How about a political survey?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 80
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

i'll bite...

1 ) Abortion--pro choice...because i love and respect my mother, my wife, my daughters, i am pro choice...i respect them enough to know that they will base decision in their lives according to their beliefs and their situation (mental, emotional, physical, financial) and i love them enough to stand by and support them no matter what that decision is...i have two teenage daughters...i hope they never even have to think about abortion...that when, and if, they ever get pregnant it is a beautiful, wonderful thing...but if they have no say to what happens to/in their bodies, then they are second class citizens...and i will fight to the death to prevent my daughters from being second class citizens...

2 ) Drug Legalization--legalize and tax mary jane...anything else should be a doctors prescription and somewhat hard to come by...

3 ) Government Spending--cut the defecit...1000 points of light could work for the military also

4 ) Gun Control--let people have their guns (i never will...but i am open to the "needs" of others)...but make a national registry of ballistic tests of all weapons...that way all crimes with guns can be, if not tracked (stolen weapons and such--though people with guns should be somewhat responsible to keep them out of the hands of both children and criminals) can be used more easily in trials and such...

5 ) Healthcare--needs a lot of work...one third of the employees at my hospital are purely in the business of charging or collecting money...that's a lot of money that could be used on health care...almost 50% of the employees have no patient contact (billing, collections, lab techs, administration, human resources)--heathcare should be available to all americans...

6 ) Education--see above...needs a lot of work...how do we "force" parents to be more involved?? children with involved parents do much better than parents who aren't involved...

7 ) Immigration--we all came from elsewhere...

8 ) The War on Terrorism--better intelligence (we need spys, not cameras in the sky), better relationships, less wars, better economic realities for all...

9 ) Gay Marriage--i love and wish my gay friends well...if they wish to marry, god bless them and good luck

Exactly.
  • Reply 42 of 80
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

Post of the year.

Haha. Just checking to see if anyone actually reads these things.
  • Reply 43 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Haha. Just checking to see if anyone actually reads these things.

fwiw, I really enjoyed your post, got a good LOL from me
  • Reply 44 of 80
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    1 ) Abortion

Legal, used sparingly for damn good reasons. Abortion is not birth control; it is serious but you have to rely on and trust others' decisions.

2 ) Drug Legalization

Our illegal drugs have some very legit if few uses and people to use them on. Dismissing certain ones as "illegal" avoids more judicious thought and control over those substances. I wouldn't be surprised if strict regulation did more to fight drug abuse than our current legislation. I'm not sure of that though.

3 ) Government Spending

The question is one of efficiency. I believe in government/taxpayer sponsorship of the arts and cultural research as much as scientific research.

4 ) Gun Control

Guns should be controlled, not made illegal for basically the same reasons it's probably not a good idea with drugs either. I believe people have to right to hunt (responsibly of course, and that guns don't really protect people like people think they do.

5 ) Healthcare

The government should provide basic healthcare to every citizen and legal alien. I think a free ride from the government is a bit unrealistic and that people can choose higher coverage from private sources.

6 ) Education

It is good. There needs to be more visual and artistic education to all public school students (strong bias towards verbal and math skills). Standardized testing is OK, but less importance should be placed on it.

7 ) Immigration

America's "great melting pot" tradition is fundamentally sound. Realistically, we have to be more careful and pay closer attention on who wants in, who gets in, what they do and where they are when they get here. The issue is one of public safety and terrorism only, and I guess people are concerned that other factors might get into the mix. That's just self-vigilance and public disclosure.

8 ) The War on Terrorism

I think there is a real conflict between cultures, the growing pains of the world to put it euphemistically. There are all sort of causes over the past 300 years that add up to this, but I think it's a real "war" so to speak, and I don't know if anyone really wins in the end. Blames goes all around, and education and self-loathing are not cures. Mankind is good at war, it defines us and I don't think we'll ever have a day when there isn't war. War has just gotten bigger, and we will find new reasons to hate each other.

9 ) Gay Marriage

Fine with it. The laws should reflect the most inclusive understanding of marriage. You don't have to participate. I never understood what people mean when they talk about the breakdown of our society with regard to this issue or why it is so harmful to others. And no Jim Crow laws for gays or anyone else.
  • Reply 45 of 80
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

1 ) Abortion----Should only be allowed in cases of rape, incest, or medical necessity (danger to the mother, etc.)

