National Swimming Championships

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I know this is a little early, but I'm really excited so I just figured I'd post it now.

On Tuesday morning I'm leaving for the NCAA Division 3 swimming championships in Fort Pierce, Florida. I'm really excited about the Florida part, I finally get to get away from this Chicago winter!!! This next part is for anyone who is somewhat familiar with competitive swimming, for the rest of you, you can allow your eyes to glaze over for a minute.

I'm swimming 500 free, I hope to go under 5:00.00 in it, 200 backstroke, I want to go under 2:10.00, I'm also swimming 100 backstroke, I'm hoping to go under a :55.00 in that. I also have some relays too. I'm currently seeded in the top 10 in the nation in the 500 free, and the 100 backstroke, so I'm hoping to do really well in those.

So anyway, that's my story, and the reason that I'm going to disappear until next Sunday night (not like anyone was going to miss me anyway :P ). I have this bad feeling that the Rev. B G5s are going to come out this week, and I'm going to miss out on the excitement, don't have too much fun around here without me! Maybe I'll share some pictures when I get back. Wish me luck everyone!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    x xx x Posts: 189member
    Good luck, man. I swam in High School, so swimming is the only thing I like to watch in the Olympics.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    that's great. i swam in hs as well. you got some serious sackage to swim the 500. i did that once in a meet my junior year. after finishing, i told my coach i'd never do that again. i was more of a sprinter myself. not the typical body type, to short. stayed pretty much with the 50 and 100 free, 100 fly, 100 breast, various relays, and the ocassional 200 im. i hated backstroke, probably cause i kind of sucked at it. once i discovered polo, swimming was just a way of staying in condition for it in the off season. i really miss that sport.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Good luck and swim fast. You got your head shaved for this?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    rick1138rick1138 Posts: 938member
    Where are they being held this year? My brother was captain of U Miami swim and diving team a few years ago.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I'm no a sprinter at all, I really don't like it. I'm about 6' 2", I have pretty long arms and legs so I'm built like a distance guy. I'm still debating shaving my head, but I know the rest of the body hair is gonna have to go. So I'll look goofy cause of that. I'm also a water polo player, but my school doesn't have a polo team right now, so I'm working on getting one started. Thanks for all the encouragement guys, see you next week!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by X X

Good luck, man. I swam in High School, so swimming is the only thing I like to watch in the Olympics.

Ditto. Watching competition brings back fun memories. And, the 500 was my best event also... I remember the thrill of breaking 5:00 for the first time my senior year in HS.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

Ditto. Watching competition brings back fun memories. And, the 500 was my best event also... I remember the thrill of breaking 5:00 for the first time my senior year in HS.

I managed to go under 5:00 in HS, but I took too long off between HS and college seasons, so I haven't gotten back to my HS time in that yet. But now that I'm gonna be all shaved and tapered I should be back in top form.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Yep, the conditioning cycle is pretty fragile.

I'm assuming you swim Long Course in the summer as well...

"SWIMMING - it's not just a sport, it's a lifestyle!"

Anyway - GOOD LUCK!!
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

Yep, the conditioning cycle is pretty fragile.

I'm assuming you swim Long Course in the summer as well...

"SWIMMING - it's not just a sport, it's a lifestyle!"

Anyway - GOOD LUCK!!

to true. i moved my senior year in HS from tacoma wa. to dayton oh. needless to say the swimming program was somewhat lacking at my new school. no pool, you had to train on your own, and the coach was a dip shit. my 100 times really dropped off from lack of serious training. the funny part was that i was able to drop nearly 2 seconds off my 50 though. probably due more to typical yearly growth than anything else. polo was non existent in that area. totally screwed my chances for a scholly. 17 years later, and i'm still pissed at my parent for that one.