If you're a musician...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
what instrument(s) do you play?

i play oboe, clarinet, guitar, keyboard/piano, sax, and a little bit of drums.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    When I was 8 or 9 I started drums, picked up trumpet(and trombone) and sax at 10 and 11, and finally started bass at 12, been playing ever since.

I'm a bassist Primarily.

8) 8)

I have played a bunch of instruments in my time, and could probably still fake my way one many of them, but bass is my bag.

I played a lot of 'instruments' on this track* here

well, Actually I only played Bass, MIDI guitar and Keys, but the result is a big band

*Written by Jaco Pasotrius, arranged and performed by me
  • Reply 2 of 30
    i started playing guitar about 6 weeks ago...
  • Reply 3 of 30
    Guitar. Started learning violin when younger, had to stop when my finger got forcefully removed from the rest of my hand.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    So you guys haven't put some tracks together and seen what you could put together?

Aries 1B
  • Reply 5 of 30
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Sax - Bari, Alto and Tenor.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

I played a lot of 'instruments' on this track* here

well, Actually I only played Bass, MIDI guitar and Keys, but the result is a big band

*Written by Jaco Pasotrius, arranged and performed by me

Cool. I'd love to get that kind of trumpet sound with a Garageband software instrument. Was that a MIDI instrument or an actual trumpet?
  • Reply 7 of 30
    I play a mean jew's harp.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    I play trombone, quite well I might add

I can also play a bit of piano, quite a bit of Euphonium (essentially a trombone with valves instead of a slide), a bit of trumpet and french horn, and some drums.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    [5th grade] Underarms, nutthin but underarms [/5th Grade]
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Cool. I'd love to get that kind of trumpet sound with a Garageband software instrument. Was that a MIDI instrument or an actual trumpet?

It was all recorded in Garageband, but I didn't actually use any virtual instruments(except the flute)

Everything else was input by me as live audio from my buddies Gr-33 MIDI guitar setup
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Where do I begin...

Guitar, bass, banjo, mandolin, 12 string guitar (yes, it is a lot different from 6 string), I can fake my way through a song or two on the piano, I'm working on learning baritone guitar, I play a little electric (IMO it is a lot different than acoustic, style wise at least...I prefer acoustic to electric).

I have about 12 different acoustic guitars in my house, a handful of electrics, a bass or two, a banjo or three, a piano, a few keyboards, an electronic drum set, and a mandolin.

Music is so awesome.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Taps (as in shoes) professionally (it's drumming with your feet). Violin, various woodwind and guitar, poorly. The one instrument I really wanted to learn other than tapping was piano (I'm a percussionist at heart). But my parents were too cheap to buy me one - something for which I've never forgiven them.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    piano, clarinet, a lil bit of guitar

I would love to learn drums....I always really wanted to play drums or percussion.

Wrong- post some of your beats up when you get the chance...I'll have mine uploaded somewhere soon
  • Reply 14 of 30
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Well

As a music teacher I play most things...at least a little bit. My "real" instrument is trumpet...which I'm getting a M.M. in currently. I also am pretty decent at Trombone and Horn when I'm playing them frequently. My other "instrument" is voice...which comes easier to me than trumpet, actually. I play piano in class with the kids, though I'm not really a pianist...more of a "Vamp Master".
  • Reply 15 of 30
    I've played the trumpet for years... and have been "trying" to place the guitar for 2+ years.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    I claim to play the Horn (as in French), but sometimes I'm not so sure. Working on a Master's in it right now at Boston Univeristy. When I'm done I can add this degree to the pile of other useless degrees I have.

Eventually I'm going to have to get a real job.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Vocals, Guitar, DX-7, Logic, exs24 and a ton of soft-synths on a Ghz Powerbook. Had a MPC for a while, but it started collecting dust so away it went.

Guitars: 12-string acoustic, 6-string acoustic and some no-name electric since I sold my Les Paul 8 years ago and only recently have wanted to play electric again.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    Piano for 23 years. (I now have a nice Baldwin upright).

Guitar for about six years (Ovation acoustic electric these days.)

When I'm playing with my bands, it's usually on a Korg digital piano. Full-size (88 notes), weighted keys, etc. I'm working on getting my own Fender Rhodes or Wurlitzer electric piano because I love those warm sounds. A full-size Hammond organ would be nice too, but I wouldn't want to transport it to gigs. I'll probably get a smaller digital version either by Hammond or Korg.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Guitar for about six years now, and I just picked up a bass about 8 months ago. I played alto sax from grades 4 to 6, but didn't really like it.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    I played the piano when I was younger but quit because my piano teacher would hit me and call me names whenever I looked at they keys or forgot a note.

I might start taking lessons again. I was pretty damn good.