It isn't that bad....

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
XP, that is. I know this is a Mac forum, and there is a rivalry between the two, so anyone (even if they have never used a PC in their life) will bash XP any chance they are given. I've been using XP for almost 3 years now, and I haven't had nearly as many problems as everyone says PC people do. I have reinstalled XP ONCE, because SP1 wasn't compatible with something I had on the computer, and started giving me blue screens. Once we uninstalled it, it was fine.

The only other problem I've had was the System Restore tab missing. I don't know what caused it, but it was resolved by finding an .ini file, right-clicking it, choosing install, inserting the Windows CD, finding a needed file, and restarting the computer (No reinstallition needed, just a file from the disk).

The other thing I hear Mac people constantly talk about is the "Constant Crashing". I have a Dell Dimension 8200, with a P4 2.52 GHZ processor, and 1 GB of RAM. It runs fine. The only thing that I can do (to my knowledge) to MAKE it freeze is having Imageready sit there and try to open a large .MOV file while I'm sitting there trying to do something else. That is the ONLY time I can make it freeze. Sure, it may lag sometimes, but not nearly as much as people say it does, and that's typically resolved by Control+Alt+Delete, and about 30 seconds. That's it. (And to those who are dying to make some comment about having to do CAD: About one out of every 10 uses needs to be C+A+D'd)

Windows 98? That's another story. It's slow as crap. Don't have the system specs, but it really sucks, but XP is 100x better than that.

All in all, I just want to say that Windows (XP) isn't half as bad as Mac users say it is. Don't get me wrong, I DO want a PB really bad, but I just couldn't handle all the Microsoft bashing.

[NO FLAMING]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I agree with you. It is the best windows to date. It isn't very crash prone...but it is virus, worm, and spyware prone. I know several people who never have a problem on there PC's, but for everyone of them I know 10 people who have problems with their PC. It's not a question of if there is a PC box running well without problem, it's what is the ratio of good to bad.
  • Reply 2 of 54
    It is still sickly inconsistent.
  • Reply 3 of 54
    I just wanted to touch upon this as well being both a Mac and a PC user. Each OS... really requires that you "get to know it" and feel comfortable with dealing with each of their idiosyncrocies. It is very easy to get frustrated with either if you're not really savvy with it.

I'm personally quite happy with both of them, each has their own strengths to be sure, but many of the "problems" I see people harping on about (on either side) I rarely even give a second thought. Most issues are easily dealt if you know how...

My XP system at home is like a rock, it's even more stable that my os:X machine at work. But then again I'm still more familiar with XP and OS 9 than OS:X and many of those issues stem from programs like Quark in X and incompatable devices. Stuff that will be sorted out in time...

At first I admit that I absolutely LOATHED OS:X, it changed everything and dumped in a whole lot of distracting eye-candy that you couldn't get rid of. It just wasn't a "Mac" to me anymore. I loved the simplicity and unobtrusiveness of 9 but after a few months X became more and more transparent and I knew it would be only a matter of time before there would be some clever 3rd party UI fixer-upper and all would be happy again. I'm sure if I give it another 6 months I probably won't even care about that...

Just my 2 bits worth of rambling... 8)

C.
  • Reply 4 of 54
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    If your measure of "not that bad" is that it doesn't crash or is pretty reliable, I'll grant you that XP is "not that bad." If your definition is that it's enjoyable to use or helps your productivity, you couldn't be more wrong. I don't get how people can feel ok using a computer that constantly tries to sell them this .net service or that MS product or pops up wizards in your face or has a "start" bar that takes up half the screen to show you every possible application on your computer.

I hate to use XP. I actually hate XP more than 2k, ME or 98. Does it crash as much? No but does it matter whether I'm frustrated because of blue screens or because that damn dog won't go away?

and this?

Quote:

The only other problem I've had was the System Restore tab missing. I don't know what caused it, but it was resolved by finding an .ini file, right-clicking it, choosing install, inserting the Windows CD, finding a needed file, and restarting the computer (No reinstallition needed, just a file from the disk).

