Mouse accelleration is driving me bonkers!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey,

Move the mouse slowly and it the cursor moves slowly times 2. Move it fast and it moves ultrafast! What?!

I just want one to one mouse movement. Unfortunatly the preferences pane doesn't give me any options. What can I do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Do you really want 1:1 movement? Nobody wants that...

Download USB Overdrive, play with it, then purchase it if you like it.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    1:1 == Yucky!
  • Reply 3 of 43
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    What's a good ratio you for you guys?
  • Reply 4 of 43
    I want a linear curve of acceleration is what I mean. Not a logarithmic one

I'll try out the USB thing, but does it work with my bluetooth mouse?
  • Reply 5 of 43
    Wow, I have never seen anyone prefer the old Windows-style linear acceleration over the curved Mac-style acceleration.

Maybe you should give yourself a week or so to try it and get used to the way it works on Macs?

USB Overdrive should work with any mouse.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    evoevo Posts: 198member
    This is one of the main things that bug me about OS X. OS 9 didn't have weird acceleration like this, why did Apple decide to put it in? The Windows/OS 9 "linear" acceleration feels so much more natural, I don't understand why someone would want it different. It seems to be harder to play 3d shooters or do detailed graphics work. It sucks I have to use USB overdrive just to get it right.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by eVo

This is one of the main things that bug me about OS X. OS 9 didn't have weird acceleration like this, why did Apple decide to put it in? The Windows/OS 9 "linear" acceleration feels so much more natural, I don't understand why someone would want it different. It seems to be harder to play 3d shooters or do detailed graphics work. It sucks I have to use USB overdrive just to get it right.

I think I disagree with everything single thing you said.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by eVo

I definately disagree with everything you said.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    I can't believe this thread actually exists.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    What the hell? OS X's mouse acceleration is AWESOME and efficient as well.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I think some mice have different accelerations as well. When I got my MX700 to replace my MX500 a few days ago, it seems that the acceleration was accentuated - faster when moving fast, slower when moving slow. But I am getting used to it.

That's my advice - just get used to it. It'll only take a few days.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    I have a kensington mouse and the mouseworks software lets to adjust the acceleration to exactly the way you like it, complete with a graph and everything, very nice.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    I didn't know there was a difference. OS 9 / OS X feel the same. Someone explain the difference.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    When I switched to that logitech mouse the same thing happened to me...

It went REALLY fast compared to the stock apple mouse...yeah, REALLY fast.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by JohnHenry

When I switched to that logitech mouse the same thing happened to me...

It went REALLY fast compared to the stock apple mouse...yeah, REALLY fast.

Probably because Logitech uses a super-precise 800 dpi sensor, whereas Apple has a 400 dpi sensor. Therefore, the Logitech will go twice as fast unless you turn down the tracking speed.

I have to set tracking speed to the highest setting when using an Apple mouse, but with my Logitech, it's on the fourth-slowest setting (closer to the left end of the slider than the right).
  • Reply 16 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by eVo

There is something wrong with this dude. Windows acceleration sucks. I really like the way OS X does it. I didn't mind OS 9, but it did take a while to get used to doing things in X.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    You can use this site to help test your mouses acceleration.

http://www.stopesso.com/funstuff/spank.html

(Not plugging the site, I just like the music. Anyone know where its from?)

Dobby.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    The music is from Rapper's Delight, an old skool rap from the late 70's by The Sugarhill Gang.

w3rd y0.

A hip, hop, hippa, a-hippa to the hip hip hoppin you don't stop the rockin to the bang bang boogy say up jump the boogy to the rhythm of the boogity bee.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    evoevo Posts: 198member
    Wow, I didn't realize so many people disagreed with me. I guess I've just never really given OS X's acceleration a shot. I'm so used to the OS 9/Windows linear acceleration that OS X's feels so awkward. As soon as I try it for like 5 minutes, I end up getting frustrated and using USB overdrive to alter the acceleration. I've been using USB Overdrive for OS X since it first came out.

What are the real benefits of using OS X's acceleration? How long it did take for you people to get used to it?
  • Reply 20 of 43
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

USB Overdrive should work with any mouse.

Works with any USB mouse. Sadly it does not work with any Bluetooth mouse. Yet another reason to avoid Bluetooth mice.