Best Browser In OS 9

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
My brother is still using a 7300 Powermac and only use's it for e-mail/web and office. Doesn't need a new mac as of yet and is happy with what he has. But after using Safari on my Dual PowerMac he has asked me if there is a faster browser than IE that he still use's on his 7300. I know there is no safari for OS 9 (he also wants tabs as it saves him looking for a web page if he has more than one open)

So far all i have found is iCab and Netscape 7.1

iCab is fast and has tabs which is cool but has issues rendering web some web sites. And has some bugs which pop there head up after 10min.

Netscape on the other hand which has tabs also, eats up all of his 128MB of ram in no time, almost making his computer unusable.

I know the 7300 is still good for web surfing and i know i can't get the kind of speed like safari and other os x browsers have to offer on it, But the question is. What is the best browser out there for OS 9 that has tabs?

Hope someone can help me and my brother out....thank you.

Frank_t

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    getting mozilla might be an option as well

opera is another alternative, but you have to pay to get rid of the banner...

it just may be worth it tho...
  • Reply 2 of 6
    There's a build of Mozilla 1.3.1 out there. That would be your best bet, IMNSHO.

edit: Here's a copy:

http://www.t3.rim.or.jp/~harunaga/mozilla-macos9/
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Well his happy now with opera...he is going to keep IE around as there are those sites that won't work with anything else. Thanks for your help guys

Frank_t
  • Reply 4 of 6
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Thanks Brad! The latest offical version of Mozilla for Mac OS 9 is 1.0.2ish.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

Thanks Brad! The latest offical version of Mozilla for Mac OS 9 is 1.0.2ish.

No, the latest version of Mozilla for MacOS 9 is Mozilla 1.2.1. No version newer than that will work on the Mac. However, Mozilla requires a lot of resources on the Mac. It works OK on a G3, but a PM7300 may require a G3 or G4 upgrade card to even approach being a pleasant experience.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

No, the latest version of Mozilla for MacOS 9 is Mozilla 1.2.1. No version newer than that will work on the Mac. However, Mozilla requires a lot of resources on the Mac. It works OK on a G3, but a PM7300 may require a G3 or G4 upgrade card to even approach being a pleasant experience.

That's true i used it on my bros 7300...took longer to load than the OS!

Frank_t