Flash in OS X is still slow

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
is it still me or is Flash on www.romp.com for example still slow in OS X? It is slow in FireFox Safari etc. 1 fps on romp.com practically. EXCEPT I went there with OmniWeb 5.b2 and it was much smoother! However typing even in this form is having issues, OW is just weird but at leats it plays Flash smooth. Does anyone else see this Flash slow down? I' on 10.3.2 w/ G4 867 and 640 RAM I don't see why Flash is slow.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

is it still me or is Flash on www.romp.com for example still slow in OS X? It is slow in FireFox Safari etc. 1 fps on romp.com practically.

It's perhaps you. It runs smoothly here, Powerbook 12"-Safari-10.2.8.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

is it still me or is Flash on www.romp.com for example still slow in OS X? It is slow in FireFox Safari etc.

at a guess, i would say it's their programming (or lack thereof) of flash. i mean, FIVE MEGS for a flash movie? that's freakin' retarded (not to mention the humor... god, that was bad...*shudder*)

but having said that, the movies do play fine on my rig (os x.3.2, dual g4). who the hell came up with that dialog? maybe i'm just more annoyed because of the subject matter (i.e. mardi gras), and it's losers like those that give it the bad rep it has. but seriously, "damn, yo!" and "hush my mouth"??? animated breasts and blowjobs -- there's a way to do toilet humor intelligently (e.g south park), and then there's a way to do it stupidly. and that counts as number #2 (in every sense).
  • Reply 3 of 8
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    ahh the fineness of the ROMP! it's an "acquired taste" sort of like how my cous described beer. Meh. Point is it's smooth on PC, not on Mac, except OmniWeb. PB I remember Flash actually being smooth for some window of time in Jag and then when I upgraded, I think from Flash 6 to 7 (??) that was what did it. Don't know why OW is different, perhaps it has a newer or older plugin inside itself that it uses.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Point is it's smooth on PC, not on Mac, except OmniWeb. PB I remember Flash actually being smooth for some window of time in Jag and then when I upgraded, I think from Flash 6 to 7 (??) that was what did it. Don't know why OW is different, perhaps it has a newer or older plugin inside itself that it uses.

well, not sure what's causing the problem. i can say that flash used to run dog slow in every browser up until safari for me. i would see a flash site, and then see it on a comparable pc, and the difference was night and day. then when macromedia started updating the mac version of the player more often and safari kept getting improved, i haven't noticed any huge difference between the two sides of the fence.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Just for the record, the 'romp' site is perfectly fine for me in Safari. I have a dual 1.8 GHZ G5 and the 'wimpy' ATI 9600 cheapo graphics card option.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Just for the record, the 'romp' site is perfectly fine for me in Safari.

Same here. Dual 500 G4, 832 MB RAM, Original Radeon, Mac OS X 10.3.2. It definitely plays at a watchable framerate. It's not even close to 1 fps.

There must be something wrong specifically with your setup, Aquatic. I would suggest using MenuMeters or Activity Monitor to keep an eye on your CPU usage. If something else is using up the CPU, the framerate will drop.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Aquatic, I'm beginning to think more and more that there's just something wonky with your setup. Over here, on a rev. a 12" with 640 megs of ram, that site plays just fine. I'm not sure what the issue is over there. I second Brad's rec that you see what's eating your CPU.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Aquatic, I'm beginning to think more and more that there's just something wonky with your setup.

Funny. I had the same thought after seeing a couple of Aquatic's other posts today.