Pentagon: Climate Change a Greater Threat than Terrorism

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
That's what they're saying.

The Pentagon has reported to the White House that climate change is a greater threat than terrorism. The Pentagon believes that we face wars over water sources, mass displacement of the world's people and catastrophic weather conditions.

Now, here's the thing: discussing the possibility of climate change is a Bad Liberal Scary Thing. But the only people this administration listen to are big businesses and the Pentagon. Will he go mad, or will he act?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77
    I had a thread about this a while back:

Take a look

Fellows
  • Reply 2 of 77
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    If true, that is scary for a variety of reasons. Obviously because it demonstrates -- once again -- we have a complete dolt in the Oval Office, who simply doesn't give a crap. But mostly because of the human implications. I don't think things like Ice Ages can be stopped, but I have little doubt they can be accelerated / exacerbated by stupid, greedy pricks in the fossil fuel industries.

How reliable is this news source IYO, Hassan? I don't regularly visit that site but I'm a little weary of internet news outlets sometimes. This story smacks a little bit of "Wired Magazine" and the way they make outlandish predictions every other issue. Let's hope if they really have this report that they are willing to share it with other major news outlets like the New York Times and others. And that the authors are willing to step forward and talk it up a bit.

This won't even be "worthy of acknowledgement" during public debates and the like unless real media outlets carry it and make a bit of a fuss about it.
  • Reply 3 of 77
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    "Pentagon: Climate Change a Greater Threat than Terrorism"

Question: Does that mean GWB is a greater threat than OBL?
  • Reply 4 of 77
    The Northern Atlantic current has been slowing down for some time - the implications are quite scary. I hope the US government begins to take this issue seriously, though I think that the Pentagon document represents a worst case, but definitely possible scenario.
  • Reply 5 of 77
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

It can't be good for Bush that the Pentagon rate this as more dangerous than terrorism, especially as Bush has consistently downplayed climate change.

That's probably exactly why they made the point to label it as more dangerous than terrorism.
  • Reply 6 of 77
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Don't worry. The people behind the report will soon be labeled "commie pinkos tree hugging liberals" by the likes of S*W and his band of neocon friends.

hey Wrong Robot...I keep clicking on your "link" but nothing happens.

Oh by the way I think climate change is a very very serious issue which needs to be dealt with yesterday. Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit.
  • Reply 7 of 77
    How much of the global warming problem is reconcilable by reducing greenhouse emissions alone? I had the perception (from a journal I read quite some time ago) that currents really played the biggest part in climactic change. If they're changing, what can Bush do about it? I don't see why he's being attacked for cyclic planetary changes...
  • Reply 8 of 77
    Moogs, the Observer is Britain's oldest Sunday newspaper and this is its website. It's hardly a sensationalist publication but it's a little left-leaning.
  • Reply 9 of 77
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    The Sky is Falling! The Sky is Falling!

I'm still staying tuned for the magnetic pole-shift. All these little computers will be useless. Even Macs won't work... not like Y2K.
  • Reply 10 of 77
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jubelum

The Sky is Falling! The Sky is Falling!

I'm still staying tuned for the magnetic pole-shift. All these little computers will be useless. Even Macs won't work... not like Y2K.

If you belive the ****ING PENTAGON then the ****ING SKY *IS* ****ING FALLING.
  • Reply 11 of 77
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

well, he IS from Texas.... I'm beginning to wonder about this state.

Okay, I'm just joking... but seriously, I did hear that it's recommended that you have your shots up to date before you visit Texas.
  • Reply 12 of 77
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    I was at a talk given by Hans Blix yesterday, which was very critical of the war. However, before he even started the whole 'How to stop and prevent the proliferation of WMDs' talk, he said that the largest threat to humanity is not terrorism or WMDs, but climate change.

He then moved on to slamming Bush and Blair a little. Blix = total dude who got a standing ovation.

Info
  • Reply 13 of 77
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

Actually, I don't believe the Pentagra...er.. Pentagon. They have been completely FOS since Vietnam. One of my employees shows all the symptoms of being exposed to nerve agent in Gulf War I, but Gulf War Syndrome "is still under review." Meanwhile he has numbness all over, a heart condition, and a child with a birth defect. So much for the Pentagon's credibility. I am just surprised how many people who *hate* and distrust the US Military (usually) are now citing them as authorities on environmental policy.

• Reply 14 of 77
    Quote:

Actually, I don't believe the Pentagra...er.. Pentagon. They have been completely FOS since Vietnam. One of my employees shows all the symptoms of being exposed to nerve agent in Gulf War I, but Gulf War Syndrome "is still under review." Meanwhile he has numbness all over, a heart condition, and a child with a birth defect. So much for the Pentagon's credibility. I am just surprised how many people who *hate* and distrust the US Military (usually) are now citing them as authorities on environmental policy.