7 ) Immigration---We must stop illegal immigration. Period. We should use the US Military to patrol and secure our borders. Illegals should be deported immediately. Immigrants should not qualify for social services for a period of time after they arrive.

So in case of not being able to prove having been raped, and not in danger for the pregnancy, a woman pregnant against her own will should be still forced to carry the fetus in her womb for 9 months and later preferrably support it for the next 18 - 40 years?

I think it would make sense that everyone in this world is born because their parent WANTED the child.

US citizens should not be allowed to emigrate anywhere outside USA. They should be applied EXACTLY the same rules than they apply for anyone else. In case there is ANYONE ELSE in the whole COUNTRY who can do the same job (e.g. speaks comprensible english ..) the US citizens should not have a reason to get the work permit or the work. Right? And the companywanting to employee you should make the application for you, and you should wait in your country for the approval, which like in the case of this being contrary (foreign > US) it#d take 12-24 months, or a few grands to pass thru bureaucration.

And after that you would like to hear that you need to pay for your own health insurance, and after doing that for years you still won#t qualify for any health care.

Nice, wouldn#t it be, to be an emigrant?
  • Reply 46 of 80
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

So in case of not being able to prove having been raped, and not in danger for the pregnancy, a woman pregnant against her own will should be still forced to carry the fetus in her womb for 9 months and later preferrably support it for the next 18 - 40 years?

I think it would make sense that everyone in this world is born because their parent WANTED the child.

US citizens should not be allowed to emigrate anywhere outside USA. They should be applied EXACTLY the same rules than they apply for anyone else. In case there is ANYONE ELSE in the whole COUNTRY who can do the same job (e.g. speaks comprensible english ..) the US citizens should not have a reason to get the work permit or the work. Right? And the companywanting to employee you should make the application for you, and you should wait in your country for the approval, which like in the case of this being contrary (foreign > US) it#d take 12-24 months, or a few grands to pass thru bureaucration.

And after that you would like to hear that you need to pay for your own health insurance, and after doing that for years you still won#t qualify for any health care.

Nice, wouldn#t it be, to be an emigrant?

1. There are about 2,000,000 abortions per year in this country. Roughly 97% of them are birth-control related. I've struggled with this issue for a long time, and I think it should onyl be legal in cases of rape, incest and medical necessity. You don't have to agree.

2. What the hell are you talking about? I have no idea of your point, except that it seems like you feel enforcing our legal immigration system is a proble in itself. If immigrants immediately qualify for social services, they will flock here FOR those services. We cannot allow millions of illegals to keep pouring into our nation.
  • Reply 47 of 80
    BuonRotto:

Quote:

9 ) Gay Marriage

Fine with it. The laws should reflect the most inclusive understanding of marriage. You don't have to participate. I never understood what people mean when they talk about the breakdown of our society with regard to this issue or why it is so harmful to others. And no Jim Crow laws for gays or anyone else.

That's because you don't understand history. The widespread total acceptance of homosexuality has preceeded the fall of entire civilizations.
  • Reply 48 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

1. Yes, at any stage w/ medicial discretion.

2. No. Ban alcohol and tobacco.

3. Cut the military, increase funding for social programs, space and science.

4. Repeal the 2nd amendment

5. Universal single-payer healthcare

6. Desegregate areas w/ mandatory busing. Free college for all by #3.

7. Open borders but contrain entry based on educational attainment (higher the better).

8. Stop supporting Israel and become neutral.

9. Yes.

oh my god.
  • Reply 49 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

Abortion: Ai me. It's not going away, and that's probably more for the good than the bad.

Drug legalisation: Sign of a civilised country. Legal cocoa-leaf tea would put Colombian cocaine barons out of business.

Government spending: Tax me. The idea that public works aren't the sign of a prosperous, ambitious nation is very recent and very wrong. We should all spend more money on Africa and less on weapons.

Gun control: I live in a country where it's in the news when someone gets shot so I'm not best qualified to talk about it, but if I lived in America or South Africa I'd be for it.

Healthcare: Hospitals for the poor - hell, hospitals for everyone - are good. Please tax me to pay for it. I've no objection to private healthcare either, but no-one should be able to opt-out of the public contribution.

Education: Please tax me to pay for good public education. I don't want to be mugged by your children.

Immigration: I am an immigrant and my parents are immigrants. Come round for tea. I like it in London but one day I might emigrate to Spain. Mostly when people object to immigration it's people who aren't white they have in mind. In an ideal world there wouldn't be any passports at all.

