Could Edwards Catch Up?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Like the title says, could Edwards catch up to Kerry?

What could create that surge?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Not likely.

Everytime I think of Edwards, I think, "Hyuk, hyuk, give me a chance and ah'll give you thuh White House hyuk." It's almost like he's begging, it's really pathetic to me.

Not that that really answers your question, I just thought I'd share.

If Kerry gave a speech to his supporters where he said, "Let me tell you somethin BROTHER... WHAT you gonna DOOO when KERRY runs WILD ON YOU George W. BusH?!?!", that might help Edwards a little.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Edwards is on a roll. I still think Kerry will win....but Edwards may damage Kerry enough to hurt him for the general election. I'll say this: Kerry is smarter than Edwards and speaks better. But, Edwards is much more likeable and more positive. There's something about Kerry that is venomous and harsh...and if the media plays that up, Edwards could rebound. Actually, some would argue that after his much better than expected showing in WI, he may have started to surge already.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    The thing is that Edwards did *not* do 'better than expected' in Wisconsin. On the contrary, the only polls that said Kerry was going to run away with it were ones that don't treat a voter like a voter. Some voters get extra points for being a teacher, being a minority, etc. Zogby immediately comes to mind.

The night before the primary, I saw polls saying Edwards could close the cap to about 6-8 points behind Kerry, and that's what it ended up being.

Edwards got a boost from candidates who dropped out (and from Dean who was about to drop out) and to his credit, was able to ride it to that 'close' finish. Still, Kerry won and in the end it wasn't terribly close, but the media sure played it up that way. It's a better story if the two candidates left in the race are competitive with each other.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I read an analysis that it would be virtually impossible, mathematically, for Edwards to catch up at this point. It has to do with the fact that the primaries are proportional, and so even if Edwards started winning lots of states, Kerry would probably get enough votes to still win. I think the only way it could happen is if some scandal (say, an intern scandal?) basically forced Kerry out.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Are the representatives chosen for some of the drop out candidates free to vote for the remaining candidates at thbe convension?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Every time i see Kerry on tv, i can imagine muting it and it would seem like he's delivering the most depressing news ever.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Are the representatives chosen for some of the drop out candidates free to vote for the remaining candidates at thbe convension?

Normally the candidate "frees" their delegates to vote for the nominee at the convention so it can be a unanimous vote.

And Edwards does have a chance, a very very very small chance, but a chance none the less of winning. Kerry has to implode at this point (see Dean, Howard) for Edwards to get anywhere.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    My nightmare scenario would be Edwards vs. Bush. At that point, I'd move to Zimbabwe.

Bush is leading us to an ideological civil war... Edwards, I feel, would lead us to a class war.

Of the two, I think an ideological war would be less damaging in the long run, but I think that Bush's economic pushes, while short-term good, are long-term bad. \

*sigh* What a predicament that would be.