Powerbook Warping

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi, I have a powerbook 12in and it is warping.Is it normal. And how much will it cost to have it fixed. Also I have a friend who has the same computer and specs as I do and his screen is warped so bad its hangin on by a thread. Why is there warping on the screen. There is no heat in the screen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    have any photos. not sure what you mean by warping.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

have any photos. not sure what you mean by warping.

No, Warping is when the aluminuim gets hot enough it starts to bend bends off its fitting.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Maybe it's just the feet that fell off? Happened to mine.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Maybe it's just the feet that fell off? Happened to mine.

Feet are fine all there its just the aluminum bending due to the processers heat.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    how do you know it is due to the processor's heat?
  • Reply 6 of 17
    the heat required to make alluminum mallable would be enough to start you on fire. it's not the heat that's doing it.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

the heat required to make alluminum mallable would be enough to start you on fire. it's not the heat that's doing it.

Yeah. looked up the softening point of aluminum and it is 700 K, roughly 350 K above the temperature your computer could reasonably be considered to be. It ain't the heat. Did you sit on it?
  • Reply 8 of 17
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Maybe it was left in an oven.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jubelum

Maybe it was left in an oven.

I thought i told you to don't reply to this topic.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

I thought i told you to don't reply to this topic.

uh oh jubelum, you've incurred his wrath! watch out...he'll haxxor you
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

uh oh jubelum, you've incurred his wrath! watch out...he'll haxxor you

May god bless your soul. some one actually respects my topics and not insults me on my topic for them not believing in it. Thank you wrong robot.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    quagmire (an appropriate screen name), I've looked at some of your posts around here and can't tell if your a purposeful troll or a somewhat clueless 14-year old. If your not a troll, it would help your case if you could explain your problems with a little more detail-pictures would help. The people here at AI can be very helpful but the tone and, frankly the topics of your posts, seem less above the board than from below the bridge.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Hey, whatever dude. I'll post when and where ever I want, within posting guidelines. Even in "YOUR" threads.

My sister is having the warping issue. And Apple told her it was "normal" per thier recent release on the topic. I am holding off on getting a new PB until there is some sort of resolution of the topic. The next (supposedly) G4 does not really better my current 'book, either.

I look forward to the day in about 2009 when I finally am rid of every Moto CPU in my Mac office.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

some one actually respects my topics

when your topic states that the heat from your processor is enough to make your powerbook's aluminum casing bend, i don't think you get much respect right off the bat.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    OK this is post number what? (edit-#15) and I'm still not sure what this thread is about! I'm guessing we are not talking about some G4-related China-syndrome that is turning your powerbook into the metalic equivalent of play-dough. Rather, I guess you are complaining about some slight difference in how the powerbook lid closes on one side versus the other. If so, I suggest you open the lid and use the powerbook to do something useful rather than stare at its imperfectly closed lid.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    I know what he's talking about... my 12" powerbook has it to a slight degree as well. The right side of the lid does not sit flush to the bottom, as it does on the left side. there is a gap between the little pad that protects the screen (the rubber thing) and the palm rest, whereas on the left side, said rubber thing touches the base.

Its not uncommon, well, if we believe Sir De Plume:

http://thinksecret.com/news/warpedlids.html

If the heat of the powerbook was enough to melt the aluminum, i think we'd all be worried about warped 12" 's first, and our powerbooks second.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    it aint the heat...