Democratic VP Candidate. Place your bets.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Edwards? Clark? Richardson? Hillary Clinton?

My bet is on Edwards....but Clark and Clinton are real possibilities. Now, I will say this: The surest way for Kerry to LOSE is to pick Clinton. I think he might do it though.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    no one is stupid enough to pick clinton as a running mate, no one.

I say edwards...
  • Reply 2 of 45
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i'm betting on edwards, since he was the second closest to getting the nomination. but i wouldn't be surprised if clark was picked instead. i don't think hilary would, should nor will be picked. from what i recall, she doesn't [yet?] have aspirations for getting in that house.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    I think he'll go with Edwards.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Michael Moore.
  • Reply 5 of 45
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    billy sunday
  • Reply 6 of 45
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Aragorn.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

i'm betting on edwards, since he was the second closest to getting the nomination. but i wouldn't be surprised if clark was picked instead. i don't think hilary would, should nor will be picked. from what i recall, she doesn't [yet?] have aspirations for getting in that house.

She'll run in 2008. No question.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

no one is stupid enough to pick clinton as a running mate, no one.

I say edwards...

Al Gore might have been.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    powerdoc.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Possibly Graham (Florida). Maybe even Richardson (Arizona). The problem is that neither of these guys is very exciting. Richardson was a disasterous energy secretary, so he carries too much baggage. Graham just looks and talks funny.

My bet is on Wesley Clark over John Edwards. Edwards couldn't win enough southern states in the primary, so that won't help Kerry. Clark completely shores up the defense/homeland security issues. Clark can help Kerry immensely in handling Iraq because of his experience at "nation building", so to speak. Being from Arkansas doesn't hurt.

Plus Clark can tap into the "Deaniac" base. The others can't.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    someone from either florida, NY, ohio, texas, or Cali. someplace worth some votes.
  • Reply 12 of 45
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    considering how over-the-top both candidates were in their speeches post super-tuesday, i would have to say they are both trying to mend fences and realize they can help each other. edwards can keep kerry from sounding too patriarchal and grandiose, and kerry can add stature to the young edwards persona.

honestly, i think a kerry/clark ticket would be just "hammer-over-head" about military service. i also think the bitterness of the clinton departure is too soon for hilary. just not liebermann. that was gore's first step in shooting himself in the foot... "joe-mentum" my ass.

though i wouldn't be surprised at all to see a clinton/hart ticket in 2008 (or hart/clinton). i think people will have finally forgotten the somewhat-scandalous departure he made from the presidential races in the 80's, and from what he said on the daily show a couple months ago, he wants hilary to make a go of it whenever she's ready.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

someone from either florida...

of course! kerry/bush! that'd throw the republicans for a loop.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I'm thinking a kerry/edwards ticket seems like a very good possibility, kerry has mentioned how he respects edwards a lot as a friend first and an adversary second.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Agreed, Kerry/Edwards. I've read a lot of praise for Edwards' stump speeches. Add to that, that southern drawl of Edwards does nothing but help when Rove fires off "Massachusetts liberal" volleys.

Screed
  • Reply 16 of 45
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    My money is on Wesley Clark.

What would be really interesting is if Clinton was picked as VP. I'm not talking about Hillary Clinton, but Bill Clinton. It would never happen, but I'd like to see it just to see the Republicans heads burst.

As for Edwards, he continued to go after Kerry and made him spend a lot of money going into Super Tuesday. I think that he put himself in a bad position here.
  • Reply 17 of 45
    madmax559madmax559 Posts: 596member
    clark....

simply because at this point he is much more experienced

than edwards & is somwhat known outside the u.s

...just as powell was liked & respected in other countries
  • Reply 18 of 45
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

My money is on Wesley Clark.

What would be really interesting is if Clinton was picked as VP. I'm not talking about Hillary Clinton, but Bill Clinton. It would never happen, but I'd like to see it just to see the Republicans heads burst.

I was going to reply, but have thought better of it. Have a happy thread.

Aries 1B
  • Reply 19 of 45
    ganondorfganondorf Posts: 573member

FOR DEM VP 2004

I'm telling you, I hadn't paid much attention to Kerry before, but after seeing his "victory speech", I am going to feel almost guilty for casting my vote for the Libertarian candidate. Raising the minimum wage? Preventing companies from shipping jobs overseas? These things may sound good to peons, but to people who understand how the economy works, I'm sorry.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aries 1B

I was going to reply, but have thought better of it. Have a happy thread.

Aries 1B

i don't think it counts as taking the high road if you tell us what you are doing.