What is the best NOS (Network Operating System) out there today?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What is the BEST NOS (Network operating system) out there today?

Windows might be the most widely used (I don't know) but I want to know what the opinion is out there on the best...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    i dont really know cause i dont do networking, but wouldnt OS X server be the obvious choice?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    IDNWTBNOSI (I Don't Know What the Best Network Operating System is)

NN3? (Novell Netware 3?)
  • Reply 3 of 7
    OSX is the safest and best. according to this article, Linux was broken into even more then Windows...:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...d&sid=95573662
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Well I have not handeled OSX server... I asume it is a great OS for many network jobs.

That said I would point out FreeBSD (www.freebsd.org).

It is safe, and powerfull for almost all the network jobs that I can think of right now.

Linux is another good choice... however to keep it safe you need to update it every so often, per program. This can be a pain for a sys admins but not if you do some creative tricks.

But yes... FreeBSD would be my suggestion. The 4.9 release would be a good start.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

according to this article, Linux was broken into even more then Windows...:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...d&sid=95573662

i dont believe it.

i've heard (and believe) that openbsd is extremely secure. there web page says "only one remote hole in the default install, in more than 7 years." that's pretty damned good. they make security a priority.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    well the test was done by mi2g. I'm sure they are pretty knowledgable.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Most of the Linux systems were out of date and in need of software patches... you have to keep on top of them or script kiddies will get you. Damn government appointed union workers just don't cut it sometime... gives Linux a bad name.