Chips Are Getting Hotter-So Sayeth Intel

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
CNNMoney Story

IBM and Apple need to start hammering this point. How much do companies spend on electricity every year running their server farms? Millions I imagine. The VA Tech Super Computer would be a great example for them to use. How come no one else thinks it's unacceptable for a chip to use close to 100 W of power?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    It's really nothing new that chips are getting hotter and I somewhat doubt IBM or Apple will want to harp on about the heat characteristics of their chips in the near future.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Yeah, the g5 is by no means a cool processor, 9 fans, 3 thermal heat zones? a cool processor shouldn't need that.

granted the new g5s run cooler, once they start going at 3.0ghz I doubt it'll last.

I remember an article I read a couple years ago, some guy removed the heatsink in his PC and fried an egg in the case, he said it was the most delicious egg he'd ever made

My brother's iBook g4 gets obscenely hot, it can be uncomfortable to have it on your lap for even a couple minutes.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    most serious server rooms are refrigerated in the first place... just crank 'em up!

until superconducitve technology or we change the laws of physics, copper wires=resistive heat, cap'n

if PowerTune on 90nm can indeed scale 1/2 1/4 and 1/100 across the mobo, not just CPU,

while peak loads are still rumoured to generate >60W out of the 97x FX,

the downclocking or selective sleep of low power mode stand to keep heat down significantly

...at least enough for IBM to suggest PowerTune might now make G5s practical for laptops
  • Reply 4 of 14
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

My brother's iBook g4 gets obscenely hot, it can be uncomfortable to have it on your lap for even a couple minutes.

You aren't supposed to actually use them on your lap, or any warm, soft or cloth surface. (I know?everyone does)

Apple specifically avoids ever actually saying "laptop". Ever notice? Portable, Powerbook, iBook, notebook, but never "laptop".

You might find one or two references to laptop if you dig deep enough but they are goofs. I'm positive the word is officially forbidden for use in Apple copy.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Wow...that's....a bleak future

My powerbook gets pretty hot sometimes, but not THAT hot, most of the time it's a nice pleasant warming of my loins in the middle of the frigid boston weather
  • Reply 6 of 14
    some companies actually design their buildings so that the server farm is on the lowest level and is used to heat the rest of the building. How nuts is that??'
  • Reply 7 of 14
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

some companies actually design their buildings so that the server farm is on the lowest level and is used to heat the rest of the building. How nuts is that??'

So it seems that Intel does have a backup plan for the Itaniums. If they can't be sold as servers, they can always be marketed as state-of-the-art house-heaters.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    Quote:

<snip>

Weird. My G4 iBook never gets that hot, even after watching a DVD...warm, but not obscene!
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

That's not nuts at all, that's very awesome.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by low-fi

Weird. My G4 iBook never gets that hot, even after watching a DVD...warm, but not obscene!

yeah, you'd think with the 640 RAM he has in there it would have more breathing room, but then again, he's usually always multitasking(downloading, browsing and gaming at once)
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by VanDeWaals

... How come no one else thinks it's unacceptable for a chip to use close to 100 W of power? ... IBM and Apple need to start hammering this point...

I believe that the new, not yet released, G5 (2nd version) chip is or will answer this question...

As for the Intel or AMD camp, this is a good question!
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

That's not nuts at all, that's very awesome.

i was referring how crazy it was that the farms can put off that much heat
  • Reply 13 of 14
    ah yes frightfully crazy
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by low-fi

Mine only gets hot when it's plugged in. And, if it's plugged in, it's usually on the desk.