Are you joking or are you seriously trying to tell us this is what you consider to be an example of XP not being that bad? How's that for intuitive. XP sucks, plain and simple. No, I can't play as many games on my powerbook as you can on your beige monster, but I've got a gamecube for that.

XP anywhere near my critical files? No thanks.
  • Reply 5 of 54
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
    I have to say they're pretty even. The differences are often personal preference.

Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

It isn't very crash prone...but it is virus, worm, and spyware prone.

Windows has spyware because everybody uses it.

There are windows virii and worms because users run any program any stranger gives them. Outlook has protected its address book and blocked code from running for years.
  • Reply 6 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by xmoger:

I have to say they're pretty even. The differences are often personal preference.

Indeed.

In a way I wish I could combine the best of both into one. MacOS 9 keyboard shortcuts, WinXP taskbar, etc... Torifile's rant simply supports my earlier point about how easy it is to get fustrated when you only have a passing familiarity with an OS.

Cheers,

C.
  • Reply 7 of 54
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I agree with you. It is the best windows to date. It isn't very crash prone...but it is virus, worm, and spyware prone. I know several people who never have a problem on there PC's, but for everyone of them I know 10 people who have problems with their PC. It's not a question of if there is a PC box running well without problem, it's what is the ratio of good to bad.

best WINDOWS to date, that sure says a lot
  • Reply 8 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Concord

Indeed.

In a way I wish I could combine the best of both into one. MacOS 9 keyboard shortcuts, WinXP taskbar, etc... Torifile's rant simply supports my earlier point about how easy it is to get fustrated when you only have a passing familiarity with an OS.

Cheers,

C.

You don't know me or my computer experience. Please refrain from making snap judgments.
  • Reply 9 of 54
    Quote:

Indeed.

Cheers,

C.

Hmm, you should not have to have any familiarity with an OS for it to work correctly for you. Imagine a beginning user trying to recover a file from a CD, do all the right click mumbo jumbo and then have everything restored to normal...NO...NO...NO!!!

That is total BS. Windows BS.
  • Reply 10 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by xmoger

Windows has spyware because everybody uses it.

How many time is this falsehood going to be propounded? Windows has spyware because it's insecure, not because it's popular. I'd go into it, but people have done it before (just recently).

Quote:

There are windows virii and worms because users run any program any stranger gives them. Outlook has protected its address book and blocked code from running for years.

There are Windows viruses and worms because Windows is insecure. XP is no different from other Windows in that regard.
  • Reply 11 of 54
    XP is great for people who dont know the slightest bit about computers. if you dont push xp, it tends to do ok, but once you try to get the slightest bit creative with it, goodbye. btw, xp messenger is a bitch.
  • Reply 12 of 54
    Quote:

You don't know me or my computer experience. Please refrain from making snap judgments.

I don't mean to insult you Torifile, it's just that I found your knee-jerk post amusing and your compaints (for the most part) easily rectified if you knew how. If you had spent a few minutes on the internet actually trying to address your concerns it would have saved you a lot of frustration I think...

Cheers,

C.
  • Reply 13 of 54
    Quote:

I don't mean to insult you Torifile, it's just that I found your knee-jerk post amusing and your compaints (for the most part) easily rectified if you knew how. If you had spent a few minutes on the internet actually trying to address your concerns it would have saved you a lot of frustration I think...

Cheers,

C.

Buying a Mac will save everyone the frustration.
  • Reply 14 of 54
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    XP is really crappy. I can't believe some people use this as a server OS. I've used windows since 3.1, and XP really isn't good. It's resolved some of the problems of previous versions of windows, but it's not stable at all. When I hear people say it's 'rock solid' I can only imagine they're using it for surfing and email, but not much more.

The thing's a dog. It's a bigger memory hog than OS X, it crashes more than OS X (I've gotten a few freezes in OS X that I imagine I could kill if I logged on via telnet), it's ugly as sin. Both the home user and the 'pro' royally suck.

