3D Animators on Mac?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Hey G in the S,

Thanks for your insights, very helpful. I hope you don't mind, but I forwarded your tips onto a few of my class mates as I think it will help them as well.

Les.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    I have been working in the visual effects, Film and Video, and at Alias, the 3D software company for a total of 13 years. Of all the platforms (SGI, PC, Mac) I still use my mac the most. In fact I use Maya on my Powerbook exclusively. I love Panther, Apple industrial design, Final Cut, blah blah blah...

For me it's more than just having a fast machine. It's about being productive and actually making a profit in your business. Apple for me has been a huge blessing. I don't have to worry about hardware and software incompatibilities and stupid viruses slowing me down.

My 2 cents.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Hey boba fett

What's the BB tv interview for?
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

Hey boba fett

What's the BB tv interview for?

I did a short film called The Transfer for a festival called Digital Gun Awards.

http://www.digitalgunawards.com/thetransferhtml.html

http://homepage.mac.com/bgundu/PhotoAlbum6.html
  • Reply 25 of 32
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

I am an amateur doing all modelling in Cinema 4D, does it count?

Amateur, my ass! We've seen your stuff!
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Quote:

Hey Mr. G in the S

Any words on when will OpenGL 2.0 be offically released?

I have heard "coming soon" for a long time

Also......if you don't mind please go check out my site (in my signature). Tell me what you think

But promise me don't laugh.....I know it's amatuerish (the character movements needs a lot of work, I will try to work a bit harder in that department on the next installment)

Leonis if you want to latest info on OpenGL 2.0 I would go to www.opengl.org to get the latest info. They are very good about updating the info about OpenGL and the meetings that are going on. In fact this is one of the best sites for info on OpenGL in general.

As for your work, your visuals are very good. You have some nice use of camera framing in some of the pieces. It also looks like you are making good use of mixing 2D and 3D work together. This is a very powerful skill to learn. People some times want to do it all in 3D, but it results in more work than it usually needs to be. I think you are right about the character motion, but it is a very good start.

One suggestion is that you might want to add higher quality textures to some of your models to help give them more realism, if that is what you are after.

It looks like you all ready have a good grasp on how to use some of the tools. The thing I think I would work on now to improve your pieces is your story. You can have the best visuals in the world, but if your story doesn't keep people interested then your visuals are nothing more than eye candy.

I would create shorter segments that have more story punch in each piece. That way you keep people interested, and wanting to come back more often. A good way to improve your skills with the tools is to do someone else's story. I know that it sometimes feels like you should do it all on your own. But when you work with someone else's story it gives you a perspective of what it's like working in a production house. This also lets you explore other ideas in a way that you might not have come to on your own.

Other than that you have done some great work for one person working on there own. Especially if you don't do this for a living, and it is for pure fun and enjoyment.

Nice work!!!

- G in the S
  • Reply 27 of 32
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Leonis I enjoyed XI a lot.

It's not easy to create an entire world like that. Any flaws are more than made up for in ambition.

It's a world/vibe I hadn't quite seen since Richard Corben's underground comic work, Den specifically... (adults only, sorry!)...

He had some similar color sense and nice blurring going on. And stories that are at once familiar yet original.

Keep em coming!
  • Reply 28 of 32
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I'd say that Maya Unlimited will be on the Mac pretty soon, due to the G5 and Pixar switching. Proabably by v6.0
  • Reply 29 of 32
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G in the S

One suggestion is that you might want to add higher quality textures to some of your models to help give them more realism, if that is what you are after.

[/B]

Yeah I will. Actually there are quite a few (two or three) characters in that scene have more detailed skin texture....but it' the lighting stuff that hide the details

As I have to build like around 100 models in 2 and a half month I really did sacrifice many other areas
  • Reply 30 of 32
    While were on the subject any people interested in character animation should check out The Human Figure In Motion by Eadweard Muybridge. It's all sequences of human motion using high speed photography. It's a classic book and it will really show you what your keyframes should look like for a lot of different types of movement. You can find it in a lot of places including amazon.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    the problem with muybridge is that many sequences were pieced together from photographs made from different viewpoints (i.e. cameras failed during the sequences and other photos were spliced into the sequences). besides, he was basically just a perv. the work of etienne jules marey is much more useful, and includes many records of animal movements including bird flight that are astounding.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by cowerd

the problem with muybridge is that many sequences were pieced together from photographs made from different viewpoints (i.e. cameras failed during the sequences and other photos were spliced into the sequences). besides, he was basically just a perv. the work of etienne jules marey is much more useful, and includes many records of animal movements including bird flight that are astounding.

I agree 100%. A great book to check out is:

Picturing Time:

The Work of Etienne-Jules Marey

by Marta Braun