Does the promo mean "No G5" at MWSF

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Okay, okay, the "officially" part is an exaggeration.

Check this link out:

<a href="http://www.apple.com/promo/crystalclear/"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/promo/crystalclear/</a>;

Apple extended the Crystal Clear promo until January 31, 2002.

IMO, it means one of two things:

1) the new PowerMacs (G4 or G5) will appear after the promo date ends at an iPod-like special event.

2) there will be new G4s at MWSF and this is Apple's way of telling us there won't be any G5s.

I'm sure you'll all come up with your own crazy interpretations.

Frankly, the obsession with the G5 eludes me, so I don't care either way. All I want is a SuperDrive in the low-end PowerMac or high-end iMac. I very much want a SuperDrive setup between $1500 - $2000.

cheers!

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: NeoMac ]

edit- changed title to something less misleading. -Jonathan

[ 12-16-2001: Message edited by: Jonathan ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    ... or this is a way to clear out the PM G4s. If a PM G5 is released, it won't be eligible for this promotion!

Seriously, I'm more interested in what this says about the possibility of new displays at MWSF. Does this mean no 17/19/22 lineup?
  • Reply 2 of 46
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    It might mean no displays at SF. They could be released at Tokyo.

It might mean a delay in the G5. But I don't think so.

I think it is to clear inventory ASAP...of boh PM's and LCDs.
  • Reply 3 of 46
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    You also really need to change this topic heading. It is misleading as you yourself point out.
  • Reply 4 of 46
    Seems kinda silly to set up a deal on "PowerMac G4s" if you're just about to release new ones . . .

I would think that if this promotion is limited to just that model that they would differnentiate it by "2001 G4s" to avoid confusion if there are "2002 G4s" coming out.

Obviously, there wouldn't be any confusion if they just released Power Mac G5s

But they could just wait to label it afterwards.

Or they'll announce G5s that will ship in February. Which would give me some more time to save up!
  • Reply 5 of 46
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Well they limit it to certain part numbers. If there are G4's instead of G5's then the deal would only apply to the older G4's.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    [quote]Originally posted by NeoMac:

<strong>Okay, okay, the "officially" part is an exaggeration.

Check this link out:

<a href="http://www.apple.com/promo/crystalclear/"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/promo/crystalclear/</a>;

Apple extended the Crystal Clear promo until January 31, 2002.

IMO, it means one of two things:

1) the new PowerMacs (G4 or G5) will appear after the promo date ends at an iPod-like special event.

2) there will be new G4s at MWSF and this is Apple's way of telling us there won't be any G5s.

I'm sure you'll all come up with your own crazy interpretations.

Frankly, the obsession with the G5 eludes me, so I don't care either way. All I want is a SuperDrive in the low-end PowerMac or high-end iMac. I very much want a SuperDrive setup between $1500 - $2000.

cheers!

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: NeoMac ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you're going to read into the extension of this promo, at least read into the fine print. If you'd bothered to read the fine print, you'd notice that the Crystal Clear promo only applies to the following G4s:

M8359LL/A (733) , M8360LL/A (867), and M8361LL/A (Dual 800)

And the following displays:

M7928ZM/A (15), M7649ZM/A (17), and M8058ZM/A (22).

Any new or revised products released at MWSF will carry a new product number. Thus, this offer would not apply to any new G4s, G5s, or displays apple may release ay MWSF. This of course rules out your inference that Apple will release revved G4s rather than G5s at MWSF. It also doesn't mean Apple has noting new for us at MWSF.

All we can tell from the extension of the offer is that Apple wants to make EXTRA sure they clear their stock of current G4s and/or displays. We can't logically tell if they're doing this to so they can release new PowerMacs on February 1, or if they're doing this so any remnants of the current stock will sell through after the introduction of a new product at MWSF.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    Someone remind me not to click on topics started by NeoMac in the future.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I seem to recall Apple still offering the old Powermac 533 with a mitsu monitor for education customers only at a nice discount. Hardly unprecedented for Apple to keep clear out an old model with some sort of deal as the new models begin their retail lives.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    [quote]Originally posted by SkullMac:

[QB]

Any new or revised products released at MWSF will carry a new product number. Thus, this offer would not apply to any new G4s, G5s, or displays apple may release ay MWSF. This of course rules out your inference that Apple will release revved G4s rather than G5s at MWSF. It also doesn't mean Apple has noting new for us at MWSF.

QB]<hr></blockquote>

So what you're saying is that this means absolutely NOTHING. We're back to square one again?

• Reply 10 of 46
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Um, thanks for the great thread title.

&lt;flogs NeoMac in forehead&gt;
  • Reply 10 of 46
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Or it could be a typo. :cool:
  • Reply 12 of 46
    I believe that the "Crystal Clear Savings" promotion is going to be offered even with the arrival of G5's. The Apple displays are a bit overpriced and the G5 may be more expensive than the current Powermac line, therefore making the LCD savings necessary. If i dont know then who knows?
  • Reply 13 of 46
    I'm wondering what this means re: moving the current inventory. Are they not meeting with previous expectations, and have to extend the offer to clear the channels? I'm asking purely from an investor's point of view, of course.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    They just caused a big stir with the whole MWSF keynote thing, so they have to sweeten the pot a little to sell their current machines...

This wouldn't be the first time they had a promo expire after a show, either. They've done it with PowerBooks at least once. It could mean that they won't actually ship the new PowerMacs until February, or it could mean that they're preparing to have to do some serious channel clearing through January, regardless of when the new models appear.

They could also change the promo's expiration date. They've done that, too.
  • Reply 15 of 46
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I don't think this means anything. Like other people have said, it would only apply to the old G4s so it wouldn't matter if newer G4s or G5s came out. They wouldn't get the deal.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott H.:

<strong>Someone remind me not to click on topics started by NeoMac in the future.</strong><hr></blockquote>

LoL I second this motion
  • Reply 17 of 46

<strong>Someone remind me not to click on topics started by NeoMac in the future.</strong><hr></blockquote>

LoL I second this motion
  • Reply 18 of 46
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    [quote]Originally posted by Fluffy:

<strong>

Seriously, I'm more interested in what this says about the possibility of new displays at MWSF. Does this mean no 17/19/22 lineup?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree. Not because I want one, but if they keep the 15" LCD in the lineup does this make it more or less likely that the new iMac will have a15" LCD too?

Chris
  • Reply 19 of 46

<strong>

Someone remind me not to click on topics started by NeoMac in the future.</strong><hr></blockquote>

[quote]Originally posted by sjpsu:

<strong>

LoL I second this motion</strong><hr></blockquote>

Cout me in too.

• Reply 20 of 46
    Please tell me where in that Apple stated they won't be releasing G5s at MacWorld San Francisco. That's what I thought.