Backup up XBox Games

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Some my brothers XBox discs are getting scratched up, so we decided we should back them up. But when I put a XBox disc in, it only shows 13.6 MB of it. How do you copy the whole disc or even get to the other parts in unix? I assume it's only showing part of the disc.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    uh, if i told you i'd have to kill you.

well, actually i'd just have to lock this thread. i'd probably have to say something about checking on filesharing networks for backups of your discs.

of course, then i'd have to tell you that unless your xbox is hacked, it won't be able to play your backups anyway.

but of course i can't tell you any of that as it's a real grey area, so you're on your own.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

but of course i can't tell you any of that as it's a real grey area, so you're on your own.

On the other hand discussing this hurts no one. And there are plenty of countries (like mine) where modding, backups (and to some degree, warez in general) are unquestionably legal.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Cool! Warez is legal in your country (Gonworld) so I guess all of our whining about piracy is for not!

Warez, FULL THROTTLE!!

BTW, if having a thread locked hurts you, then yes, discussing this can hurt people here.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Ok you can lock it I guess it's basically pointless. Just didn't see how this was any worse then talking about how to back up DVD's or programs that can be used. But if it is for some reason then lock this B*** up.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Ok you can lock it I guess it's basically pointless. Just didn't see how this was any worse then talking about how to back up DVD's or programs that can be used. But if it is for some reason then lock this B*** up.

Read alcimedes' post again.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Well I will say this now because this thread has the potential of getting out of hand...

In before lock!

That said, I would suggest taking better care of your CDs... I mean, you pay enough for them. It really isn't that hard...
  • Reply 7 of 9
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

That said, I would suggest taking better care of your CDs... I mean, you pay enough for them. It really isn't that hard...

Actually, there are plenty potential upsides to modding a console other than backups.

- with the XBox, you can replace the standard hard disk, stick in a huge-capacity replacement part and start keeping the disc images there - much easier to just choose the game from a menu than having to dig up the physical disks. I do the same on Windows with DaemonCD (a virtual "disc drive" you load with disc image files). This has the added benefit that the originals become "backups".

- you can use the console to play all kinds of mpeg/xvid/divx etc. video files, making the XBox a media center

- you can play foreign games

- you can play DVDs without the "official" DVD watching package, also from other regions

All these fall under fair use here (Finland). I see no reason why it should be limited or prohibited. Dunno how it is over there.

Murbot, I think your comment was more sarcastic than was called for. I only mentioned warez because I like to speak straight, and the word was being tiptoed around. Sure, it can be left out of the discussion per se, but there's no reason not to talk about the other things you can do with a console. BTW, I buy my games and don't have a modded console...
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Google! Gooogle! Gooooogle! Seriously, when I was trying to figure out how to "back up" Dreamcast games I just googled till I found some helpful instructions.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Well I found a way, but it requires FTP'ing to the XBox and I was hoping for a program like DVDBackup haha