Some Macs just won't die... (with pictures)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I got my hand on an old Performa 630 last month.

I set it all up, and gave the old machine a nice flush with some current. Even though pretty old, it booted flawlessly. After checking out the old system (7.5.5), I shut it down, and prepared it, so I could give it to my brother.

As I was disconnecting the cables, I saw that there was something brown on some connectors. Intrigued by it, I decided to open the case and see what it was.

I opened the case, and pulled out the motherboard.

Backside: Nothing to see of brown stuff.

I turned the motherboard around, and... uh.. my heart skipped a beat.

Yes. It looks like this.

The whole motherboard is completely covered with dried mud. Yes. Dried mud.

Apparently the Mac was part in a flooding, and when the water level went down again, all mud the water brought stayed in place.

The Mac still works, though he gets a little bit hot after some time of use.

What a marvel. Completely covered with mud, flooded with water, but still working.

That's truly a Macintosh.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    You owe it to the little guy to restore it to a new condition.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    Same thing happened to an old g3 box like that we used to have. When Driving home one day(from the computer shop) my brother just stuck the thing out of the window for a second, that did the trick.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

Same thing happened to an old g3 box like that we used to have. When Driving home one day(from the computer shop) my brother just stuck the thing out of the window for a second, that did the trick.

It's mud not dust, Robot
  • Reply 4 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

Hee, hee, hee....

There's a garbage hopper at the block of units I used to live at, that's been spitting out olds Macs for the last 18 months or so. All pretty ancient stuff. About every 6 - 8 weeks a new (old) Mac appears in the hopper. I guess we've dragged out around a dozen or so. We have no idea where they're coming from but so far I think only one has not worked. Needles to say, we counsel them to help them through the harrowing experience and then find them a loving home.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    Still works after flood damage....

Thats why they called it "Performa"
  • Reply 6 of 34
    WoW!!!

Now can you post from it? That would be neat...
  • Reply 7 of 34
    That is truly amazing! After water damage, it still worked. Wow. I'd like to see a PC do that.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Yeah, it's really amazing. I'll take it to work tomorrow, and brush it off with compressed air. At least I'll try to do it. If it won't work, I'm going to brush it off with something else.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    You might try to use some artist's brushes, horsehair or synthetic or something is the comrpessed air doesn't work. Just don't break the bank, those brushes can get expensive.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Bonus points if you can get a comms slot or PDS ethernet card to work in one of those slots.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    beige_g3beige_g3 Posts: 203member
    This is very inspirational!
  • Reply 12 of 34
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    This unit is "special". Clean it up, put a medal on it, and call it R2D2. It may be destined to play a vital role in the future... You can be sure you are on the right track if you encounter some Sith Lord of sorts one day that has traveled back in time to destroy your Performa. ...and your sister doesn't look like Natalie Portman, does she? If so, can you fix us up? She is such a sweet, sexy little ducky!
  • Reply 13 of 34
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

This unit is "special". Clean it up, put a medal on it, and call it R2D2. It may be destined to play a vital role in the future... You can be sure you are on the right track if you encounter some Sith Lord of sorts one day that has traveled back in time to destroy your Performa. ...and your sister doesn't look like Natalie Portman, does she? If so, can you fix us up? She is such a sweet, sexy little ducky!

dude. take a cold shower...
  • Reply 14 of 34
    What are ya? Dead down below? She's legal now- what's the big deal?
  • Reply 15 of 34
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

What are ya? Dead down below? She's legal now- what's the big deal?

she was 'legal' before i even knew she existed.

i was more responding to your projection of natalie portman on defiant's sister. if i had a younger sister i wouldn't want anyone who uses the words sweet, sexy little ducky to even think about her let alone project some other fantasy woman on her...

it was all in jest...
  • Reply 16 of 34
    I hate to say this but it looks like New York right after 9/11. I don't know why but it looks like a tiny city covered in ash. Sorry, I guess I am crazy.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Tell us about your mother... (that's a Freudian reference, btw)
  • Reply 18 of 34
    It could also be the Jack Daniels!
  • Reply 19 of 34
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Hey, nobody saying anything about my sister! She's too young for you guys anyways, so hands-off!

Didn't had a chance to take it to work today, will try again tomorrow. But I won't do the medal thing. Back to work it goes, what else! No lying around in the sun for it! It's a Performa, so it better perform.

Btw, motherboards often look like cities, just look at some movies from the past... ahem.

I'll post pictures when I have it restored to working quality.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    That's sad. At least the rainbow Apple logo is still in perfect condition.

I have a Performa 6116CD.. still working very good with Mac OS 9.1