iPod users, please come in...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    I own an almost two year old 5 GB iPod, and I'm 21.

But yeah, this is really bad sample population for a college level research assignment.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    30 gig and original 5gig. I'm 21.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Yeah, I'm not convinced posting in net forums is a good way to get results...for one, it is almost all dudes...and i know many girls at school who love carrying around their ipods but don't care nearly enough about tech to post at a forum such as this.

it is hard to get good data, so i hope this forum is one of your many data collection points...

if it helps, i'm 22 and have a 3g 15gb
  • Reply 24 of 43
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    15G 3rd Gen, 38 years old. Mac at work and home.

Wife has 10G 3rd Gen, 34 years old. Mac at home, PC at work.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    hahahah, people, of course this is not my only data point, but i do appreciate all the feedback!
  • Reply 26 of 43
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    my brother, 21, and I 19, share a 20gb iPod.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    I noticed you're just looking for peoples age (36 here by the way)... although lots have offered which iPod they have also. If you're trying to determine a "target market"... you're going to need alot more info than that... and as someone posted earlier... the target market is set by Apple... not the people buying the product. An age alone isn't really going to get you anywhere... except the general age of your sample group. I would imagine Apple's marketing strategy is more advanced than that (I hope). Are you looking for any other information for this paper? I would imagine the whole demographic that they're going after would be more useful. Age range, profession, salary range (given in very broad categories... people won't want to reveal their exact salaries), hobbies, educational level, residence (as in rural, urban, etc)... all of those things play an important role in developing a marketing strategy (along with a zillion other things).

As others have mentioned... you'll likely get a more segmented portion of the total iPod owners here. You'll tend to get more tech oriented folks here. I'd say the vast majority of iPod owners will never visit this forum (and indeed... any other forums). The iPod has made the digital audio player a consumer electronics device... not a computer component as they have sort of been in the past. Many of the people that use the iPod will just connect it to their computer to transer their music and never think about it as anything more than they thought about a CD player or portable radio. They won't be interested in the technology side of it... but only that it does what they want it to do. Those are the people that will never see your post here.

You'll need to find more generalized places to get truly meaningful and balanced data. Also... a more efficient was of accomplishing this here is to start a poll instead.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    egads... flashbacks to writing papers in college.

If AppleInsider is going to be your only source for this report, you have to realise that your target will be limited:

AI is mostly Apple users... mostly quite fanatical. If Apple had started selling iPoop I'm pretty sure you'd have people around here that woulda bought it.

So, your report will have to be of "people from an Apple fanatic website" and not really a good representation of population in general.

anyhoo...

28 with a 40gigger
  • Reply 29 of 43
    donnydonny Posts: 231member
    I got the first edition iPod at release, and I just recently picked up a new 20 GB model. I'm 28.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    The TA in me would like to echo the research concerns already posted here, but I'll also share my demographic info of 27 with an old school 5 gigger with the class.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Oh what the heck. 35, with a 40GB iPod.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    28 with an original 5giger. One day, when I have money, I'm going to upgrade....
  • Reply 33 of 43
    sunreinsunrein Posts: 138member
    27 with a 20GB iPod.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    I'm 33 and recently got a 40GB iPod
  • Reply 35 of 43
    you guys are all so cute... flexing your brain muscles about how to obtain proper demographics. i sure learned a lot! but since everyone else is doing it, i want to too:

i'm a GIRL, and not techy, yet still a member of this site, i'm 24, and my most wonderfullest boyfriend got me a 40 GB ipod for Valentine's Day. so do i defy the odds yet?
  • Reply 36 of 43
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Originally posted by luckystar52

i'm a GIRL, and not techy, yet still a member of this site, i'm 24, and my most wonderfullest boyfriend got me a 40 GB ipod for Valentine's Day. so do i defy the odds yet?

What did your other boyfriends get you?
  • Reply 37 of 43
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    Quote:

Originally posted by luckystar52

you guys are all so cute... flexing your brain muscles about how to obtain proper demographics

er...um...ah....oh never mind.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

er...um...ah....oh never mind.

• Reply 39 of 43
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    15 GB and im 16
  • Reply 40 of 43
    mike peelmike peel Posts: 185member
    40GB; 19. Was originally a PC user when I bought the 'pod; am now a joint PC-Mac user...