Other UIs for OS X?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Grrrrarrrr....AAAAARRRrrrrrrrr....

FrankenMac.

Yeah, I think he'd do better by learning the Dock inside and out as well, but I know what he's going for. (ie, 'make it like I'm used to' )

jasonvp: Try the Dock out for 30 days, and if you don't like it, I'll refund your money. (Since it's free, I have little problem making this offer. )
  • Reply 22 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

but I know what he's going for. (ie, 'make it like I'm used to' )

And there's nothing wrong with that, right? :-)

Quote:

jasonvp: Try the Dock out for 30 days, and if you don't like it, I'll refund your money. (Since it's free, I have little problem making this offer.)

Well, I'll need to first purchase a Mac before I can "try the Dock." I haven't yet convinced myself that I want to right now, especially with rumblings of new hardware coming out from Apple. But that's a discussion for a different group. :-)

jas
  • Reply 23 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasonvp

And there's nothing wrong with that, right? :-)

Well, it begs the questions 1) Why not stick with what you have, and 2) You gonna stick with it forever?

Quote:

Well, I'll need to first purchase a Mac before I can "try the Dock." I haven't yet convinced myself that I want to right now, especially with rumblings of new hardware coming out from Apple. But that's a discussion for a different group. :-)

You haven't *tried* it yet?

You might wanna do that before deciding you want to change it.

I'm an old Solaris/HP-UX/younameitifit'sX11 wonk myself - and I have to say that while there have been things I've wanted in the UI for MacOS X, I've yet to not find either a better way or a functionally equivalent way to do it. CVD is my *only* 3rd party UI enhancement, and with that, I'm more than satisfied. You like scripting? You'll love this UI... it's just a bit hidden from the casual user.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I own CVD also and it's great. It's the one to beat if you are creating a pager/etc.

I do like the Desktop Manager a bit better because it feels a little more stripped down, but I suppose once he adds what I miss from CVD, they might both be as "bloated" as each other
  • Reply 25 of 36
    Quote:

1) Why not stick with what you have

I am going to stick with what I have. I'm certainly not going to throw away my Linux server or workstation. I'm just considering adding a Mac to the collection, to have access to better photo processing tools (Capture One, Photoshop CS, etc.)

Quote:

2) You gonna stick with it forever?

As I said previously, I've been happily using Motif (and then CDE) for the last 13 or so years and have been quite satisfied with it. It works the way I need it to. It's somewhat spartan and doesn't clutter my desktop with icons or MS-inspired "Start" menus.

So yeah, I'll stick with it forever. If it ain't broke ...

Quote:

You haven't *tried* it yet?

Ah but I have tried it, several times. And each time it completely frustrates me because I can't ever find what I'm looking for. Sorry if I hadn't made that clear previously. But you said "Try it for 30 days and then ..." which I can't do. I don't have contiguous access to a Mac. Yet. :-)

jas
  • Reply 26 of 36
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

I know, but if I understand things correctly, the X11 server would be on another screen? Switchable via a keyboard combo? That's not exactly what I'm after.

I still don't understand what is the problem with that. The X11 server will run on your main display, rootless along with Aqua applications, or full screen, in which case you can switch between the X11 and the Aqua desktop via Cmd-Opt-a, always on the same display. Personally, I prefer the full screen mode, since it separates well the two environments and the use of workspaces makes more sense. I don't know about Panther, but in Jaguar it works perfectly.

I find this way of doing work on a Mac a valuable tool, since you have the best of the two worlds (wait, three, if we count classic MacOS applications and, yes, four, if we count windows applications on VirtualPC), sitting only a keyboard combo or mouse click away. Not a restart, no supplementary screens attached, nothing. Only your Mac (even notebook), with its main screen and the software.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    Quote:

I am going to stick with what I have. I'm certainly not going to throw away my Linux server or workstation. I'm just considering adding a Mac to the collection, to have access to better photo processing tools (Capture One, Photoshop CS, etc.)