OS X isn't perfect, but it's a whole lot better than XP.
  • Reply 15 of 54
    Quote:

Hmm, you should not have to have any familiarity with an OS for it to work correctly for you. Imagine a beginning user trying to recover a file from a CD, do all the right click mumbo jumbo and then have everything restored to normal...NO...NO...NO!!!

There is no OS that doesn't require some sort of learning curve, especially so if you are already "set in your ways" with another OS.

A junior on OS:X might ask - why are there 3 places to put fonts? Why are there stoplights on all my windows? How do I eject a CD again? What can't I find my app's preferences in my OS's library? Why are these windows so slow? Why is this program so slow? How do I turn off all the eye-candy? Why am I having so many networking problems across X and classic? Font problems across X and Classic? Printing problems across X and Classic?

If you know how to deal with these issues, they're going to be transparent to you, but if not...

All I'm saying is that no OS is perfect and all-intuitive, but they are all getting better, no question.

Cheers,

C.
  • Reply 16 of 54
    Quote:

Cheers,

C.

Knee jerk? Again with the assuming you know something about me.... And it's the "for the most part" thing I'm complaining about.
  • Reply 17 of 54
    Quote:

XP is really crappy. I can't believe some people use this as a server OS. I've used windows since 3.1, and XP really isn't good. It's resolved some of the problems of previous versions of windows, but it's not stable at all. When I hear people say it's 'rock solid' I can only imagine they're using it for surfing and email, but not much more.

Hey, now I love my Mac as much as the next guy but do keep in mind that ninety-whatever percent of the computing world are getting their work done on PCs. You many not like it, but there it is. I use my own PC for Photoshop, Quark and Dreamweaver... and maybe a few games too... That said, I do prefer to use PS and Quark in OS 9 but that is more due to familiarity than anything else (and it's how I earn a living... ).

Cheers,

C.
  • Reply 18 of 54
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    I'm experienced in both, Macs and PCs. For 4 years I used a PC daily at work. I know it's UI just as well as the Mac's. While what I used was Windows NT followed by Windows 2000, I've noted that XP's UI is about the same really.

I don't feel the PC is inferior due to crashing. The PC I used at work hardly ever crashed. I could do just about everything I do on that PC that I do on my Mac, just about, not all. Of course it didn't look as good on the PC as it does on the Mac. Even at this stage in the game you still see the pixels on the PC. Even with XP! The main problem with the PC is it's interface. It's an inferior unthought out interface, it stinks. One who as known no other OS might see nothing wrong with it. Believe me, there's lots wrong with that user interface. There are much better ways to get it done. The Mac is way more fun to work with and much, much, much, more efficient. One other point that makes the PC inferior is the need to constantly be on the look out for viruses. Oh, and having to hack it so as to prevent pop-ups. Oh... and all that spyware. I could go on but it would turn into a "bashing" session. I have no desire to add fire to a useless debate. Some get it, some don't, and some just don't want to look.
  • Reply 19 of 54
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    A friend of mine got a dell from his grandparents for college 9 months ago. He is not a computer nerd by any means and he found Windows to be confusing and hard to use. He would always play with my PowerBook 1Ghz Ti when he came over and he finally turned around and bought a new 12" PowerBook. Didn't cost him much with the education prices. Anyway, he is giving the dell to his sister cause he can't stand it. He figured out how to use the Mac OS in just a few days and only had a few questions. He says things are much more organized and easy to do. File sharing is one of them he claims. With XP all the network stuff is scattered everywhere and you need wizards to make things work. Where of course on the apple you just click the file sharing check mark. Anyway, he loved the powerbook he takes it everywhere. I was trying to use windows to transfer his music to the PowerBook. Couldn't figure out how to get windows networking to actually work. I was really confused. I ended up just using ftp to transfer them. LOL command line ftp is easier than windows. sad...
  • Reply 20 of 54
    I use a PC since 1984. I use a Mac at my home since 2003. XP is by far the best version of Windows available. OS-X is the better designed operating system and the iMac is just beautiful. The PC still looks the same after 20years.

I might start comparing Windows and OS-X when Windows allows me to drag and drop internet explorer into the trash can to remove it permanently from the system. Until that happens, you can read http://www.xvsxp.com .