post some of your favorite recipes...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
well, i am about all politicized out for today and am enjoying some leftover chili. only in the past couple of months have i moved from being a cereal & macroni kind of guy to someone who cooks legitimate dishes with some regularity...in fact, i love cooking and it has become somewhat of a hobby...i didn't own a single cooking spice all through college and now i have 5 or 6. anyhow, i don't have any totally killer recipes and am looking for some good ones to make...there are bunches online, but it is hard to tell which ones are good and which are just okay.

so, what are some of the recipes of some of your favorite dishes? yesterday i made a beer-cheese soup, but it was only so-so, so i won't propogate the recipe.

something i make pretty frequently is cincinnati chili. i prefer it to traditional chili and love making 4-ways (spaghetti topped with the chili, cheese, and some onions) though also enjoy it by the bowl. there are about a billion recipes around cincinnati for this stuff, and this seems to be a pretty good one, and the one i always make

Quote:

1 pound lean ground beef or turkey

1 medium (1/2 cup) onion, chopped

1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh garlic

1 cup water

1 (29-ounce) can tomato sauce

1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1 teaspoon instant beef bouillon

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon chili powder

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon ground allspice

1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

if desired:

1 (16-ounce) package uncooked dried spaghetti

Cheddar Cheese, shredded, if desired

Chopped red onion, if desired

- Cook ground beef (or turkey) in 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until browned (4 to 5 minutes). Drain off fat, if necessary. Add onion and garlic; continue cooking until lightly browned (2 to 3 minutes).

-Stir in all remaining ingredients except spaghetti,cheese and red onion. Continue cooking until mixture comes to a boil (4 to 5 minutes). Reduce heat to low. Cover; cook until flavors are blended (50 to 60 minutes).

-Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain.

To serve, divide cooked spaghetti evenly among 5 bowls; spoon chili mixture ove spaghetti. Top each serving with cheese and onion, if desired.

i generally let it simmer for about 1 1/2 hours rather than just the 50 to 60 minutes the recipe recommends. yummmmmmmmmmmm

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Progmac. Here's a nice soup for ya. It's really easy but utterly delicious and I make it all the time, especially in winter.

Roast some sweet potatoes and some squash at about 180 degrees for about half an hour in some oil with some rosemary and some thyme. (If you can get yams uses half a yam instead of the squash. You don't need to peel the squash.)

While that's roasting, fry up some onions, some chillies and some garlic.

When they're done, add the the roast veg, put in some vegetable stock and some coconut milk and let it all simmer a bit with some coriander. The veg should be done, even crispy, and the onions should be nice and soft, so it doesn't need long at all.

You need a blender to finish this soup, so blend it now.

Garnish with some coriander leaves and serve nice and hot with some crusty bread.

Delicious, I say. We need more recipe threads.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

What we need is the full version of your cook book.

What if we ended up in a new 6 month black out and you lost interest in the mac and never returned here? All hope would be gone. 4 recipies/year just doesn´t cut it.

Is that 180 f or c?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    1 can of Spaghetti-O's

follow directions on can
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Anders:

I'm not giving up on Macs or you.

That's 180c / gas mark 4, but you can happily cook it hotter and shorter. Take it all out when's it's crispy and soft in the inside.

Oh, oh oh: a nice thing to do is to roast whole cloves of garlic with the vegetables. Don't peel them or chop them when you roast them, just squeeze out the garlic cloves and throw them whole in the soup when they're done. Roast garlic tastes completely different to fried garlic and is one of the best things in the world.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    i know how to make very few things, but i enjoy them very much. the easiest not-ridiculously-easy thing i know, is french toast. two eggs, small amount of milk, if available a kicker of vanilla, and cinnamon. mashed together, then spread onto bread. bread should now be thrown haphazardly onto a well buttered frying pan of some kind. failure to properly butter the pan will result in burning sensations, as perceived by the bread/pan, and stuck bread, and possibly black smoke. extra points awarded if the various pieces of soggy bread are hanging off the pan. the mixture can sometimes make 3 pieces. an extra egg, and a lil more milk, secure the fourth, and (if you get those real fat eggs) fifth piece. best served with english muffins, orange juice and several slabs of greasy, fattening bacon. the bacon juice can substitute for butter on the pan, if you feel you dont have enough cholesterol inside your ventricles.

