iMac Screen Issue - Please Help

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello eveyone. I've just recently bought a 17" iMac and have discovered a dead pixel in the screen. On a black background, the dead pixel is a rather large blue dot and is quite annoying when working on the computer. It bugs the hell out of me.

I've recently contacted my sales rep and they refused to exchange the computer. The sales rep informed me that Apple will only exchange the computer if there is more than five dead pixels. Is this true?

I'm in a bit of a bend because the blue dot is super annoying and if I wish to return the computer - a 10% restocking fee is applicable. I was wondering if anyone has any advice or can clear up the Apple warranty in regards to LCD displays.

Thanks for your help :o)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Sorry, but from what I have read in the past, it is very common for vendors to only replace units that have a minimum number of dead pixels.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by tree

is a rather large blue dot

the blue dot

It's not dead yet!

If it has a color, then it's a "stuck" pixels. Dead pixels are black and emit no light because they are completely, well, dead.

Stuck pixels can often be massaged back to life. Get a soft washcloth and very gently rub the pixel with your thumb. I've never done this myself, but many many users here have successfully done it and posted instructions for proper massaging techniques.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    and when Brad says, "often can be massaged back to life," he really means, "rarely can they be massaged back to life."

I have never once witnessed this urban legend in its full successfulness.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Is there any way to "break" a few more pixels to hit that magic number? That would solve your problem.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

Is there any way to "break" a few more pixels to hit that magic number? That would solve your problem.

My thoughts exactly. Not that I'd ever do such a thing...
  • Reply 6 of 16
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I've had a stuck pixel in 2 PowerBooks. First one was in menu bar, in just the right place, so it couldn't be seen unless I was watching a DVD fullscreen.

The other was a few inches from the left, and from the top, and VERY noticeable. I would apply pressure to it for a few seconds and it would go away for a week or two. When it got stuck again, I'd repeat the pressure treatment.

So it does work sometimes, but I've seen WAY more people that have no luck with it at all. Give it a shot, it can't hurt.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    thanks, so it sound like I'm outta luck huh? This sucks, things like this drive me crazy. I'm thinking of calling Apple. Do you think I'll have any luck with them?
  • Reply 8 of 16
    strange. they told me there had to be at least 3 dead pixels. different with every person I guess. I have a "stuck" pixel as well on my powerbook. You really get used to it. when I first discovered it I freaked out myself. It goes away if I apply a bit of pressure on the top right of my laptop, pushing at the metal frame. But I rarely notice it anymore.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

strange. they told me there had to be at least 3 dead pixels. different with every person I guess.

Actually it ought to differ not only by manufacturer but my monitor size/aspect ratio as well.

Bigger screens = higher number of dead pixels to meet the requirements of being deemed defective.

Smaller screens = lower number of dead pixels to meet the requirements of being deemed defective.

The number itself is fairly arbitrary but a pessimist would assume (perhaps rightly) that it's chosen to be slightly higher than the average failure rate.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

and when Brad says, "often can be massaged back to life," he really means, "rarely can they be massaged back to life."

I however, have. I have a second hand iBook (given to me by my brother's faience...long story) it is a few years old and recently developed a stuck pixel in the lower left hand corner of the screen, hard to see, but annoying none the less.

It took about 30 seconds of massaging it before it came back to life, but it did work. That was about a month ago and there is no sign of it returning. Try the massage technique, it might not work, but it's worth a shot.

Good luck!
  • Reply 11 of 16
    I have seen pixels massaged back to life as well.

Three stuck/dead pixels for replacement is excellent. Industry standard, in my experience, seems to be eight.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    FWIW, I've seen several computers and monitors exchanged for having just one stuck pixel. Seen it happen only in one place - an Apple Store.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

FWIW, I've seen several computers and monitors exchanged for having just one stuck pixel. Seen it happen only in one place - an Apple Store.

Cool. CompUSA also will do that under its extended warranties.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

I have, on my own 17" Imac, it had a stuck red one in upper right hand corner, took about 30 seconds to fix, and has been fine ever since for about a year now. no problems
  • Reply 15 of 16
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tree

Hello eveyone. I've just recently bought a 17" iMac and have discovered a dead pixel in the screen. On a black background, the dead pixel is a rather large blue dot and is quite annoying when working on the computer. It bugs the hell out of me.

I've recently contacted my sales rep and they refused to exchange the computer. The sales rep informed me that Apple will only exchange the computer if there is more than five dead pixels. Is this true?

I'm in a bit of a bend because the blue dot is super annoying and if I wish to return the computer - a 10% restocking fee is applicable. I was wondering if anyone has any advice or can clear up the Apple warranty in regards to LCD displays.

Thanks for your help :o)

I had the same thing and this is what I did. I claimed I looked very closely at the pixel and it turned that what I thought was just 1 dead pixel was actually 3-4, which appeard as 1 big dead pixel. This worked and they swapped my machine. Which I thought was great until I got home and the new one had a dead pixel too, however it was in the dock and unnoticable unless watching a Widescreen DVD.

I had the TAM too and it had one dead pixel. I think it comes with the LCD territory however is very hard to stomach when you just plunked down a lot of money for a new computer.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    thanks for the help everyone. i'll give Apple a call because my sales rep is refusing to return the machine. thanks again.