iTunes : Slight "hiccup" on 0 second gaps

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
When I play music in iTunes, I set the crossfade to zero seconds, and the album plays thru with absolutely no gaps.

but when I burn it with a "0 second" gap, there's a noticeable hiccup between the track change .

anyone else experiencing this? Sometimes Toast doesn't do the job either. I'd rather not waste two CDs

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    this is my biggest gripe with iTunes, as long as I can remember(soundjam did this too) there has always been a tiny hiccup between tracks. I remember using Musicmatch a couple times and it stood out to me how there was no hiccup, if there was supposed to be a seamless transition from two songs on an album, there was. It was nice.

I wonder why it is that iTunes(and soundjam) do this?

edit: I realize you are talking about burned CDs here, I've noticed that this issue has stretched over to CDs that I have burned as well, but I don't burn many CDs so it's a moot point for me there.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    youre burning cd's.... unless you have thousands of dollars to professionally master the cd and make it so there arent gaps, youre gonna have to deal with the fact that the laser has to skip tracks. thats the way its always been with burned cd's.

btw, it seems there is a post about some sort of 'no gap' thing EVERY DAY! granted this one is different, but still....
  • Reply 3 of 6
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    If you want a zero-second gap, you have to put the two tracks in a single file. You can do this by selecting them and choosing the "Join Tracks" function in the "Advanced" menu before importing the CD. If you don't want to re-import them, you can combine them using a little shareware app called SoundStudio. I got it bundled with my eMac for free, but it's also available for download at VersionTracker. Basically, you combine the two tracks, and then you go in and remove the small flat area between them. That should eliminate the gap. I've done this a couple times with no problems at all.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Why don't you just put the songs in Toast and burn there with a 0 second gap? (sans hiccup)
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by stevegongrui

Why don't you just put the songs in Toast and burn there with a 0 second gap? (sans hiccup) [/B]

As someone who burns mostly live concerts, I know a little bit about this. However annoying you find these small gaps in regular music, it's 10x worse on a CD of a live show.

Short of combining all the tracks on the CD into one, iTunes will always have audible gaps between tracks. And, I prefer to have my CDs properly tracked so I can skip, repeat, cue/review, etc.

So, I use Toast, with all gaps set to 0 sec. (except for the first track, which must be 2 sec.).

A helpful hint is to check the "Create file names with track number" box under Importing in your iTunes prefs. That way, you can drag all of a CD's tracks from its Finder folder into the Toast window at once, and track order will be preserved. Otherwise, Toast tries to be "helpful" by alphabetizing the tracks for you...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stevegongrui

Why don't you just put the songs in Toast and burn there with a 0 second gap? (sans hiccup)

I've used Toast to do it before, and once in awhile, it'll result in the same thing .... ? Though, less frequent than iTunes. \