When is the optimal time to buy in (Apple) product cycle?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I know...when you need it, right?

But I'm speaking strictly about price. I recall someone once posting a chart or theory in Apple's product cycle on when the best time to get the best price.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    If you want price, near the end. You can look for the end a Mac Rumor's buyers guide.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    You have two choices...

Buying the newest products the week it comes out, or buying last weeks best the week new products come out.

My brother wanted a computer for college but only had so much to spend so I told him to wait, and we bought his QuickSilver 733Mhz for the price of the lowest PowerMac when a day earlier it was the price of the fastest. Same computer, different price.

I bought my PowerBook 1.25Ghz the morning it came out...woke up at 4am just to watch the expo to see it come out.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Honestly if your main concern is price, you shouldn't even get a computer at this time. Better to wait until you can afford exactly what you want at whatever price point Apple sells it to you at.

When worrying about price, you get into the perpetual loop of waiting until a product is near the end of its cycle to buy, then feeling like you have an immediately outdated piece of hardware should you buy it. There's too much doubt surrounding a purchase one makes that one can not comfortably afford.

I say hold out, save some more money, then go crazy.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    There is more than one way to look at price...

Ok, if you by at the end of a cycle, then you will perhaps have a lesser product that what you will have in a few months down the road...

Of course there is some give and take there... Depreciation... Depression of having to wait for the newer and improved...