What modeling soft for 3ds ?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
What good modeling software for OS X, able to edit 3ds files, do you suggest to me ?

I need something with an easy interface, not too complex nor too big on HD if possible. Any adea ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kali

What good modeling software for OS X, able to edit 3ds files, do you suggest to me ?

I need something with an easy interface, not too complex nor too big on HD if possible. Any adea ?

Do you have *.max or *.3ds files?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I can't remember if SketchUp imports .3ds files or not. I know it doesn't import .max files. I mention it because it's the simplest to learn and use and it's relatively cheap for a 3D app.

Might also look at what Carrara and Eovia offer. I'm not familiar with their stuff, but I think their stuff is also cheaper than the $2000 apps.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    Yes, I have several .3ds files to edit.

I'm only interested in a 3D modeler with a minimal set of rendering options. I don't need all those industrial apps with billions of options which needs a full year course to learn, just to do some basic stuff.

I've tried Cheetah 3D, which opens .3ds files, but I don't like it much. I've tried also a free 3D modeling software from the Apple web site (I don't remember its name), but the interface totally sucks and it crash easily.

I liked MacroModel, or Extreme3D, but these are old programs (no OS X version).

What else then ?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    At the moment I only use Blender ( http://www.blender3d.org ) and, while I don't think it opens them right off the bat, there might be a script that can import them.