The stupidest story line ever?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It has to be "On Deadly Ground" doesn't it? I mean "Steven Seagal stars as an environmentally concerned oil-rig troubleshooter who clashes with his employer (Michael Caine)". I'm hoping Joan Chen makes it all worthwhile...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    drumline was the dumbest story line ever
  • Reply 2 of 40
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

drumline was the dumbest story line ever

yeah, but it was still a good movie, that is, it was entertaining, so, mission accomplished.

But of course, even the worst movies can be made entertaining when in good company
  • Reply 3 of 40
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    "The Core." The core of the earth has stopped spinning, and we have to send in a special digging vessel to blow it up with a nuke and make it spin again or we'll all die in three months.

Oh, and of course the "physics genius" is played by some idiot with spiked hair, and there's some sort of mock "tension" between him and some chick. I for one have nothing against spiked hair, but physics geniuses have absolutely no desire to maintain their appearance and thus never have spiked hair. And he's only like 28 also.

It's a damn stupid movie
  • Reply 4 of 40
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    Hey now, there are a few great movies with stupid storylines ? The Big Lebowski, for example.

Let's take it a little easy on the "physics geniuses care nothing about personal appearance," OK Luca?
  • Reply 5 of 40
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    oh yeah, 'the core' was terrible, honestly I don't even know how that one got green-lighted.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

oh yeah, 'the core' was terrible, honestly I don't even know how that one got green-lighted.

"Think Armageddon underground!"
  • Reply 7 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Daver

Let's take it a little easy on the "physics geniuses care nothing about personal appearance," OK Luca?

Okay, I'll rephrase that. None of the physics geniuses that I have met care about their appearance. They all look scuzzy. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt .
  • Reply 8 of 40
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

"Think Armageddon underground!"

When I saw the trailer for it, I said to my classmate Alex, "Hey, it's just Deep Impact in reverse!"

Quote:

Originally posted by fantastic happy dinner man

It has to be "On Deadly Ground" doesn't it? I mean "Steven Seagal stars as an environmentally concerned oil-rig troubleshooter who clashes with his employer (Michael Caine)". I'm hoping Joan Chen makes it all worthwhile...

Did you just see it on TBS too? Anyway, you left out the part about him being some sort of ex-CIA/NSA spook.

Frankly, I didn't mind the story line. Okay, so it was crap. But hey, he's saving the environment, AND shooting up guys all at the same time. An action movie with a socially conscious message -- hey, you've got to give Segal brownie points for originality. (I don't know of any other such action movie -- would Tears of the Sun with Bruce Willis count?)

I just still don't understand how the whole oil rig/refinery could blow up without causing an oil spill, or at least a major environmental catastrophe. I mean, all of those hydrocarbons burning...that can't be good, can it?

My vote for dumbest story line ever has to go to any movie starring Lindsay Lohan, Amanda Bynes, Mandy Moore, or those bloody Olson Twins.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

"The Core." The core of the earth has stopped spinning, and we have to send in a special digging vessel to blow it up with a nuke and make it spin again or we'll all die in three months.

Oh, and of course the "physics genius" is played by some idiot with spiked hair, and there's some sort of mock "tension" between him and some chick. I for one have nothing against spiked hair, but physics geniuses have absolutely no desire to maintain their appearance and thus never have spiked hair. And he's only like 28 also.

It's a damn stupid movie

How many physics geniuses do you know? Honestly, physics geniuses are rare. You can find them in history books, usually. I think the only one who was exceedingly poorly groomed was Einstein.

John Nash, despite his little episode with schizo, was supposedly a very well kept man. Granted he wasn't a physics genius, but math and physics can be pretty close.

Worst plot? "Pretty Woman." Seriously. The scene with Richard Gere in the Lotus makes me cry, and it sets up the viewer for 2 hours of a pain far worse than the one that comes when you realize you need to overhaul your sychros.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

How many physics geniuses do you know? Honestly, physics geniuses are rare. You can find them in history books, usually. I think the only one who was exceedingly poorly groomed was Einstein.

John Nash, despite his little episode with schizo, was supposedly a very well kept man. Granted he wasn't a physics genius, but math and physics can be pretty close.

Geez, I'm getting ripped apart for that.

Let me make it more clear: of all the people I know who are very, very good at physics (maybe not technically "geniuses," but they certainly are compared to me), there is not one who seems to really care about his outward appearance. I have taken a number of science classes in college, and many science professors show signs of poor grooming. Physics professors are definitely the worst.

As far as my initial comment, what I was trying to get across was that it seemed like they were trying too hard when casting. They got some guy who fills this hip, modern stereotype to play a role that is absolutely not suited to someone like that. It just wasn't convincing at all (as if the rest of the movie was).
  • Reply 11 of 40
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Geez, I'm getting ripped apart for that.

. . . .

Don't worry about it. If you believe that statistics can be useful in analysis, stereotypes are useful. I certainly think they are. But you can go ahead and stereotype all of academia if you'd like. Most professors I know are poorly groomed. Engineers and math folks are the worst, if only because the culture somehow developed that way. There's no precedent for dressing up in the lab.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Even Matrix was a pretty good film, the story line was stupid. And let's say one of the most stupid.

Human turns into living cell, and maintain in a state of perpetual dream for that purpose. This is really stupid for several reasons :

- if they are only interest in energy, there is no need for virtual world, the basic activity of a unconscienscious brain is sufficiant

- human are very poor battery cells : maintening them in life certainly recquires more energy than it creates.

The implications of this human slavery is fascinating, but the original statement is totally inept.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    One ring to rule them all...

• Reply 14 of 40
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Beverly Hills Ninja.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Daver

Hey now, there are a few great movies with stupid storylines ? The Big Lebowski, for example.

The Big Lebowksi, despite being a character driven comedy, has the complex plot of a film-noir-style detective thriller. I cannot imagine how it can possibly be described as stupid.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Flashdance.

Female welder by day, exotic dancer by night, with aspirations of making it to some ballet conservatory.

Mind you, that bra removal scene was priceless.

And no, the Big Lebowski is gold. One of my all time favs.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

The Big Lebowksi, despite being a character driven comedy, has the complex plot of a film-noir-style detective thriller. I cannot imagine how it can possibly be described as stupid.

"All Dude ever wanted was his rug back."
  • Reply 18 of 40
    Wheres your car dude?
  • Reply 19 of 40
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Weekend at Bernies.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Weekend at Bernies.

That's what I was gonna say, so I'll offer up Mannequin.

Jeff