Airport and wireless lan help!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
i have owned and used my ibook 900mhz now for about 6 months and i have just purchased a belkin 802.11b wireless router and a regular airport card. i installed the airport card and installed the airport software. it recognizes the airport card because i see the little signal icon on the task bar. but it still will not pick up the router wireless it works fine wired. i tried installing the router software but keeps giving me a "router timed out"

ive tried reseting the router and airport card im just totally stuck! the router says its appletalk compatiable so i dont really know what that means if someone could please help it would be grateful. thank you jeremy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    The first thing I'd think it could be is that some sort of authentication isn't happening. What version of Mac OS X are you using, and do the instructions for the wireless router indicate that there's a password that you need to install?

Please give us as much information as you can.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    You could try to do a hard reset. There is probably a tiny reset button on the back of the router and you will need a paperclip or something to press it. Try holding down the button for 1 minute.

I've used many different kinds of routers and the only one I had a problem with was the belkin one. I never got that working.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    You _have_ chosen your network(Belkin)'s name from the menu at the top right of your screen, right? Because you have to explicitly join a network. Just checking. There should be a check-mark next to your network's name.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

You _have_ chosen your network(Belkin)'s name from the menu at the top right of your screen, right? Because you have to explicitly join a network. Just checking. There should be a check-mark next to your network's name.

I was about to say that
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Most every router on the market does not require proprietary software. All you need to do to configure your router is to use your web browser. Just go to the IP address specified in your router's manual and then enter the default user name and password that is also listed in the manual. You do, of course, need to make sure you've selected the network, as other respondents have noted.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I asked what version of OS X you're using because back on New Year's Day I was helping a friend set up her computer to work with our network here. The problem was that she was using something like 10.2.4 and there was NO WAY the computer would have worked with the 128-bit HEX password on our wireless network. After an updated OS and Airport software...voila!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Hate to move a thread with good replies in it already, but this is a Genius Bar thread...