PowerMac G5 or Powerbook G4? ...Or both?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am currently running a beige G3. While it has been a good computer, only throwing an occasional fit, the time is fast approaching for it to retire.

Thanks to your friend and mine, Uncle Sam, who robbed me blind all year long, I will soon have a nice chunk of change arriving in my mailbox.

So... What should I buy?

I crave the power of the G5.

I crave the mobility of the Powerbook.

So I'm thinking...

Should I get the G5 (one the the VT refurbs)?

Should I get a 15" PB?

Or should I get the G5, and then in a few months, introduce it to it's sibling, the 12" PB?

And if I get both, is there an easy way to sync the files from one to another? (Forgive my ignorance, but...) Does iSync do this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    If you have the money get both! iSync wont do what youre suggesting, but firewire will. Just hold down t while restarting and the computer will go into target disk mode, where it brings up the HD of one of your computers, allowing you to drag and drop files or anything off of it and onto your other machine.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    No, iSync doesn't sync files. It'll only do your contact and calendar information.

If you can get both machines, go for it. You might benefit, however, from buying the 15" Powerbook and then a bunch of accessories and stuff to go with it (tons of RAM, AE base station, etc.). You'd be very happy either way.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

If you have the money get both! iSync wont do what youre suggesting, but firewire will. Just hold down t while restarting and the computer will go into target disk mode, where it brings up the HD of one of your computers, allowing you to drag and drop files or anything off of it and onto your other machine.

Do you (or anyone) know if there is software out there that will sync files (or folders) automagically?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Two very good freeware utilities come to mind: LaCie's SilverKeeper, and Sync X. Both should be available on VersionTracker.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    CCC
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

CCC

Huh?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I think CCC refers to Carbon Copy Cloner. Take a look on Version Tracker.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I think CCC refers to Carbon Copy Cloner. Take a look on Version Tracker.

thanks
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Its not my money, Go for the gusto! enjoy! Live a little!
  • Reply 10 of 14
    I have both! I have the G5 with 20inch Cinema display and the 15inch 1.25 GHz AiPB. Love them both. If I had to choose one it would be the PB.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

I have both! I have the G5 with 20inch Cinema display and the 15inch 1.25 GHz AiPB. Love them both. If I had to choose one it would be the PB.

How do you go about syncing the files?
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Also, legally, since I will have two computers, would I have to have two licenses of all of my software? Or, since I would only be using one computer at a time, would one license be sufficient?
  • Reply 13 of 14
    I don't sync the files directly. I have a 200Gig firewire HD that I sync each to.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stroszek

Also, legally, since I will have two computers, would I have to have two licenses of all of my software? Or, since I would only be using one computer at a time, would one license be sufficient?

It depends on the software. Some licenses allow for that while others don't. But I think that you'll be safe having the software on both computers as long as they're not running at the same time.