iPod and car stereo RCA pre-outs

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Looking to put in a new CD/Receiver in my car and while only a handful have front AUX outputs, most have RCA pre-outs in the back.

Does that mean I can simply run an RCA to minijack cable from the back, snake it through to the front, and connect it to my iPod?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Looking to put in a new CD/Receiver in my car and while only a handful have front AUX outputs, most have RCA pre-outs in the back.

Does that mean I can simply run an RCA to minijack cable from the back, snake it through to the front, and connect it to my iPod?

No, they are pre-OUTs. To be connected to amps, etc. You need one that has a pre-IN (or line level input, like the front AUX INputs). You can get a little cable for some head units that give you a line-level in from the CD-changer inputs (like my Blaupunkt). People make harnesses for Alpines that have line-level inputs too, and Alpine itself will come out w/ some kinda box that let you plug the iPod in via the dock connector.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Thanks for the info... I want to keep this as simple as possible so I'll just look for one with a direct AUX input (front or back).