my second favorite thing to make is pizza. i dont do that d'jornos stuff, though i do cheat. theres this dough mix, i dont know the name or nufin, but you add some water to it, whilst the oven is preheating at 450F (or is it 350F? i'm not sure. i just kind of memorized how to turn my hand on the ol' dial). mix it thoroughly, but regardless of how good a mixer you be, you'll invariably have to add extra flower (or flour, at your discretion). then form into a circle (or other shape(s), for a nontraditional dish) on a metal dealie. turn the edges of this shape in such a way as to block the flowing sauce which will soon fill. at this point, i optionally add an under layer of mozarella. after the optional moz, i put a layer of marinara sauce (meat sauces, or generally other tomato sauces will work, but marinara is the best). it should cover the underlayer of cheese, if such a layer was made. if toppings are considered, i would now throw them on, but usually if i'm cooking for myself, it means i dont have enough money to afford such extravagances, and (i tell myself) i dont much like toppings anyway. top soil (ie, cheese) is now added, ontop. some people would put toppings on over the topsoil, but what do they know? i get about two pinches of oregano (accent on the 'a', ala Marge), and i put it over the pie evenly. its not absolutely necessary, but the pizza tastes a lot better with the oreGAno. i now put the metal dealie into the oven, and cook for 12-17 minutes, varying on the internal combustion routines of the oven. pop it out, and enjoy thoroughly. my pizza is better than anything i ever order. the pie is pretty small though, hardly enough for more than 2 people, and one person can easily handle it.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I´ll make my chocolate recipe widely available very soon.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

I´ll make my chocolate recipe widely available very soon.

Now. Now dammit.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    truffles, got this one off of BBC, and i'm a sugar freak, so, here goes:

Quote:

ingredients

200g/7oz dark chocolate, broken into pieces

175ml/6fl oz double cream

5 tbsp brandy, rum or other spirit of your choice (optional)

cocoa, icing sugar or finely crushed nuts, to finish

Method

1. Cover a baking tray tightly with two layers of cling film to put the truffles on to set.

2. Tip the chocolate pieces into a bowl.

3. Pour the cream into a pan and bring to a rolling boil.

4. Pour over the chocolate and stir until all the chocolate is melted. If you want to add booze, mix it in at this point.

5. Allow the mixture to cool at room temperature - this will take about 1½ hours - by which time it should be set.

6. Using a melon baller or teaspoon, scoop out bite-sized pieces. Dust your hands with icing sugar to stop them sticking and roll the pieces into balls.

7. Roll in sifted icing sugar, cocoa or crushed nuts and place them on the prepared tray.

8. Once they are set you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge for about a week.

• Reply 9 of 15
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

Progmac. Here's a nice soup for ya. It's really easy but utterly delicious and I make it all the time, especially in winter.

Roast some sweet potatoes and some squash at about 180 degrees for about half an hour in some oil with some rosemary and some thyme. (If you can get yams uses half a yam instead of the squash. You don't need to peel the squash.)

While that's roasting, fry up some onions, some chillies and some garlic.

When they're done, add the the roast veg, put in some vegetable stock and some coconut milk and let it all simmer a bit with some coriander. The veg should be done, even crispy, and the onions should be nice and soft, so it doesn't need long at all.

You need a blender to finish this soup, so blend it now.

