Tracking on Apple Wireless

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just bought a new wireless mouse by Apple, but when I start using it it occassionaly skips, or moves in the opposite direction of which I'm actually scrolling. Seeing that this is an optical mouse, it leads me to believe that the problem is a tracking issue and I was wondering if anyone else has had this. I suppose my desk is too difficult for it to read, but it is rather irregular and my Microsoft Optical for former desktop had no problems. Hmmm, if anyone can offer suggestions about this I'm all ears. Also I've contemplated a mousepad but thats restrictive and rather uncomfortable, if there was one out there that was paper thin that stuck to my desk. That sounds ideal.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I got something like that once when there was dust on the lens. Might try to blow ion it.\
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Hmm lens is clear. Could this be a hardware issue, might I have gotten a faulty optical camera?.. :-(
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Two more things come to mind.

1) Is is on a optical mouse-friendly surface. (Where it can't see it's reflection)

2) Don't Apple optical mice have a hight adjustment where the optics can move slightly depending on what surface you use? You could try a different setting.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    It's the surface I'm 99% sure. Why do they act differently? I don't know, but mice do. Try it for a while on a different surface, but that is most likely your problem as it has been the problem for everything I've ever seen.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    I'm pretty sure its the surface you guys are right. Theres a hight adjustment option? I wasn't aware, I'll look into the manual. I'm hesistant in getting a mouse pad just because theyre so thick. So I really dont know what to do. I can't replace my whole desk.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    if the surface you're using is very polished, and not a matte finish it can seriously play with the mouse.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Some of apple's optical mice have a rotating ring around the optics with a + on one side and a - on the other. I think this is an adjustment ring.

But some of apple's mice don't have it.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    (outside possibility but might as well suggest it if only to eliminate one theory)

Bluetooth performance decreases with range... and bad batteries.

Swap batteries and see if the problem persists.

Any difference when it's closer to the BT antenna versus >6ft ?

Which machine are you using it with?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Some of apple's optical mice have a rotating ring around the optics with a + on one side and a - on the other. I think this is an adjustment ring.

But some of apple's mice don't have it.

IIRC, that's for the amount of stiffness when you click.

I noticed this problem when I stopped using my mousepad on a wooden desk. The grain of the wood messed with the optical laser.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Really? Intresting. Kinda makes sence though.\
  • Reply 11 of 15
    In other news, my $30 five button logitech optical mouse never has any tracking issues
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

In other news, my $30 five button logitech optical mouse never has any tracking issues

LoL same thing with my 35$ Optical MICROSOFT mouse...anyway. I'm pretty certain that it is the desk I am using, as someone mentioned above it is the grain of wood. I was surprised tho because the other mouse was flawless. Anyway, the bluetooth isn't it the batteries are brand new, and its sitting right next to the 15in. pb.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

LoL same thing with my 35$ Optical MICROSOFT mouse...anyway. I'm pretty certain that it is the desk I am using, as someone mentioned above it is the grain of wood. I was surprised tho because the other mouse was flawless. Anyway, the bluetooth isn't it the batteries are brand new, and its sitting right next to the 15in. pb. So in other words I'm now in the market for a new desk, or something to change the surface. This is problem comes and goes, but its irritating.
    • I need a very thin mouse pad or some sort of plastic coating for a small portion of my desk - Any suggestions?

• Reply 14 of 15
    okay... troubleshooting diagnostic routine

batteries... tested ok.

antenna range... ok.

BT Pairing during setup allowed to fully complete? (Check the red light)

BT Firmware updated? ** see link/note at bottom of this post before updating **

Full key function on startup shortcuts? (Proof of full setup and pairing)

to confirm the surface is an issue - yet isn't for another type of optical mouse on the same textures? -

grab a small mirror or the back of a glossy book or magazine or CD cover for simple testing.

if mouse function improves on surface x or y over the same range of motion, (since smaller moves might track better), you've got confirmation the surface of your desk is an issue.

there are a variety of mousepads that are sold specially for optical mice.

but before you jump to conclusions and buy new furniture,

you may note that the discussion boards have similar reports

sounds like some issues with the 1.5 firmware... people are reloading 1.4.1
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Hmmm thanks!

For some odd reason, the bluetooth updater wont install on my PB. It's very weird, the specs say version 1.2.8 or newer, and i have 1.3.2, but i still recieve a "only on version 1.2.8" error, I'm updating firmware manually right now