iPod hack to show a new, better battery meter

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Have you used it, does it work well?
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Have you used it, does it work well?

i havent tried running it down yet... i'll let everyone know how it goes. it at least looks kinda cool having numbers in the top right, just to make you ipod different than most people's.

i believe its supposed to work better, but i'll wait and see for myself.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Yeah, please let us know (be the test monkey) and hopefully everything works out fine (better your iPod than mine).
  • Reply 4 of 25
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    I have used this since the day I got my iPod, No problems at all.

Much better than the the regular one.

It gives a number reading (500 is max), when it dips to about 200 your battery is close to empty. It just gives you a more accurate reading of the charge in the battery.

Install it, if you don't like it you can always remove it.

j.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Doesnt it seem to make more sense if it were to dip to 1 or in the single digits that it would be close to empty? wtf, 500-200 is very generic.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Doesnt it seem to make more sense if it were to dip to 1 or in the single digits that it would be close to empty? wtf, 500-200 is very generic.

That's not how electronic devices work. Almost all batteries supply less voltage as they drain. Usually a battery will go down to about 1/3 capacity before it is completely unusable in a typical PDA, digital camera, mp3 player, etc.

The number displayed by the iPod isn't voltage, that's for sure. It's closer to mAh though not quite.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Oh ok, I assumed that this was just some 500 to 0 battery countdown. I guess its just showing some sort of power level, more complex than what I'm thinking. I'll just stick with the power bar for now, i guess.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Oh ok, I assumed that this was just some 500 to 0 battery countdown. I guess its just showing some sort of power level, more complex than what I'm thinking. I'll just stick with the power bar for now, i guess.

Messiahtosh

It isn't that hard to get used to and really is better (more accurate).

All you have to do is imagine a 300 large scale from 200-500.

500 = full

400 = two thirds

397 = enough juice to listen on the way home from work

350 = half

300 = one third

287 = bloody hell that went quick must be the backlight and the game

200 = nearly empty msybe I should charge

188 = where the hell is that lead

You can make up your own scale in your head if you like.

Honest try it you WILL like it.

j.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    touch: /Volumes/Mr_Poddy/iPod_Control/Device/_show_voltage: No such file or directory

!!!!

Dammit ! why forth thou not worketh ! I have tried _ and used just a space as well in iPod name and still error !

By golly can somebody point out the obvious error in my ways, cheers..
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsxrboy

touch: /Volumes/Mr_Poddy/iPod_Control/Device/_show_voltage: No such file or directory

!!!!

Dammit ! why forth thou not worketh ! I have tried _ and used just a space as well in iPod name and still error !

touch /Volumes/Mr_Poddy/iPod_Control/Device/_show_voltage

That should work as long as your iPod is mounted as a drive.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    Anyone try this with a Mini? I know they're pretty similar to their bigger brother.

Oh... by the way... can anyone tell me how to post an image here? I know I can post a link to it... but when I try to actually insert an image into a post... I can't seem to link to just the picture... but only the page the picture is on (which won't work). I opened up one of those free online picture thingys and just link to that for now... but I'd like to be able to insert pics into my posts.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    It seemed to work at first, but of course my iPod was as indecisive as usual about how much power it actually had left. Started around 270 (I haven't charged it in a while), went to 252, then up to 330-something. After reconnecting it and disconnecting it again, now it's showing the battery bar again instead of the number. Silly. Anyone else have this problem?
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

touch /Volumes/Mr_Poddy/iPod_Control/Device/_show_voltage

That should work as long as your iPod is mounted as a drive.

Thx same prob tho (copied and pasted to make sure ), I have tried every damn variant of words etc but still comes up with the same error msg as above 'no such file or directory'... iPod is mounted and can be accessed
  • Reply 14 of 25
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Joey

Anyone try this with a Mini? I know they're pretty similar to their bigger brother.

Oh... by the way... can anyone tell me how to post an image here? I know I can post a link to it... but when I try to actually insert an image into a post... I can't seem to link to just the picture... but only the page the picture is on (which won't work). I opened up one of those free online picture thingys and just link to that for now... but I'd like to be able to insert pics into my posts.

in the pop-up when you click the 'image' button (to insert an image), put in the path to the image:

http://www.foo.com/bar.jpg
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:

Thx same prob tho (copied and pasted to make sure ), I have tried every damn variant of words etc but still comes up with the same error msg as above 'no such file or directory'... iPod is mounted and can be accessed

Did you try:

Code:

touch /Volumes/Mr\\ Poddy/iPod_Control/Device/_show_voltage

?

(That's a backslash followed by a single space in there. Use Copy and Paste to be sure.)
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Ah-ha ! success thanks spotcatbug

• Reply 17 of 25
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Anyone care to post come pice of their new battery meter?
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by spotcatbug

Did you try:

Code:

touch /Volumes/Mr\\ Poddy/iPod_Control/Device/_show_voltage

?

(That's a backslash followed by a single space in there. Use Copy and Paste to be sure.)

Hah. Silly me for assuming the underscore was intentional!
  • Reply 19 of 25
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    It's nice, I may keep it like that. What is that volume thing...I upped my iPod to +40, does that just mean my stuff will be louder?
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:

!!!!

Lose the colon ( : ) after
    Code:

touch

Should read

Code:

touch /Volumes/your_iPod's_name/iPod_Control/Device/_show_voltage

Not

Code:

touch: /Volumes/Mr_Poddy/iPod_Control/Device/_show_voltage