G5 + 9600 + 7000 Pci

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Here's what I am looking to do.

I want my G5 to play DVDs out to a television. What I am thinking of doing is Adding in a Radeon 7000 Mac edition for the S-Video Out. Should work no? anyone doing something similar, mainly getting DVDs to play out to your TV, and if so, how are you doing it. I see a lot of solutions, and right now, i am looking for the best, and hopefully cheapest one.

Thanks-

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    If you do do this, I would be interested if you post results. I also have a 7000 and a G5 but I am done poking around for a while.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gigawire

Here's what I am looking to do.

I want my G5 to play DVDs out to a television. What I am thinking of doing is Adding in a Radeon 7000 Mac edition for the S-Video Out. Should work no? anyone doing something similar, mainly getting DVDs to play out to your TV, and if so, how are you doing it. I see a lot of solutions, and right now, i am looking for the best, and hopefully cheapest one.

Thanks-

The retail Radeon 9800 Pro has S-Video out. If I had to guess, I'd say the retail 9600 did too. Of course, neither of these are cheaper than a 7000, and you also lose the ability of having a third monitor. You do save a PCI slot though.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Apple has a DVI to Video Adapter (Apple Store/Apple Accessories):

- "Use the DVI to Video Adapter to connect the DVI port on Power Mac G5 (only) to any S-video or Composite enabled device."-

You do not indicate what display you are currently using. If you are using the DVI port to VGA adapter you can get an ADC to VGA adapter:

http://www.drbott.com/prod/db.lasso?code=0117-ADCV

I think you can get an ADC to DVI adapter. There is one listed @ the Dr. Bott's site above but says it is not currently available. I cannot seem to find a link to one right now.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by deadeye

Apple has a DVI to Video Adapter (Apple Store/Apple Accessories):

- "Use the DVI to Video Adapter to connect the DVI port on Power Mac G5 (only) to any S-video or Composite enabled device."-

You do not indicate what display you are currently using. If you are using the DVI port to VGA adapter you can get an ADC to VGA adapter:

http://www.drbott.com/prod/db.lasso?code=0117-ADCV

I think you can get an ADC to DVI adapter. There is one listed @ the Dr. Bott's site above but says it is not currently available. I cannot seem to find a link to one right now.

Excellent! Thanks Deadeye!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Got the DVI to S_Video adapter today. Works like a charm, and has composite out as well. That coupled with a 1/8" to composite cable for sound, a BT mouse and keyboard and you have a DVD Server.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gigawire

Got the DVI to S_Video adapter today. Works like a charm, and has composite out as well. That coupled with a 1/8" to composite cable for sound, a BT mouse and keyboard and you have a DVD Server.

I'm really impressed with it also, it always works, unlike the retail versions of ATi's built in support. As long as it's connected at start up...it just works.

and 20 bucks! GREAT. DEAL.

-WALLOo.