Anyone try acupuncture to heal pain?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've had enough of this tendonitis in both of my elbows. Golfer's elbow is what it's commonly referred as when the pain is on the inner part of the arm (versus tennis elbow which affects the outer part).

It's gotten so bad that I can barely curl a 5lb. dumbell. And after repeated exercises designed to strenthen the muscles connecting to the elbow, the pain is still there.

I'm thinking of alternative means such as acupuncture to rid me of this. Anyone have success or tried this ancient form of healing?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    seanmseanm Posts: 69member
    I tried acupuncture a few years ago for pain in the upper extremities. While it was a generally relaxing and positive experience, I noticed no decrease in the amount of pain.

That doesn't mean it won't work for you though.

On a slightly unrelated note, if you want to give your arm a rest from mousing, you could pick up a wireless mouse with a ball for navigation and try to learn to use it with your feet. Left big toe to navigate and right big toe to click the buttons. I know it sounds weird but it is actually quite doable.

Hope you can find some relief!

-sean
  • Reply 2 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I've had acupuncture once, as a teenager... a buddy and I were screwing around in the snow, and he shoved me into a snowbank... which was covering a fire hydrant.

My elbow hit it, I couldn't move my arm, and it swelled like a balloon.

Go to MD. "Well, nothing we can do for you, it's not broken, go home and ice it, maybe take some aspirin." Gee, thanks doc, and here's your $800 for an emergency visit. That was useful.

On a whim, Mom called her chiropractor "I know this isn't his back, but could you take a look at it?"

Four needles were inserted into my hand, one into my shoulder. I *watched* it deflate, and all the pain went away, and I could move it. Better yet, it stayed like that after he removed the needles.

So... one for one for this patient. YMMV. I've had other people say it didn't do squat for them, for <name your affliction>, and others still swear by it. *shrug*
  • Reply 3 of 6
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Go to MD. "Well, nothing we can do for you, it's not broken, go home and ice it, maybe take some aspirin." Gee, thanks doc, and here's your $800 for an emergency visit. That was useful.

*shrug*

For the record my wife who is a MD take only 30 ? for an emergency visit. According to the french law she can't ask more.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Nice.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    Tried it once for back pain. Did help a bit, but what I noticed since they were sticking the needles in me everywhere, the rest of my body, especially my legs felt revitalized. Later I find out that a bad back can put strain on your legs from a "real" doctor.

Usually you don't focus on one area, but on the body as a whole, as the rest of the body can overcompensate for a weak area - and must be treated accordingly... or so the pin doc told me...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    norfanorfa Posts: 171member
    I had accupuncture for a back injury years ago. My regular doctor who was an anestsiologist spent 6 months of his life in China to learn it and used it all the time, no extra charge. After my back injury, I was able to sit up on his table, the first time I was able to sit up normally in three days. There was still pain, but I was able to function, and was back at work two days later. It seems to work a bit differently for everyone, but you can say the same thing about most drugs. If you can afford it, I'd say go for it.