Ipod2 by the end of 04 into mid 05

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
By the sounds of it on other mac rumor sights. The ipod 4th generation will come out. It will look a little diffrent. It could have diffrent color choices like the mini. It will feature an easy battery replacement like the Pb. It may be a little thicker but not much. It will cost the same. May have a memory boost but not likely. How far apple has come in the ipod program it sounds like it m may come out in late 2004 to mid 2005.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    Sources? Of course it will be updated. And hopefully with recording features....
  • Reply 2 of 26
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Sources would be nice, wouldn't they? Or perhaps just spew forth in any one of the many, many iPod discussions currently available in the land of "Future Hardware". A quick search resulted in 17 threads in the past 3 months already dedicated to the beloved iPod, any one of which would've made a nice home for that post.

Of course they will be updated in a year's time. If there were any details to this post, it may have peeked my interest rather than peeking my blood pressure.

\
  • Reply 3 of 26
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Nitpick: It would have piqued your interest.

On that note, off we go to Digital Hub, home of all things iPod (even speculation!).
  • Reply 4 of 26
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Well, I doubt it would get thicker as Apple doesn't roll back features on newer generation models. I also doubt the removable battery idea -- they already have a replacement program -- for $99.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by k squared

Well, I doubt it would get thicker as Apple doesn't roll back features on newer generation models. I also doubt the removable battery idea -- they already have a replacement program -- for $99.

If you consider thickness a feature. But the 15" powerbook got slightly thicker with the aluminum rev, so I wouldn't put some extra thickness past them if it increased some important feature.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    m.o.s.tm.o.s.t Posts: 255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

By the sounds of it on other mac rumor sights. The ipod 4th generation will come out. It will look a little diffrent. It could have diffrent color choices like the mini. It will feature an easy battery replacement like the Pb. It may be a little thicker but not much. It will cost the same. May have a memory boost but not likely. How far apple has come in the ipod program it sounds like it m may come out in late 2004 to mid 2005.

I would say a 4th generation is due... Apple will alow HP to use the 3rd generation... so yeah its on the way...

In a some what related news artical....

By Donna Fuscaldo, Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--Apple Computer Inc.(NASDAQ-NMS:AAPL) (AAPL) may have morphed into a niche computer player, catering largely to the creative community, but its iPod digital music player, loved by many, could be the "killer ap" that pushes it out to the wider masses.

At least that is what Merrill Lynch analyst Steven Milunovich predicts.

In a research report Monday, he said the success of the iPod demonstrates Apple's "tech know-how and strong brand" and could make the company "relevant again."

And the iPod isn't expected to be small business for Apple. Milunovich estimates iPod's revenue to come in around $1 billion this year, contributing 15 cents to per-share earnings. By fiscal year 2006, the analyst said revenue for the iPod could double to $2 billion, adding 25 cents to the EPS.

Indeed, Apple has been enjoying success with its iPod line of digital music players. It latest installment, the iPod mini, which began shipping in February, saw more than 100,000 pre-orders, said Apple. The company's iTunes pay-for-music download service has also been very popular, with Merrill's Milunovich estimating roughly 30,000 songs were sold from last April through January at 99 cents each.

Still, while some critics question how significant iPod revenue will turn out to be, Milunovich said he is confident in its success.

"We're more optimistic in believing that iPod is not just a one-hit wonder that will be knocked off," said the analyst.

Recently shares of Apple were trading up 0.1%, or 3 cents, to $23.95, on volume of 2.3 million shares. Average daily volume is 5.3 million shares.

Milunovich doesn't own shares of Apple, but Merrill intends to seek an investment banking relationship with Apple.

Officials at Apple weren't immediately available to comment.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Are there any sources that we can see for these statements? At all?
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Nitpick: It would have piqued your interest.

And it would have peaked his blood pressure.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I think a redesigned iPod will surface this summer.

The iPod is Apples highest priority right now and computers are now playing second fiddle.

2+ months into the year and not a single update proves my point.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Quote:

They give you a new ipod with none of your songs on it. You have to do all that hassel every 18 months or so. The replaceable battery is needed in the ipod
  • Reply 11 of 26
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

They give you a new ipod with none of your songs on it. You have to do all that hassel every 18 months or so. The replaceable battery is needed in the ipod

Not really. Apple wont waste its development and design time on making a replaceable battery, when the rest of the industry has the same problem. I dont see camcorder batteries lasting for 5 years. Apple should keep their replacement policy intact, and they will since it is shrewd business. 2 years into your iPod's life and its battery dies, "hmm should I buy the $99 replacement or should I buy a whole new UberPod for $200 more?"8)

Ahhh, business.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    With HP due out with their iPod, Apple will surely make design changes. A preview? Look at the mini. I suspect the new model will be slightly smaller but still have the larger screen and scroll-wheel (the new one). It will be aluminum too. A color screen? Possibly to differentiate it from the mini. A new battery design will increase play time by 20%. I don't believe Apple will ever add a radio. The whole idea of the iPod is to play the songs you want, not what some radio station offers.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

The whole idea of the iPod is to play the songs you want, not what some radio station offers.

People don't always listen to the radio solely for the music.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    About a year ago, Apple officially posted job offers looking for engineers with MPEG 4 experience for their iPod development team... Makes me think that a Video iPod ("iPod AV"?) seems to be possible this summer! Fingers crossed!
  • Reply 15 of 26
    quagmire, do you own an iPod? Do you have first hand experience with battery life on them? If the answer is no then why are you lifting the whole 18 month thing so high? It makes you sound like a troll. Guess what? Batterys die, it's right there in the chemistry and physics text books we used in highschool.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:

I've had my first generation 5 GB iPod for almost 24 months and I still get 8 hours of battery life. In fact, a lot of people have been using their first generation iPods for 18 months or longer and haven't had battery problems. Just because two pissed off buyers make a movie about defacing property does not mean there is a problem. GET OVER IT ALREADY. The Dell player has TWO non-replaceable batteries in it -- and Dell doesn't seem too worried about it.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Also it may have a gps or some kind of anti-theft system on the ipod
  • Reply 18 of 26
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Also it may have a gps or some kind of anti-theft system on the ipod

Hmmm... sounds a lot like things being discussed in this thread...

Oh, the incestuous tendencies of the rumor/fact/total speculation cycle.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    iWalk! iWalk!
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:

Actually, the only thing people keep bitching about is the battery!

Give people a way to change the battery and the iPod is -

Perfect!