Apple Remote Desktop

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
In Panther, an entry for Apple Remote Desktop is listed under System / Sharing preferences. Is the Apple Remote Desktop client at http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/ the only way to connect to this service?

What options do I have to remotly control the GUI in Panther from a Windows XP Professional system?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I use VNC.

OSXVNC as the server, and any old VNC client on the PC (or other Mac, for that matter). It's not the fastest thing in the world, and there is some fun stuff that can happen to shortcut keys from a remote machine, but overall it gets the job done.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Yes, the only way to that service is by purchasing Apple Remote Desktop.

Like Noleli2, though, I run a VNC server on my Mac. Whenever I want to connect from the other side of campus, I do it securely by piping the connection over SSH. It works beautifully. I can post instructions if you'd like.

One caveat: you'll need a lot of bandwidth between the computers for decent screen redraws.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Yes, the only way to that service is by purchasing Apple Remote Desktop.

Like Noleli2, though, I run a VNC server on my Mac. Whenever I want to connect from the other side of campus, I do it securely by piping the connection over SSH. It works beautifully. I can post instructions if you'd like.

One caveat: you'll need a lot of bandwidth between the computers for decent screen redraws.

Brad, could you please post instructions on how to pipe the conection over SSH?

Currently, I'm using Timbuktu, and I'm very interested in a cross-platform solution to connect to Macs/Windows machines. Or Mac/Mac, Windows/Windows connections....

Is the bandwidth needed for VNC much different from ARD? Timbuktu? PCAnywhere? etc. etc. ?

• Reply 4 of 8
    Brad, please post instructions! Please!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I'd be interested in hearing how this works too.
  • Reply 6 of 8
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Spiffy! Thanks. No more unsecuredness for me.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I think I'm going to have to look into that DNS shizzy.

-walloo.