DVD Compression

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Alright...I have a DVD in a folder on my hard drive...its a DVD that I paid for and own...but it's taking up a lot of space...do any of you guys know any good compression software?

they had one on the Screen Savers the other day...but it was for PeeCee

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I have good results with handbrake. ffmpeg is also popular if you know exactly what you want.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

I have good results with handbrake. ffmpeg is also popular if you know exactly what you want.

thanks...I'm playing with it right now...takes a while though eh?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Slotracer152

Alright...I have a DVD in a folder on my hard drive...its a DVD that I paid for and own...but it's taking up a lot of space...do any of you guys know any good compression software?

they had one on the Screen Savers the other day...but it was for PeeCee

You do understand that the content of a DVD is already compressed, don't you. That means that any compression done by you will necessarily lower the resolution of your film.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    you also realize that ripping dvds is illegal even if you own the dvd and its for personal use right? the laws for cd's and dvd's are different.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Copyright laws are changing but there is nothing wrong with making a copy of something you own for personal use. You are simply time-shifting and that is allowed. The MPAA will not bust down your door.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    This is interesting - Court rules DVD burning software illegal

The software is on the PC side, but this affects Mac users too.

The maker, 321 Studios, says that they'll fight it.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    That software removes the encryption and burns the movie back onto DVD. You can easily give the copies to friends. However, copying the movie to a hard drive to view is OK.

Quote:

Violations often occur when the use is motivated primarily by a desire for commercial gain. The fact that a work is published primarily for private commercial gain weighs against a finding of fair use.

Quote:

Federal "Fair use" permits consumers' "limited personal, non-commercial use of lawfully obtained copyrighted material without prior consent of the copyright owner."

It's kinda the same thing as recording a TV show to watch again.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

You do understand that the content of a DVD is already compressed, don't you. That means that any compression done by you will necessarily lower the resolution of your film.

yes...but I don't really want to take up 8 gigs on my hard drive...I was looking for a program to lower the res

I just want to put some movies on my HD so I don't have to take a bunch of movies with me while I am traveling...got a road trip to Austin this weekend and that is a long ride