cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

It won't Hide apps randomly...

Is it supposed to?
  • Reply 23 of 100
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Not to go too far OT, but I've had some strange behavior with 10.3.2 (7D24) too. Recently, for no apparent reason, everything froze. The dock didn't work, the clock didn't update, nothing. It was very strange. I had to reboot to get out of it. Even ssh'ing into the machine didn't work. I didn't get a "host not found" error or anything, just a long time of nothing going on. Very odd.

I get the very same thing with 10.3.2 on my PowerBook. I thought it might be hardware related because it had just been in for repair and Apple have an uncanny knack of breaking my PowerBook in transit when it has been away for repairs. Just to be sure I thought I'd do a clean install of 10.3.2 first to check if it was maybe a system corruption. As soon as I restarted after the install I experienced the same system freeze I had been experiencing before. I then thought that I should just install 10.3 since the freezing had only started shortly after I had updated after it had come back from repair. Sure enough when I had installed just 10.3 the freezing stopped completely and my PowerBook is now working like a champ.

Hopefully 10.3.3 will solve the freezing but I'm not holding my breath.
  • Reply 24 of 100
    Could the people that have played with this update tell me if it has fixed the slow start up times that 10.3.2 has. My dual started up in less than 20sec under 10.3.1 yet when i updated to 10.3.2 it has gone up to 1:30min.

Frank_t
  • Reply 25 of 100
    I hope it fixes all the funky 10.3 problems with network shares not showing up on desktop or on left pane. I also hope it uses "hard mounts" and not "soft mounts" too. I think AFp and SMB in general are a little freaky in 10.3.2. I have a LAN of 110 Macs and 110 PCs with Mac and PC servers, and panther is a pain in the butt right now!
  • Reply 26 of 100
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Not to go too far OT, but I've had some strange behavior with 10.3.2 (7D24) too. Recently, for no apparent reason, everything froze. The dock didn't work, the clock didn't update, nothing. It was very strange. I had to reboot to get out of it. Even ssh'ing into the machine didn't work. I didn't get a "host not found" error or anything, just a long time of nothing going on. Very odd.

See this Ars thread, that Apple Support forums thread, etc. Shit happens. I've had 3 such freezes (their distinctive feature is that if you wait for some 20 minutes, a freeze time-out occurs and things are back to normal). The mouse cursor is moving OK, but no clicks and keystrokes work. Nothing is logged during the freeze. More often than not the system appears to be busy during the freeze. SSH does not work because it does not get enough resources for communication. Difficult to reproduce. There is already a dozen of methods to help it, but none of them seem reliable because there are actually several types of similar freezes and people often mistake one for another. The most popular workaround is to kill crashreportd.
  • Reply 27 of 100
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

See this Ars thread, that Apple Support forums thread, etc. Shit happens. I've had 3 such freezes (their distinctive feature is that if you wait for some 20 minutes, a freeze time-out occurs and things are back to normal). The mouse cursor is moving OK, but no clicks and keystrokes work. Nothing is logged during the freeze. More often than not the system appears to be busy during the freeze. SSH does not work because it does not get enough resources for communication. Difficult to reproduce. There is already a dozen of methods to help it, but none of them seem reliable because there are actually several types of similar freezes and people often mistake one for another. The most popular workaround is to kill crashreportd.

Thanks! I just had another one this morning. One question: how do I kill crashreportd if I can't get into the machine?
  • Reply 28 of 100
    Quote:

Originally posted by frank_t

Could the people that have played with this update tell me if it has fixed the slow start up times that 10.3.2 has. My dual started up in less than 20sec under 10.3.1 yet when i updated to 10.3.2 it has gone up to 1:30min.

Have you seen this yet? Many people have reported great success with it.
  • Reply 29 of 100
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yes Brad I agree with others here: servers don't show up in Finder sometimes and yes I checked it off to show up. cooop's a smartass
  • Reply 30 of 100
    Got a reply e-mail from Fryke about 10.3.3. Size is about 70MB (67.8MB?) and it says it needs 274MB when expanded. Fryke says though that after installation, it doesn't take all of the 274MB space.
  • Reply 31 of 100
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    New Build... seems it has no known issues remaining...

Quote:

February 27, 2004 - On Thursday, Apple provided developers with a new pre-release seed of Mac OS X 10.3.3, sources said.

The seed, which is labeled build 7F34, is Apple's third widespread seed of the Panther update. In a seed note, Apple provided the same list of updated components it released with the last build, 7F32. A brief list of areas for testers to focus their efforts on was similar as well, but also included "application launch times."

Suggesting that Mac OS X 10.3.3 is nearing release, the only "known issue" was that the update's Knowledge Base article is a placeholder, and is not online yet.

As with the previous seed, Apple provided a list of bug fixes organized by component. New bug fixes to this seed include AS DS Plug-in, X Update, and FireWire.

• Reply 32 of 100
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Have you seen this yet? Many people have reported great success with it.

I will try that but when 10.3.3 is out will it it stuff up as maybe 10.3.3 will try to fix that issue as well?

Frank_t
  • Reply 33 of 100
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShallowThroat

i will do some testing with the sound card later and report back, but so far, looks like a great (and BIG (274megs!) ) update is on the way

-ST

Probably a dumb question but does an upgrade of this size use all 274 megs or does it overwrite many of the files?
  • Reply 34 of 100
    10.3.2: POWERMAC G5 1.6GHz/1.256GB(RAM)

=======================

>>3 kernal panics already (installed it about a week ago, after using a perfectly stable 10.3)

CAN'T WAIT FOR 10.3.3..OR 10.3.

Especially, what's the deal with UT2004 demo...can't barely play it. (Apparently with updates in 10.3.3, the problems are on Apple's side.)

-walloo.
  • Reply 35 of 100
    Quote:

Originally posted by willywalloo

10.3.2: POWERMAC G5 1.6GHz/1.256GB(RAM)

=======================

>>3 kernal panics already (installed it about a week ago, after using a perfectly stable 10.3)

CAN'T WAIT FOR 10.3.3..OR 10.3.

Especially, what's the deal with UT2004 demo...can't barely play it. (Apparently with updates in 10.3.3, the problems are on Apple's side.)

-walloo.

Who says that? The problem is a bug in UT2k4's sound code.
  • Reply 36 of 100
    Anyone seen the latest build (is the update really going to be THAT big?) in action since TS posted the news update?
  • Reply 37 of 100
    mcsjgsmcsjgs Posts: 244member
    I am going to go out on a limb and say that Apple will release 10.3.3 tomorrow, March 3rd, between 12:30 PM and 1:30 PM PST (3:30 - 4:30 EST).
  • Reply 38 of 100
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mcsjgs

I am going to go out on a limb and say that Apple will release 10.3.3 tomorrow, March 3rd, between 12:30 PM and 1:30 PM PST (3:30 - 4:30 EST).

Why you do such things to your limbs?

What makes you say it will be out today? I wouldn't mind having it today

Frank_t
  • Reply 39 of 100
    Let the countdown begin...

...I need to eat something before I pass out from the excitement!

• Reply 40 of 100
    mcsjgsmcsjgs Posts: 244member
    Sound of limb cracking...and breaking.