Folder on the desktop

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I am operating a G4 using Jaguar and have a fire wire external drive devided into 2 partitions named Rainbow and Spectrum. When I use find, a folder appears in the find window as another spectrum that isn't there. Can someone tell me how to get rid of it.

Ron

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ron Heier

I am operating a G4 using Jaguar and have a fire wire external drive devided into 2 partitions named Rainbow and Spectrum. When I use find, a folder appears in the find window as another spectrum that isn't there. Can someone tell me how to get rid of it.

Ron

Are you talking about Find's "Specific Places" pane which lists all drives (with checkboxes next to them)? (Fairly certain this is all in Jaguar and Panther)

You can add and remove volumes and folders via drag and drop into the pane.

1. You can remove these by selecting them and hitting Delete key

2. You can also select them and click the Remove button in the Find window.

3. There is a BUG in Panther though (not sure if Jaguar has it) - Dragging these location aliases to the trash actually moves the real folder to the trash instead of merely deleting the alias.

There are (in Panther at least) annoying "Search Results" folders at the top of Find results. Usually in /private/tmp/501/ or somesuch. Not sure if that's what you mean.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Thanks John, I can't believe it was that simple, still curious as to why it was there.

Ron