Mouse accelleration is driving me bonkers!

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by eVo

Wow, I didn't realize so many people disagreed with me. I guess I've just never really given OS X's acceleration a shot. I'm so used to the OS 9/Windows linear acceleration that OS X's feels so awkward.

Was OS 9's mouse acceleration linear? I know it felt different (arguably better), but I don't think it was linear. It didn't feel like Windows.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I didn't think OS 9 was linear either...that is one of the things I disagreed with, but perhaps I'm wrong. Where is Brad or Kichacha when you need him?
  • Reply 23 of 43
    All this talk about mouse acceleration got to me and I went and bought an MX500...and I used to think 1-button was good...'till I got myself a 3-button mouse...and now 8! It's actually more like 5. I use the two side-buttons for Exposé and they also work well in games like Diablo 2, UT2k4 and others.

Mouse acceleration hasn't changed one bit...still as good as the last mouse I had.

It's great...I don't know how I'd live without this many buttons now.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    evoevo Posts: 198member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Was OS 9's mouse acceleration linear? I know it felt different (arguably better), but I don't think it was linear. It didn't feel like Windows.

Ok, maybe it wasn't linear, but I always thought it felt better and more like Windows than X's acceleration.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    "better and more like Windows"

Contradiction in terms? XP is much, much better than previous versions of Windows, but OS 9 and OS X are still better IMO. They both use the same logarithmic acceleration curve, but the profiles of the curves seem to be different. OS X feels slower at top acceleration than OS 9, that is, the curve is shallower. That's probably the problem we're talking about. But I'm fairly positive that OS 9 had non-linear acceleration, and felt nothing like Windows's mouse movement.

I always hated, and still do hate others' Windows computers when a slight twitch of my finger sends the pointer half way across the earth. Small movements feel exaggerated in Windows, making more precise control more difficult for me, and it's essential for the drawing I do.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    Yeah, OS 9 and OS X have very similar tracking curves and it only felt slightly different using one over the other. I have found that you have to play with the tracking speed according to your monitor resolution and what works well in one setup, will be painful in another.

Using older versions of windows was always a pain when trying to hit small targets, but I found that it feels like using a trackpad on a mac. When you're doing minute movements on my old powerbook, I find the cursor jumps too far though the full screen tracking is set well.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

You can use this site to help test your mouses acceleration.

http://www.stopesso.com/funstuff/spank.html

(Not plugging the site, I just like the music. Anyone know where its from?)

Dobby.

Wheee... 763 MPH!!! It's just like that penguin game...
  • Reply 28 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

Wheee... 763 MPH!!! It's just like that penguin game...

I only managed to get 273...I suck!
  • Reply 29 of 43
    eds66eds66 Posts: 119member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eudaimic

Hey,

Move the mouse slowly and it the cursor moves slowly times 2. Move it fast and it moves ultrafast! What?!

I just want one to one mouse movement. Unfortunatly the preferences pane doesn't give me any options. What can I do?

I actually agree. I like Windows acceleration better. Sorry.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by EDS66

I actually agree. I like Windows acceleration better. Sorry.

Don't be sorry, I feel sorry for you having to use the retard way. What are you going to do in XP? I don't think even ME uses linear.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    eds66eds66 Posts: 119member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Don't be sorry, I feel sorry for you having to use the retard way. What are you going to do in XP? I don't think even ME uses linear.

Using pejorative and condescending terms like "retard" (sic) to describe one's preferences is not nice.

Subjectively, Windows mouse acceleration feels more responsive, faster, easier. That's all.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

The music is from Rapper's Delight, an old skool rap from the late 70's by The Sugarhill Gang.

Close...it's Good Times by a group called Chic
  • Reply 33 of 43
    Quote:

Subjectively, Windows mouse acceleration feels more responsive, faster, easier. That's all.

Well, yes, at lower mouse speeds, the cursor is the same speed. It's a 1-to-1 ratio regardless of how fast or slow you move the mouse. That doesn't mean it's better.

Why is the Mac way better? Even Microsoft has conceded that the Mac way is better and implemented a similar curve to the acceleration in Windows XP.

Precision. Simply put, by slowing the cursor, it's easier to settle on small targets on the screen.

This is loosely related to Fitt's Law (the time to aquire a target is proportional to the distance to the target and inversely proportional to its size). By using an acceleration curve like Mac OS X, you effectively increase the size of the target as you move your mouse slower in approaching it. The result is a target that is easier to hit and less likely to overshoot.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    Quote:

Using pejorative and condescending terms like "retard" (sic) to describe one's preferences is not nice.

Well I'll apologize just because I didn't mean to imply you are retarded just my hatred for 1:1.

Is scrolling subject to the same curve? I was trying and it didn't seem like it was 1 for 1 when scrolling in safari.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    If you just want to adjust the speed of the mouse (beyond the limited speed Apple provides), there's the free MouseZoom.

That may help a bit.

Unfortunately, MouseZoom doesn't yet include the ability to control the acceleration curve. Maybe next version...
  • Reply 36 of 43
    Jesus Christ people! Grow the **** up! You're spending your lives arguing over mouse speeds!! Jebus!

Thank you, the USB thing did it for me. With the default OS X acceleration my wrist gets totally busted after even short periods of time. I prefer the Windows way (And yes, I've tried getting used to it for 2.5 months...)
  • Reply 37 of 43
    Quote:

Jesus Christ people! Grow the **** up! You're spending your lives arguing over mouse speeds!! Jebus!

Thank you, the USB thing did it for me. With the default OS X acceleration my wrist gets totally busted after even short periods of time. I prefer the Windows way (And yes, I've tried getting used to it for 2.5 months...)

So why did you start this thread? Put up with the OS X way, get yourself software that adjusts it or get the **** outta here.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    "So why did you start this thread? Put up with the OS X way, get yourself software that adjusts it or get the **** outta here."

Ehh... I started the thread so I could get some software and adjust it... I thought that was blatantly obvious.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    Quote:

You started the damn thread! "Busts your wrist"? Wtf does that mean? You have to move your wrist less I'd think with 1:1. Maybe I was right about what I said earlier.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    "You started the damn thread! "Busts your wrist"? Wtf does that mean? You have to move your wrist less I'd think with 1:1. Maybe I was right about what I said earlier."

Maybe you just like pointless arguments? I'm sorry to say this, but people like you give Apple users a bad rep. "Apple's way is better! For everyone! No one can think otherwise, if they do they're a moron!"

Jesus, get a life.