New to the fold.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I said for a long time that I'd escape through the Windows, and I have. I'm immensely pleased to be posting this message from an Apple iBook G4, with a processor running at 800 megahertz. Needless to say, it kicks immense ass. Any suggestions (besides AppleCare, I'll do that as soon as I can, promise!) are very welcome, as long as they cost nothing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Doesn't cost anything?

Uh... steal a 512MB SO-DIMM.

• Reply 2 of 8
    uhh, freeware games.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Republic

I said for a long time that I'd escape through the Windows, and I have. I'm immensely pleased to be posting this message from an Apple iBook G4, with a processor running at 800 megahertz. Needless to say, it kicks immense ass. Any suggestions (besides AppleCare, I'll do that as soon as I can, promise!) are very welcome, as long as they cost nothing.

Good call on the AppleCare, but you have one year from your purchase date to buy it so there's no rush on that count.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Stealing RAM would be good, but I'll bet it'll be hard to do from the Apple Store here in New York. I'll have to wait for that and hope my iBook can run Safari with a mere 256 megs.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    First, welcome aboard!

A good number of ex-Windows, new-to-Mac users have joined the community here at AppleInsider. Please do feel free to post any questions about the operating system and software or just your thoughts in general about your new computer.

That said...

Quote:

Originally posted by Republic

with a mere 256 megs.

Most people consider 256 MB to be the bare minimum for getting any work done. Mac OS X is a memory hog for several reasons, the biggest being that the window server is entirely double-buffered and that the system caches as much data anywhere as it can for faster access later.

You may be scrapped for cash, but you should really try to find a way to get another 256 or 512 MB into that baby. You'll thank yourself later if you do or possibly sour your early experiences from the start if you don't.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I totally agree. I've been lucky enough to use Mac OS X for a few months, but I never appreciated OS X's hog attributes until I used an eMac with a mere 128 megabytes. Absurd. Luckily, Apple doesn't pull that BS with the iBook G4. Also, I don't do something that's memory-intensive. Priorities with a portable machine get turned on their heads. A sleeve or case and Microsoft Office v.X (with all the risks that come with a Microsoft program on a Mac) before steroids. Now, I'm gonna go watch Akira. Actually, I am watching as I type this. Mmmmm.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    suggestions that don't cost anything?

http://www.acquisitionx.com is sweet shareware P2P

And welcome to never fearing the traditional PC cringe "what if I get a virus".

No known viruses for Mac OS X. Zip. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Think of all the money you'll save not buying antivirus software and maintenance.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. No virii = delicious.