The War on Terrorism is like 'the war on drugs'. It's not a real war and it's emphatically not winnable. The world is more dangerous now than it was when George Bush was elected, and although I know that 9/11 would have happened no matter who the President was I wish it had been a man with some understanding of statecraft and the moral obligations of the very strong.

Gay marriage: I'm not afraid of two grown men being in love with each other any more than I'm afraid of two grown women being in love with each other. (I'm afraid of falling in love with a man, but that's another question. Joke.) If you want to tell the world about your love then you deserve to be congratulated and invited to share the benefits rather than made to feel like a pervert.

once again, oh my god.
  • Reply 50 of 80
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

The widespread total acceptance of homosexuality has preceeded the fall of entire civilizations.

Oh my God.
  • Reply 51 of 80
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

The widespread total acceptance of homosexuality has preceeded the fall of entire civilizations.

So has breathing.
  • Reply 52 of 80
    Quote:

You're doing a Bush here: not letting facts get in the way of good ideology.

In ancient Greece, homosexuality was accepted from day one. In Rome it was never fully accepted. The Native Americans were cool with it; of course they were all killed by bigotted white people. Maybe you're thinking of other civilizations where there's no evidence either way? This is before taking apart the logic fallacy at the heart of what is basically your hate speech.

You're quite sick, you know that?
  • Reply 53 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by KANE

8 ) The War on Terrorism - Bombing Afghanistan and invading Iraq have done little to relieve americans of their fears. War will not stop terror, it only feeds it. Ask instead: why are people angry in the first place?

Finally someone who understands. The US must become neutral towards Israel or it can never even hope to stop terrorism.
  • Reply 54 of 80
    If people are just going to post "oh my God" to everything, then the thread has lost its purpose.

I still don't see how homosexuality causes or is a sign of the fall of empires and such. I'm not too familiar with this pattern, haven't bothered to notice one really. I can think of some notable cases in history of homosexual lifestyles being practiced more commonly than other times, but the correlation with politics (in a broad sense, I know of individual cases) and war is something I'm not familiar with.

Besides, it's not like there are other factors in the USA's current situation that would have any adverse affects on its status as the world's only superpower.
  • Reply 55 of 80
    Quote:

2. What the hell are you talking about? I have no idea of your point, except that it seems like you feel enforcing our legal immigration system is a proble in itself. If immigrants immediately qualify for social services, they will flock here FOR those services. We cannot allow millions of illegals to keep pouring into our nation.

look back to when your grandparents came to USA. oh, sorry, i just made the assumption they are not native americans. correct me if i#m wrong.
  • Reply 56 of 80
    Quote:

1. There are about 2,000,000 abortions per year in this country. Roughly 97% of them are birth-control related. I've struggled with this issue for a long time, and I think it should onyl be legal in cases of rape, incest and medical necessity. You don't have to agree.

how does it feel if your parents are honest to you?

"we never wanted you. you was born because the greek condoms we had, failed."

i wouldn#t lie to a kid. they know anyway when you are not telling the truth.
  • Reply 57 of 80
    1 ) Abortion - pro

2 ) Drug Legalization - pro

3 ) Government Spending - against

4 ) Gun Control - against

5 ) Healthcare - privatize

6 ) Education - privatize

7 ) Immigration - pro. excluding muslim countries.

8 ) The War on Terrorism - use nukes

9 ) Gay Marriage - don't care
  • Reply 58 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by JewelsVernz

Immigration - pro. excluding muslim countries.

How about the nice people from those countries?
  • Reply 59 of 80
    Quote:

7 ) Immigration - pro. excluding muslim countries.

A bridge-builder. Excellent. We need more like you.

Quote:

8 ) The War on Terrorism - use nukes

On whom, exactly?

I take it you mean 'on Muslims and Arabs' (I don't expect you mean Irish nationalists, Tamil and Basque separatists or bearded survivalists from America, because, um, they're white, not Muslims and might even be American.)

So. Let's lob some weapons of mass destruction at, say, Palestine! Only let's use nuclear weapons that won't kill the settlers in the Occupied Territories or poison the people of Israel with fallout and contaminated water!

Let's nuke the mountains of Afghanistan with weapons that won't kill herders, shepherds, children, Christians, Sufis or Pakistani barbers who got lost on the way to the shops!

Brilliant. I like the cut of your jib, Jewelz. You can bend the laws of physics to facilitate your prejudices. I respect that in a man.
  • Reply 60 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

How about the nice people from those countries?

Let France have them.