Garnish with some coriander leaves and serve nice and hot with some crusty bread.

man, this one sounds REALLY tasty. too bad i don't have a blender...i might have to disappear my fiancee's blender, i have never seen her use it anyways.

i think i will bake a pizza tonight in honor of Freak. i'll probably make the dough though...well maybe not, depending on my laziness level
  • Reply 10 of 15
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

truffles, got this one off of BBC, and i'm a sugar freak, so, here goes:

this chocolate stuff sounds so good. unfortunately, chocolate gives me canker sores
  • Reply 11 of 15
    dude, that friggin' sucks, i love chocolate, i feel your pain man, i can't eat peanut butter.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I'll keep tossing this link up whenever recipes are mentioned...it's a cookbook I made last month with the help of some of my friends/colleagues. PDF format, 768kb in size.

http://www.drewprops.com/downloads/other/sixdegrees.pdf
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Here is a hot chili recipe that I love and has been given rave reviews from friends who have made it. It does not have any tomatoes.

1/4 cup olive or vegetable oil

3-4 lbs ground beef

2 chopped onions

2 chopped green peppers

1 cup sliced jalepenos (the hot marinated kind)

1/3 cup chili powder

1 tbs oregano

2 ts cumin

1 ts salt

1 cup beer (I prefer a dark beer as it adds more flavor)

shredded cheese (optional)

Brown the beef in a oil with 2 tbs oil. I use 2 lbs ground sirloin and 2 lbs ground turkey so it is fairly low fat. Remove water/fat after browning and put meat into crock pot.

Saute the onions and green peppers with 2 tbs oil in the same skillet that you used for the beef.

Mix sauted onions/peppers and all remaining ingredients with the beef. If I'm making the chili for myself only (which I normally do), I put in 1 1/2 cups of jalepenos.

Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.

I serve with shredded cheese. The chili goes down very well with a good beer.

Trust me, if you like hot food, you won't be disappointed.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    2 lb ribeye

fire

salt

beer

The thing I'm most looking forward to about moving to Florida is that it's grill season all year. But I will miss the irradiated ground beef that is available at this otherwise awful store called "Wegmans." You just need to heat the stuff up. It's frickin awesome. . .

In the winter up here, my culinary art is suprisingly similar to that cooking scene with Tom Hanks from "Bachelor Party," (which incidentally is one of his better works ) But I have a severely compromised sense of smell so cuisine is lost on me anyway. Eating steak gets expensive, though, so when I'm alone I eat a pretty steady diet of canned tuna, bananas, and broccoli. I like to mix them all together with some helmann's original to round it out. If you're feeling creative you can toss on some chocolate sauce or various spices.

Honestly, I'm not joking. I lived on this stuff last summer when I wasn't grilling. Chocolate sauce and all. It you can get past the mental block, it's really quite good.

Anyway, I appreciate the chili recipes since I'm also a huge chili fan. Will try. . . . Gotta say, though, that Cincinnatti style just doesn't cut the mustard. Those Texas spices make it.

One last thing. . .

The one "sophisticated" food I make every now an then is called "Beer Can Chicken." It was written up in the Times a while ago since some guy who won all sorts of chicken cook-off's did it.

get a chicken. The smaller ones are best.

get a can of beer.

get your favorite seasoning. I like cajun style.

You can rub down the bird if you want, though injecting the cajun spiced olive oil into the bird is faster and better.

Drink half the beer, and dump some cajun spice in it.

Shove the can into the opening in the bird. (as far as I can tell, this is the bird's ass. you know, the thing you stick your hand in to gut it. . .)

Stand up the bird with can shoved in it on your grill. Slow cook it for a few hours. Make sure to monitor the bird every now and then. Usually it takes about 3 hours for me, though it's hard for me to tell you how much charcoal I'm using. . . anyway, if you're using a gas grill, set the burners to low-off-low.

It's tasty bird. I swear.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Oh I like that idea... nice! Cheap roasting stand, the beer and spices boil out onto the inside... perfect!

I found out the hard way once though, that injecting brats with beer doesn't work.

1) Beer contains alcohol.

2) Alcohol is flammable.

3) Injecting requires making a small puncture hole in the casing.

4) When beer boils off the alcohol, it expands and needs somewhere to go.

5) It finds the injection hole and escapes at high speed.

6) A high speed aereated alcohol/air mixture.

7) Into open flame.

I blew up my weiners.