How often do you eat fast food? (Plus, McDonald's eliminates super size)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well, I see that McDonald's will be cutting out the super size option. It was good while it lasted, I guess, though I have never consumed a super fry, seems a little excessive.

Anyhow, the real question, how often do you eat fast food? I usually eat it about once a week, although my definition of this is getting a single burrito or hamburger and eating it on the way to school, not a 1200 calorie meal (or whatever a big mac meal costs)

I have an uncle who ate McDonald's (next door to his pet shop) for lunch every day for like 30 years. Then he sold his shop. He is about 6' and weighs about 170 i'd say. Not fat.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Used to eat a Whopper about once every four or five months but now I just don't
  • Reply 2 of 52
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Just had a medium #1 at Burger King- lettuce and tomato only. I usually go out to eat before my night class, but I decided to write a paper an hour before it was due. So I didn't get a chance to eat. Those are the times you love ordering fast food.
  • Reply 3 of 52
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    whats this about mickey d's dropping super sizes? wtf. i live by those fries.

up to like 2 weeks ago, i was eating fast food like 4/5 times a week. pizza mostly. but budget cuts have forced me to learn how to cook.
  • Reply 4 of 52
    For me, it's at least 3 times a week. \

There's a Chick-fil-A on campus and it's the only close eating establishment that is still serving lunch when I get out of some of my classes. Chicken sandwich, fries, and water is my typical meal there.

The alternatives? Stone Willy's pizza, Taco Bell, and the dining hall. The dining hall serves only cheeseburgers after about 1:30. Well, there's the salad bar at the dining hall too, but it was recently linked to an outbreak of norovirus to some 100+ students.

• Reply 5 of 52
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    I stay away from fast food most of the time, and McDonald's was cut right out of my diet long ago.

If I'm really hungry after one of my night classes, sometimes I'll stop in at Wendy's. Harvey's is really better, though. That Big Harv is a beast.
  • Reply 6 of 52
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I don't eat any fast food, save In n' Out Burger and that's only once in a while.

Its kinda nasty and doesn't really appeal to me.
  • Reply 7 of 52
    Brad, are you at Duke? I've applied there for this upcoming fall and didn't realise there was a Chick-Fil-A there! I don't eat much fast food here in the UK (primarily because it's worse than in the US and cost a lot more) but I am very partial to a Chick-Fil-A Sandwich when I visit the states!
  • Reply 8 of 52
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I don't remember the last time i eated in a fast food. it was a long time ago.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Chick-Fil-A...Harvey's?

I've never heard of those to be honest.

I eat...I'd say more then rarely, but probably only once or twice a month. For the life of me, there is something about a McDonalds double cheese burger that is the most delicious out of all the fast food cheap burgers. It's simply delicious. The way I look at it there really is only two meals you can get when you go to McDonalds.

Meal 1:

Super Size #2 (Two Cheeseburgers, Fries, Drink)

Or

Meal 2:

-4 Double cheese burgers

-Fries

Edit: If this no more super size is true it's very sad. What next no $1 menu?
  • Reply 10 of 52
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    While I eat fast food a couple times a week, I try to eat at the more "upscale" places like Chipotle, Panera Bread, and Subway. The next tier down is Backyard Burger, Arby's, and Wendy's (Spicy Chicken sandwich, specifically).
  • Reply 11 of 52
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    penn has an astoundingly large selection of great food carts (almost all zagat rated)... while it is fast, i don't consider these fast food...
  • Reply 12 of 52
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I eat Chik-Fil-A 3 or 4 times a week, definitely. I either get the lemonade or water or maybe a diet coke (it is palatable, cutting down the sugar). I eat from a burger joint maybe once a week (Wendy's or Whataburger).

I am glad to see the supersizing done away with. I hope this trend continues.
  • Reply 13 of 52
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    When I first started college a few years ago, I used to get fast food fairly often. It wasn't good, I admit, but at the time I was taking a commuter train into Boston and time was short. Generally, I'd sprint out of class to get on the subway, run to North Station, and depending on whether the train was pulling out of the station or not, I'd get a burger and fries at the McDonald's they had at North station. Overpriced like you wouldn't believe, but it was good to finally eat something after a long day of classes, and I was able to eat it on the train home while getting some work done.

It didn't take long for me to get really sick of McDonald's food, and I haven't been to one in years. After the trains I took broke down 3 times in a 2 week period, causing me to quit classes, I had to start driving in to make sure I actually made it on time. Now, I just get some food from Wendy's from time to time, but it's rare. Once in a while, I'll go to Chili's or Texas Road House but again, it's rare to eat out.
  • Reply 14 of 52
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    All the effin' time.

Nothing like going to KFC and gorging yourself on a 3 piece thigh/leg combo PLUS 20 piece hot wings. Raising my cholesterol? Yes. Gaining wight? Nope.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Roughly once a month I partake of a cheeseburger (two burgers sandwiching some cheese, battered and fried) supper (supper => "with chips"). Delicious.
  • Reply 16 of 52
    ganondorfganondorf Posts: 573member
    I eat fast food about 3 or 4 times a week, so I chose "every day".
  • Reply 17 of 52
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Meal 2:

-4 Double cheese burgers

-Fries

FOUR Double cheeseburgers? Either you metabolise like a champ or you have to butter your thighs when going through a doorway
  • Reply 18 of 52
    kirklandkirkland Posts: 594member
    Is there a link anywhere to a news story about McDonalds dropping the supersize?
  • Reply 19 of 52
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kirkland

Is there a link anywhere to a news story about McDonalds dropping the supersize?

You mean you don't like it when people don't provide references? I thought I was the only one...

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/03/02/mcd....ap/index.html
  • Reply 20 of 52
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    never in practise. maybe 1-6 times a year, and mostly an ice cream or salad on those places. there was one great family owned fast food place in harlem, i liked their greek salad .. but then, can that be seen as fast food if its just fresh ingredients and without dressing?