how much video will an external drive hold?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
HI,

I am archiving video from a tivo and also from old VHS tapes. How much video (in hours) should I expect a 120g or 200g hard drive to hold?

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    raw dv video is 216MB/minute, so do the math. if you have final cut, there's something in the prefs (i forget where) that tells you how many minutes you have left on the volume. if you compress it, then who knows... there are thousands of ways to compress video...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    It all depends on the file type and the type of video compression being used. I don't know what a Tivo uses, but if you're just talking about recording what the Tivo plays using a DV converter or a camera into iMovie or something, it's approximately 7 gigs per half-hour. So you're looking at 8 and 1/2 hours on the 120, and 14 and 1/4 on the 200.

That's full resolution, broadcast-quality NTSC video though. If you're willing to sacrifice some quality, Quicktime Pro and iMovie (to some extent) give you all kinds of compression options and it all comes down to how much quality you're willing to sacrifice.

For instance:

I myelf am 2 episodes away from converting my entire VHS collection of Star Trek to Mpeg-4 for convenience. (yes, I know, I'm a geek) The raw, full quality video files for all 80 episodes (counting the un-aired first pilot) would be 1,120 gigabytes total. Well, all the hard disks on both of my computers only total 260 so that won't do. With a little compression and converting them down to half of normal resolution, they're all very watchable and come in just under 22 gigabytes.

If you've got a superdrive you can also burn off fav TV episodes and whatnot using iDVD. Then delete the video file and keep all your hard disk space.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    muahmuah Posts: 165member
    Quote:

I myelf am 2 episodes away from converting my entire VHS collection of Star Trek to Mpeg-4 for convenience.

Doing all that conversion doesn't sound convenient to me.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by muah

Doing all that conversion doesn't sound convenient to me.

40 odd VHS cassettes are a lot harder to cart around than a 12" iBook or my firewire drive. Now I can pull up nearly any episode with a couple of clicks. My VHS cassettes aren't even with me here at school, they're tucked away in my room at home. And it's not that difficult really, once in awhile I pop one in, start it capturing and go do something else. Then after awhile I take the file and dumb it down.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    cris84cris84 Posts: 34member
    thanks for the information.

Guartho, congrats on the accomplishment