I'm not citing the Pentagon as an authority on environmental policy. Or rather, that's not the issue.

The point is that the Pentagon is now adding its voice to an internationally-held consensus that climate change is real and that the results are potentially very awful for all of us.

The Pentagon has no vested interest in discrediting the mountain of excellent evidence that suggests that climate change is real and a threat. It could be argued that the Bush administration does.
  • Reply 15 of 77
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

You clearly DON'T GET IT!

The Pentagon is the OLD BOY network of big guys with guns

Hell, Cheney used the Pentagon to get us to invade another country!

They are NOT the usual people who CARE about the environment!

So, when they come out with this statement it means that IT MUST BE pretty damn serious!!

And, pretty damn obviouse too!

They are not known for hiring "tree huggers" who just want the spotted owl to 'live free' . .. or to "save the planet" by riding bikes to work!

They are the guys that OK the designs for the BIG TANKS and LONG GUNS etc etc

When they admit that the environment is changing, and that it will present real problems to our safety and prosperity in the future then my bet is that we should probably start to be ALARMED!!!

I want to know why this and the other article about the scientists IS NOT GETTING THE PRESS THEY DESERVE?!

Is the thing with Bush, like James Watt, that he really just thinks that the 'Jubilation" is just around the corner, so the "environment" can 'go to hell'?!?

• Reply 16 of 77
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

You clearly DON'T GET IT!

The Pentagon is the OLD BOY network of big guys with guns

Hell, Cheney used the Pentagon to get us to invade another country!

They are NOT the usual people who CARE about the environment!

So, when they come out with this statement it means that IT MUST BE pretty damn serious!!

And, pretty damn obviouse too!

They are not known for hiring "tree huggers" who just want the spotted owl to 'live free' . .. or to "save the planet" by riding bikes to work!

They are the guys that OK the designs for the BIG TANKS and LONG GUNS etc etc

When they admit that the environment is changing, and that it will present real problems to our safety and prosperity in the future then my bet is that we should probably start to be ALARMED!!!

I want to know why this and the other article about the scientists IS NOT GETTING THE PRESS THEY DESERVE?!

Is the thing with Bush, like James Watt, that he really just thinks that the 'Jubilation" is just around the corner, so the "envir

nment" can 'go to hell'?!?

What pfflam said. Without the caps lock. (pfflam, I had a dream about you two nights ago. Someone showed me a photograph of you; you had a beard and a full face.)
  • Reply 17 of 77
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

I'm still staying tuned for the magnetic pole-shift. All these little computers will be useless.

Magnetic north is moving norther a few km a year, and has done for some time. Why would computers be useless if there was a sudden shift ?
  • Reply 18 of 77
    Well, HDs are fuxxored when juxtaposed to magnets, as are CRT screens, I guess it's not outside the range of possibility that a sudden shift in the polar alignment of the planet could have adverse affects. \

but that still seems too much like a mad scientists nefarious scheme to be believable
  • Reply 19 of 77
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Let's stay on track.

Hassan, thanks for the additional info on this paper. Obviously a reputable one and not of the "tabloid" ilk (since I have no reason to doubt your comments on its quality). Probably more reliable a source of information than Wired too, for that matter. I would hope so anyway.

Also, pfflam hit the nail on the head. If any body of government can be said to be Bush and Chenney's lapdogs, it's those who run the Pentagon. That they would come out with such alarmist comments as these (when usually they try to hide all things alarmist where future projections are concerned), tells me they've now been presented with enough evidence to become worried themselves.

I still want to know: why is the British paper keeping this report to itself? Why not share all of the conclusions and implications with other leading American or Canadian papers for example? It seems like this is quite a bombshell.

Why not drop it? Are they waiting for a more opportune moment when the country isn't so caught up with Gay marriage and Greenspanitis I wonder?
  • Reply 20 of 77
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    One thing to keep in mind, is that according Clnl. Kwaikowski (see other thread), the Office Of Special Plans, (Cheneys locked uptight re-organized ideological group within the Pentagon) is largely responsible for OK-ing and final-packaging what is released to the public by the Big Brass . . .

They are responsible for putting to press what the Pentagon is supposed to think . . .

Naturally they would want to supress this as it flies in the face of everything 'Bush'

as for my beard and full face: I don't have a beard, though I let it get pretty long this past weekend, and am, if I say so myself, quite fit and Super-Handsome . . .

Unfortunately, none of you will EVER see a picture of me unless you see me or my work at a video festival (and it would have to be an 'Avant Garde' type fest to show my stuff . .