Powerbook Ti Audio-In problem

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hello,

I'm trying to use garageband with my guitar.

I plug in my guitar to the audio in jack in my Powerbook Ti but when I trry to record, it looks like nothing is being received.

I went to System Preferences and selected line in but when I test it...nothing...

Any solutions??? please help!!!

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    WOW.....I've been using PC's for WAY too long.....Of course , I just found the Audio In port on the BAck of my Ti...

PLEASE FOR GIVE ME!!!!!!

Now I KNOW I have to get rid of all the PC's in my house...hahahahahahaha

Strike this thread from this site...

So it shall be written...So it SHALL....be dun....
  • Reply 2 of 7
    It is more likely that it is your adaptor. But I wouldn't discount a lose input.

it happens, that's the nature of inputs.

But, try different cables and adaptors, experiment with wedging the adaptor in at different angles.

edit: oh!!! you were putting it in the headphone OUT!?!?!

• Reply 3 of 7
    Hahahahaha....yeah my bad!!!

But here's another question...I plugged in a microphone and it seems like it doesn't pick up sound from it very well...It's kind of low compared to the other instruments. I'm recording vocals.

Is it the microphone or is there a setting I need to adjust?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    well, plug it into the line in(also known as external mic in), and check the signal in system prefs, you might not be getting anything, because most mics are passive, that is they don't output an amplified signal.

So, open up GB, and create a new 'real instrument' track, you can make it 'no effects' or whatever, but test it in GB, you *Should* get amplification in GB, as it has software based amplification.

if not, then you will either need an active mic, or a mic preamp.

but again, you *should* be fine in GB.

You might want to increase the external line in gain in the system prefs, then increase the gain in GB, or lower the gain of the other instruments in the mix as well.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by O-Mac

Hahahahaha....yeah my bad!!!

But here's another question...I plugged in a microphone and it seems like it doesn't pick up sound from it very well...It's kind of low compared to the other instruments. I'm recording vocals.

Is it the microphone or is there a setting I need to adjust?

Without going in to much detail, Mics are different than instruments. If Garage Band has a mixer ( I haven't used it) I would suggest turning the trim up quite a bit for the Mic.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Pardon my ignorance but Tibooks have an audio-in port? Where??
  • Reply 7 of 7
    The Audio-In port is in the back next tot he S-video port.

I have the 1GHz Ti..I think powerbooks before that didn't have an Audio-in??

I think that was one of the reasons why i didn't get a powerbook before...