bad compression or recording in iTMS?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
as i made my way down the top 100 songs, listening to previews, i got to norah jones' sunrise . when she sings her 'ooo ooo' things, there is some ugly noise. is it her studios fault or an example of bad compression? i would suggest that its just my speakers, but i've never heard that in my other songs before.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member

Sounds just fine to me.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Just buy the CD and give her some more money, ya bastard. You can rip it at whatever you want. I did.

• Reply 3 of 8
    maybe it was my speakers... i need to get some creatures...

edit: the rhyme was unintentional
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Are the streaming previews 128kbps as well?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    When streaming it, my network monitor reports an average of about 19KBps = 152 Kbps.

I tried simply grabbing the stream with a utility called tcpflow, but it didn't produce a valid mp3, m4a or m4u file. I even tried tacking on a m4a header with Resourcerer, to no avail.

The file it grabbed, though is 484 KB = 3872Kb = 129.066 Kbps for 30 seconds.

So, It's probably 128..
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I remembered that Steve mentioned the preview is 128k.

Meanwhile, I found some of the preview tracks (esp. remix) were totally on the wrong cut. How can I decide should I buy the song if the preview is just the same tone.

For example: Toxic (Armand Van Helden Remix)
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Both the previews and the purchased files are recorded at 128 kbps.

Make sure you turn off any equalizer or sound enhancer settings. I listened to that first clip through my headphones and even with my discerning ear it sounded pretty good.

I have Norah Jones' other album (real CD, not downloaded) and her voice sounds just right in that streamed file.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    While we are on the topic she is a very good artist. I'd recommend all three of her CD's available at the iTMS.