Lord of the Rings - Which was Really the Best?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

They're all equally good in my eyes...since I haven't seen any of them.

Same here, I fell asleep watching the first one and didn't bother trying to watch the latter two. But I'm happy Sean Penn got an Oscar
  • Reply 22 of 52
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

I believe they are due on May 25th of this year. A little hobbit told me.

Both of them? The extended, too? I'm looking forward to some of the new scenes. And I hope the ending gets longer.

I suppose their goals are different this year - in the past, they were trying to build momentum for the next movie. This time, they're trying to build off the momentum of the Oscars.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    Quote:

Both of them? The extended, too?

No, the extended version of RotK is in November but they are adding in a whole extra hour of footage.

Cheers,

C.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    They were all decent until the ending of the last one. The entire theater burst out laughing when Froho belted out the "Gaaaaaaaandolf" at the end. I didn't think it was possible for an ending to ruin a movie more than AI, then I saw RoTK.
  • Reply 25 of 52
    I've voted for the Fellowship of the Ring because it was my introduction to the Lord of the Rings (I didn't actually expect to like it as much as I did but I absolutely loved it) and because of Aragorn, the terrifying Dark Riders, Boromir's Last Stand and because it was absolutely brilliant. That ride down the river. Cate Blanchet. The struggle over the mountain.

And because it is mercifully free of snogging Hobbits (wankers.)

However. The Two Towers begins with Gandalf fighting the big dragon thingie, the Balrog (that's it), introduces Gollum (heartbreaking), and has the return of Gandalf the White who KICKS ARSE. And it has the Elves turning up at Helms Deep to kick their own version of arse.

Shit.

I should have voted for The Two Towers. It's the best one.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    AI ruined AI: Blade Runner meets Martha Stuart, with all the suburban plu-moral sighing that implies. Robot equals simulation of being, equals irrelevant. Simulation of soul equals soul, equals human replacement, equals danger. Either way, the only redeeming character of the whole affair was the carnival operator. This was not Pinocchio for the 21st century, rather something more insidious. I recal wanting to see Haley Joe's head split open with an axe within about 5 minutes of his appearance on screen. I'm loathe to apply morality to any story, but you have to earn my suspension of disbelief. AI was garbage, too busy congratulating itself for its own empathic superiority to realize the narcistic fantasy it presents, its dangers, or its allure.

It's the first film I could really say is amoral.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Concord

No, the extended version of RotK is in November but they are adding in a whole extra hour of footage.

I was about to post that I am not sure about the extended edition, but that the two standard and wide-screen editions are for May 25 AFAIK. An extra *hour*? Sweeeeet! This can only mean good things....
  • Reply 28 of 52
    What! No 'they all suck and I'm sick of them' option? call this a poll
  • Reply 29 of 52
    Relax, have a taco....
  • Reply 30 of 52
    To follow up, both the Full Screen and Wide Screen Editions of the RotK DVDs are listed on Amazon now... available May 25th, as reported by this LotR junky earlier this year.

No sign of the Extended Edition so Concord appears to have it right; it probably won't be released until the Fall. So that begs teh question: what are we looking forward to more, OS 10.4 or the Extended Edition of RotK.

I vote the latter.

• Reply 31 of 52
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    Why didn't Gandolf, Gimli, Legolas, Aragorn and the giant eagles do all the fighting? Hell, they can't be killed...
  • Reply 32 of 52
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    Fellowship lays out the playing field nicely, and has the fewest missteps. Importantly, we get to know Frodo, Bilbo, Gandalf and company as characters. ROTK, on the other hand, just moves from plot point to CGI moment and back again.
  • Reply 33 of 52
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    In the books there were plenty of songs. Why was there no singing in the films? I can only recall a very short little ditty on eating fish, by Gollum...er and maybe some hobbits sang a bit in the Shire, I'm not sure.

I wonder if they ever will release a special extended musical version. I want to see those elves get down and boogie. I want to see Viggo and Cate do a duet. If they ever do, I may have to revise my vote.
  • Reply 34 of 52
    I noticed that too as I read the books. There were limericks and songs all over the place, but other than some Elven goodness and a few drunken hobits there were hardly any songs in the movie. Not that I mind really, I just noticed is all.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

I noticed that too as I read the books. There were limericks and songs all over the place, but other than some Elven goodness and a few drunken hobits there were hardly any songs in the movie. Not that I mind really, I just noticed is all.

I'll bet jackson was torn over this, because on the one hand, tolkien loved his limericks and his songs and his poems, he loved language and any expression of it, to him they were just as pivotal to the world as the races that lived there. And in that respect, they should have been included, however, no one in the mainstream audience would care for them, often times when I talk to people about the movies(unwashed people that never read the books) they express disinterest to the limited singing that was included.

ah well, I don't really mind either way, I often skipped over the poems when I was to engrossed in the story to take that time to read them. \
  • Reply 36 of 52
    nwhyseenwhysee Posts: 151member
    The one with the lightsabers
  • Reply 37 of 52
    fangornfangorn Posts: 323member
    Well, I voted for Two Towers because I was thinking of the real movie, ie, the extended version. Does that count? If the extended version of RotK has as much extended footage as I'm hearing (another full hour), then it will be the best by far.

I love all three. I really can't wait for the extended RotK. I'm going to watch them all back to back--spend 10 hours or so in Middle Earth. Guess I better start lining up a baby sitter now.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    fangornfangorn Posts: 323member
    Quote:

Originally posted by agent302

In my personal opinion, I liked the book ROTK the best, but the film Fellowship the best. I think I need to see ROTK again, because I've only seen it once, it for some reason it didn't do it for me like the first two did.

RotK has some of the hardest parts to get through if you ask me. I mean, the part where Frodo and Sam are going across Mordor it just seems to drag on forever (which I'm sure was the intent). They're thirsty, they're tired, and on and on it goes.

And the ending still leaves me wanting more. So I grab the Fellowship and start over.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fangorn

I love all three. I really can't wait for the extended RotK. I'm going to watch them all back to back--spend 10 hours or so in Middle Earth. Guess I better start lining up a baby sitter now.

Indeed! I eagerly await my first Middle Earth marathon weekend. Going to wait for a crappy, rainy Saturday in November (or some such), and just immerse myself for an entire day. At first I disliked the sort of disjointed feel of the multi-disc movies, but then if you drink any pop or chow down during a 10 hour movie fest, short breaks may be welcome.

• Reply 40 of 52
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    They were all crap---except maybe for parts of the first and second movies.

The transgressions of Faramir's treatment are COMPLETELY unforgivable.

Period.

.....Even worse than Aragorn going over a cliff---hell, I expected B.A., Hannibal, and Howlin' Wolf Murdock to show up with Crockett and Tubbs to finish the scene.

All three movies were dominated by SPECTACLE, and cannot be considered true drama. What the hell is some no-name gross-out-film director doing handling this kind of material?

Typical cheap pop crap.

These stories have yet to be done properly.