I loved my Mac until...(attn: medical field)

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I tried to download medical software for my PDA. I am a 3rd year med student, and I'd like to download epocrates, 5-minute medical consult, etc, but the programs are not mac-compatible!!! Does anyone have any experience with this, or any advice??

Thanks in advance,,,

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Any idea if VPC will run the apps?

Might be solution if all else fails.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Yeah that situation sucks. Some of the apps have direct installations so you don't need a pc to install them. If they don't, you should email the companies and make them send you the .prc files or give you a refund. As far as I know, Skyscape had installation files for people who don't have a pc, but that could have changed.

I don't believe epocrates will send you the .prc files because their app NEEDS to be upto date for reasons that are obvious. I know they did away with the free version of the app for the Mac, but I thought they were offering the paid-for version for us. It's been a while since I've used the apps, so I can't say for sure....good luck. Please post back with your results.

If all else fails, I know you can use VPC to install them....
  • Reply 3 of 4
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Crap, so those apps aren't Mac compatible, I'm in the medical field, I don't want no PC! Please post back here if you find a solution, I would be very interested too!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Thanks for the replies...this is what I have found thus far.

1) Epocrates Pro is available for Mac. My school (probably avilable at every school) has a special code so I can get the program for $15. Not bad, I guess. I haven't gotten it yet, but probably will soon.

2) I asked a friend to download palm software for a number of programs on her Dell, and she burnt it to a cd. I was able to open these on my Powerbook, and install them onto my Palm. Programs I have include 5-minute clinical consult, the washington manual, and the john hopkins antibiotic guide. They all seem to work fine.

Hope this helps!