iPod mini + battery = ? (2 years down the road)

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014

Just bought a new iPod mini (blue) Love it!!!

The battery is internal-non repaceable ((so they say))

Anyone know what Apple will charge for a new one + labor ??

It should last what: 1 1/2 to 3 years???

Anyone looked into this yet ??

Thanks

** sorry if this has been a topic before - I did a search: did not see it brought up - so sorry in advance if it has 8)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    It is in the wrong forum though...

iPod discussion = Digital Hub
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by M.O.S.T

Just bought a new iPod mini (blue) Love it!!!

The battery is internal-non repaceable ((so they say))

Anyone know what Apple will charge for a new one + labor ??

It should last what: 1 1/2 to 3 years???

Anyone looked into this yet ??

Thanks

** sorry if this has been a topic before - I did a search: did not see it brought up - so sorry in advance if it has 8)

does any of that REALLY matter? you already bought it, and you love it. if something drastic happens to it, apple will fix it. just dont worry about it and enjoy your mini.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

does any of that REALLY matter? you already bought it, and you love it. if something drastic happens to it, apple will fix it. just dont worry about it and enjoy your mini.

Why not just make it R E P L A C A B L E ?????

Out of the 1 year W. I would guess that will be 50ish for the battery && a good 50+ for labor!
  • Reply 4 of 9
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I read a review and someone said it was a standard battery. Probably not specifically designed by apple. Worst case scenario, your battery dies after 2 years, Apple won't support it, and you have to go down to Radio Shack to pick up a new one.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Just for a point of information, the battery is factory replaceable. It will be done by Apple for free if it fails under warranty (they may actually replace the entire unit - not unusal in electronics goods). Apple will support replacement after the warranty runs out for a fee. The regular iPod is actually easier to replace the battery and several companies will either send you a new battery with instructions on opening the unit or perform the replacement for additional $. In 2 years if your battery dies you'll be able to have it replaced as I'm sure the companies that now offer replacement batteries will do the same for the mini. As said in an above post don't worry. Incidentally, the Dell Jukebox has a sealed battery which is also user "unreplaceable". Many of the hard drive MP3 players are like that. I believe the iPod mini battery is made by Sanyo (I could be wrong however). Apple does not make the battery. You will not be able to go to Radio Shack to buy a replacement. Misinformation by the poster.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    iPodbattery.com is where you go for your replacement.

Don't worry.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    2 yrs ago ipods were huge and held like 5 and 10 gig now they are thinner and lighter and hold 15 - 40 gigs, i replace my diskman every couple of years, better anti-skip or the thing just wears out after two years of use, there is a product lifespan, most personal music players since the sony walkman had a lifespan of 2-4 years, depending on how hard it was used, and the batteries could pop right out!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

iPodbattery.com is where you go for your replacement.

Don't worry.

I don't know; their website looks pretty crappy. They can't even distinguish between iPod and Ipod. What does that prove? Absolutely nothing, of course, but it doesn't make me feel any more comfortable about doing business with them.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cooop

I don't know; their website looks pretty crappy. They can't even distinguish between iPod and Ipod. What does that prove? Absolutely nothing, of course, but it doesn't make me feel any more comfortable about doing business with them.

small dog also does replacement.

$49 for a do it yourself kit, $69 to have them do it for you.