Dual Processor Powerbook

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I am reading all this talks about how nice it would be to have a G5 powerbook. But how about a dual G4 powerbook. The speed would be almost as fast as a single 1.6 G5 and the chip is already there. What is the possibility that for the next upgrade of powerbooks, before we get a G5 powerbook, apple releases a dual G4 powerbook. I mean apple will have the title for the first dual processor laptop before they have the title for the first 64bit laptop.

Let me know what you guys think. I for one think that it will be a big seller.

Brian

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by brianelmi

I mean apple will have the title for the first dual processor laptop before they have the title for the first 64bit laptop.

Brian

They can't be first, when it has already been done...
  • Reply 2 of 32
    May I ask who has done it? I really would like to know.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Quote:

May I ask who has done it? I really would like to know.

E-machines

and a link

http://www.tech-report.com/onearticle.x/6125

it is the first that poped up on google. Not sure if others have, I can only assume.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    They can't release the first 64-bit notebook (I think Sun beat the field by years anyway with a SPARC notebook) but they just might be able to release the first 64-bit laptop.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    For the movie Twister Silicon Graphics actually built their Indy into a laptop case. One was on ebay a long time ago. Only a dozen were made... something like that. I don't know when Sun built theirs, but SGI definitely had one back in the mid-90s.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Quote:

I am reading all this talks about how nice it would be to have a G5 powerbook. But how about a dual G4 powerbook. The speed would be almost as fast as a single 1.6 G5 and the chip is already there. What is the possibility that for the next upgrade of powerbooks, before we get a G5 powerbook, apple releases a dual G4 powerbook. I mean apple will have the title for the first dual processor laptop before they have the title for the first 64bit laptop.

Let me know what you guys think. I for one think that it will be a big seller.

Brian

Can I get 2GB of RAM and express shipment with that Dual G4 PB?
  • Reply 7 of 32
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Dual G4 PB. Oh yea. Can these threads get any more ridiculous?
  • Reply 8 of 32
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Ok... How about a Dual G4, (erm) DUAL SCREEN PowerBook. Eh?
  • Reply 9 of 32
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

it is the first that poped up on google. Not sure if others have, I can only assume.

There are also the VoodooPC systems.

Also, 64-bit UltraSPARC notebooks, with ECC SDRAM.

One more UltraSPARC from Tadpole, with up to 160 GB hard drive space (2 drives) and 4 GB memory. These are very specialized notebooks, running Solaris 9.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

What is the possibility that for the next upgrade of powerbooks, before we get a G5 powerbook, apple releases a dual G4 powerbook.

Zero. Unless we take into consideration the dual core G4s of the other thread.

Only problem: this is Motorola.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:

If you consider the fact that the movie cold mountain used Apple's software only editing solution, super charged portables are not a bad thing. They could be sold as a made-to-order product.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    It just seems like a dual processor portable would be a last resort. The issues of cooling, and space keep coming to mind, and for what? Apple isn't in dire straights for available portable processors.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    I thought a dual-G4 PowerBook using the ultra low-power 1 GHz 7447 was an interesting if not particularly likely possibility late last year. At that time, the prospects for a G5 PowerBook were unknown, and it might have been an interesting way to goose up the 17" in the interim.

With the G5 PB close at hand, though (by which I mean within 6 months IMO), it would make little sense to go down that road just for one revision. At this time I would say probability = 0.

The ones that really crack me up are the ones that predict dual G5 PowerBooks. Let's start with getting one in there...
  • Reply 14 of 32
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    if you need 2 processors in your computer, you probablly shouldn't be looking at powerbooks...unless you need a spare lapheater (otherwise known as the dual g4 powerbook).
  • Reply 15 of 32
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jade

if you need 2 processors in your computer, you probablly shouldn't be looking at powerbooks...unless you need a spare lapheater (otherwise known as the dual g4 powerbook).

Yep, the singles are quite hot enough on my lap, thanks. Can't imagine how bad a dual would be.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

If you consider the fact that the movie cold mountain used Apple's software only editing solution, super charged portables are not a bad thing. They could be sold as a made-to-order product.

Oh right. A company with %3 market share is going to start making made to order products. Mork calling Orsen.. Come in Orsen.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Oh right. A company with %3 market share is going to start making made to order products. Mork calling Orsen.. Come in Orsen.

What does BTO stand for?

• Reply 18 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

What does BTO stand for?

BTO, has nothing to do with it because Apple would have to make another portable chassis. Which if they develop a new chassis they will have another line of laptops to be configured BTO. Get it?
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Just wait for the G5 PowerBook.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Damn.....dual proc PB's?

I'd never need to heat my house again, even in Connecticut......

You're never cold if you have a rev A TiBook 400!