As I said previously, I've been happily using Motif (and then CDE) for the last 13 or so years and have been quite satisfied with it. It works the way I need it to. It's somewhat spartan and doesn't clutter my desktop with icons or MS-inspired "Start" menus.

So yeah, I'll stick with it forever. If it ain't broke ...

Well that was actually a tongue in cheek comment on my part...

Quote:

Ah but I have tried it, several times. And each time it completely frustrates me because I can't ever find what I'm looking for. Sorry if I hadn't made that clear previously. But you said "Try it for 30 days and then ..." which I can't do. I don't have contiguous access to a Mac. Yet. :-)

Fair enough. I think you might be pleasantly surprised once you get over the learning curve. I know I was.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    I'd definitely second trying the Dock for a little while (and just a bit of set-up to create some docked folders) to see just how useful it can be...

However, if you're looking for a speedy, alternative way to launch applications, LaunchBar is a very savvy (and popular) third-party utility. It's a steal for $20.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

I'd definitely second trying the Dock for a little while (and just a bit of set-up to create some docked folders) to see just how useful it can be...

However, if you're looking for a speedy, alternative way to launch applications, LaunchBar is a very savvy (and popular) third-party utility. It's a steal for $20.

You mean they are stealing it from you?

<stupidity and arrogance>

Sorry I know this isn't the point of this thread, and you are comfortable with your setup, but my eyes almost started bleeding when I saw your screenshot.

And I thought windows was ugly...

Grey + Greg = Keep razor blades away from me after an hour...

http://mobocracy.no-ip.com/DesktopYOU.jpg

Color, beauty, style, happiness!

http://mobocracy.no-ip.com/DesktopME.jpg

OS X looks so good you get annoyed by firefox's ugly world, so you recreate it and give it an OS X looking world

</stupidity and arrogance>

Edit: Also I'm showing the right click in the dock to get a list of applications. It's messy because I have tons of stuff.

I guess whatever works for you though right?
  • Reply 30 of 36
    ast3r3x, anyone who keeps folders on the Desktop isn't allowed to play in UI discussions. *shudder*

• Reply 31 of 36
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

ast3r3x, anyone who keeps folders on the Desktop isn't allowed to play in UI discussions. *shudder*

Agreed. I'm pretty clean, save for a folder or two that holds the file that I'm currently working on for a project. (For example, my website)
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Quote:

I know I know I'm working on it. I still have bad habits and am trying to figure out where to put some of my stuff...I use the my desktop like I keep my room. Clean, but I pile stuff on the floor all week. At the end of the week I clean it. It is normally better then that though...normally I'd have hid more under my dock menu thing I showed

I can't get by without things on my desktop, but normally it's only this:

http://mobocracy.no-ip.com/Clean.jpg

I have the volume scroller on my desktop because I want to remind myself to make an icon for it so I can put it in the dock. Once I make an icon for my DC folder I won't mind it being there. Folders can be on your desktop as long as they look good and don't clutter. I let myself be slightly sloppy
  • Reply 33 of 36
    knappaknappa Posts: 106member
    Quote:

Kickaha 1 - ast3r3x 0
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

but my eyes almost started bleeding when I saw your screenshot.

And I thought windows was ugly...

So, you're not keen on my desktop; that's fine. I think the screenshot of yours is way too busy. Too much stuff happening in the background; too many flashy colors, etc.

But, that's my opinion. We can disagree. :-)

jas
  • Reply 35 of 36
    Quote:

So, you're not keen on my desktop; that's fine. I think the screenshot of yours is way too busy. Too much stuff happening in the background; too many flashy colors, etc.

But, that's my opinion. We can disagree. :-)

jas

I know, I like color what can I say. Even though I figured you'd like my FireFox icon

I agree with can disagree
  • Reply 36 of 36
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Jasonvp's desktop looks perfectly fine to me. Not everyone likes their screen exploding with color.

BTW, I'd just like to underline that recommendation to check out LaunchBar. I think it's what you're looking for, and will go a long way in answering your qualms with speedy app launching in OS X.